JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We have a MAJOR wildfire burning six miles from home as I write at midnight on Monday night.

A few words from a firefighter who served in what we referred to as the wildland fire capital of the planet, Shasta County, CA. I'm now back in my native Washington State and today (Monday) was a massive fire event day in Eastern Washington.

In Shasta County you could be assured that at some point in time virtually every part of the county would burn at one time or another, or several times over. Redding, CA, in Shasta County, virtually hand-grenaded a couple of years ago after we'd left the state.

One thing you learn is to separate yourself from any emotional attachment to any of your belongings. The things you can't replace which are of value to you are those that you should have ready for the five minute evac. Photos, videos, laptops, important documents (including in your electronic devices), tools, family heirlooms, or personal treasures. In our first evac, before I signed onto the fire department, we had advance notice, and a prized mule deer buck mount was among my pickup truck full of 'things'. At some point the most important things simply never left a couple of boxes stored within easy access. We didn't even hang them back onto the walls.

Can you survive on the road out, your escape route, if stalled in traffic or by a fallen tree? Do you have a secondary escape route, should the fire block your planned route, even if you have to escape by foot? Think about that.

When you've seen as many people lose everything as I've seen as a firefighter, it puts things in context. I remember hearing about a high school kid who put his English book in the center of his living room floor prior to evac. Their home was literally across the street from the high school. Sure enough their home was leveled and yes, the hated English book burned...

Compile a list. Try to prioritize in order of importance. USE THE LIST. Your deer mount may be high on the list but due to size you may have to skip over it. You may have some things you just can't haul due to space but you may be able to say, put them on a sidewalk where there's less chance of it burning.

Two important words: DEFENSIBLE SPACE. If we have to roll a structure protection team onto your street we may have two engines to protect seven homes. We quickly assess which homes we have the best chance of saving, as well as whether they'll help us survive should we be trapped without an escape route. Swimming pools are a plus, both as a water source for our engines as well as somewhere to escape if we're overrun by flames.

Cut your dry grass down, move firewood and other flammable's away from your home, leave at least 30' of space between your home and trees or heavy vegetation. Turn sprinklers on in certain scenarios, keeping in mind that if we have to draw water from hydrants and the entire housing tract is running sprinklers then we may not have water for our engines. Also remember that if you're on a well and you lose power then you'll have no water to protect your home, should you stay to do so. Have a generator handy.

Do I recommend you stay? Depends. I've seen major fire events where the majority of homes that survived, which were few, were those which a homeowner still had water to defend the home after sending the family away, or after the fire crews had moved on to the next street to stay ahead of the flames. Too often the flames kick back up and destroy a home AFTER the crews have already saved it.

But also we've had fatalities when fires simply overran any hope of survival. If nothing else, find a giant parking lot and get to the far end of the lot from the approaching flames, adjusting your position as the flames move around you. The heat is excessive and you may die regardless. Saving your home isn't worth losing your life over. Fires can move DAMNED FAST. NEVER underestimate the ability of a raging wildfire to trap you in place.

Today (Monday) we had a large wind event after a month of near drought in Eastern Washington. Massive fires everywhere, ripping across the sage, wheat, and grasslands. One small town, Malden, near Spokane, was overwhelmed with flames before most anyone even knew the fire was approaching. The Post Office, City Hall, and the fire station all burned to the ground, and perhaps 70% of the town. The fire crews were off fighting a fire in another town several miles away, Colfax, which had a large fire as well.

That was the five minute warning crowd, and two minutes for many. If you can't grab your pets or livestock, set them free.

As I'm writing this there's a 20,000+ acre fire burning near our town which started just before noon in 40+ MPH winds. The planes couldn't fly to attack the flames so the fire ran at will. The fire is six miles away and slowly approaching now that the winds have died down and switched direction. I don't think we're threatened. An 80k acre fire is burning less than an hour from us, with our main highway closed in both directions due to separate fires. Our vacation home up north is blocked off due to another fire, with power out to much of the region. I'm listening to fire dispatch as I type.

And most of this has happened IN A SINGLE DAY. I saw the weather report last night which was calling for high winds today and told my other half that things could get tough today, as they did. I had no idea. We'll find out in the morning which other towns were leveled as well.

So walk around your home and garage and barn and the rest and figure out what it is that you'd really hate to live without or can't replace. Maybe move some of it to somewhere safer during fire season. We used to say we had two seasons up in Shasta County. Rainy season and fire season. I got really tired of fires and smoke.

In scouting the fires today and speaking with locals about it as our skies filled with massive columns of smoke, I was honestly stunned at how little fire sense those in my town really had. Guess what? In 40 MPH winds a fire can travel 40 miles in an hour! The fact that it's 20 miles upwind of you with a column of smoke overhead is no reason to relax. That fire can be overwhelming your town in under an hour. OMG... If the smoke's blowing the opposite direction, less cause for alarm. But pay attention to that smoke! And the wind direction! Winds change...

Hope this helps. Now start making that list while hoping you'll never need it. Make a plan for moving things such as your prized Harley, boat, RV, or hot rod into safe open spaces, even the middle of a lawn, should you have no other choice.

Plan ahead. It CAN happen to you. :(

What is the risk for someone living in a city/suburb?

It's full dark here now, were on level 1 evac notice at Mcnary field, just northwest of Turner, west of Aumsville!
Winds still tracking right down on top of us, highway 22! Tons of heavy ash!

I used to live just 1 mile west of McNary - used to have to ride my bicycle out to the airport to retrieve my dad when it was dinnertime.

The wind here has died down so the smoke is moving over the ridge and over my house, but it is very light - so far.

It would be nice if we could get a Beriev BE-200 Altair to work the West Coast fires using the Pacific Ocean water... or at least fire suppressant stuff. View attachment 747080View attachment 747081
For all the crap, the Russians can build some pretty sweet birds... I'd rather have the bigger A-40 Albatross as a firebomber, but Altair would be helpful too.

What is the risk for someone living in a city/suburb?
Depending on the town, it can hit the fan just as bad or worse in a city or urban area. The wind is the major factor. High winds feed flames, keep them low, and push the heat out ahead of them to prepare new fuels for rapid combustion. In low wind situations it's more a matter of having convenient fuels that a random piece of ash can ignite.

Personal observation here about the 747 Global Tanker, during the Napa Valley fires with a close airport, that big bird could make a couple passes per flight, but a pair of S-2 Tracker conversions were doing far more in the same period of time, for much less fuel! The trick is to get the big bomber on a long constant drop line where it's capacity can be best used, spot fighting is a waste, best done with the smaller units! Here in Or. The rotorwing units are better suited for the spot drops! The only place the bigger fixed wing stuff works is on the east side!

Someone was burning slash up on Alston Corners between Rainier and Clatskanie, OR this morning. They got busted and the Fire Department showed up. I really hope that they got fined. The minimum used to be $500, but probably more when burning is banned. We use burn permits in Oregon and if it isn't a burn day, the fine kicks in.

Right now the smoke is pretty thick, grey/red sky, with almost no wind. It smells like smoke in the house - first time ever.

Well, we do have the new Super Puma conversion here, that's a lot bigger capacity then most, and it's fast!
Gotta zoom in real good!
IMG_20200908_103122.jpg

Someone was burning slash up on Alston Corners between Rainier and Clatskanie, OR this morning. They got busted and the Fire Department showed up. I really hope that they got fined. The minimum used to be $500, but probably more when burning is banned. We use burn permits in Oregon and if it isn't a burn day, the fine kicks in.

Yeah, not supposed to burn during a ban, and burn season doesn't start until next week at the earliest anyway - usually June 15th to Sept 15th burning is not allowed in general.

I have a pile of limbs/etc. building up, but everything is so dry here that even if it was legal I would not touch it off. I will wait for the rains.

Right now the smoke is pretty thick, grey/red sky, with almost no wind. It smells like smoke in the house - first time ever.
I was going to mention that anytime you can SMELL smoke it's time for your hackles to go up and start figuring out where the source is. If it's three states away then no worries, but if it suddenly springs up on a windy day then get it figured out. I usually head to high ground or clear area for a look when possible.

Experienced wildland firefighters tend to see the world a little differently than most. It can get irritating for those who co-habitate with us... :(:cool:

Would be a great conversion to fire bombers, the old Lockheed S3-A Viking! Fast, Very agile, long legs, YUGE payload, and quick turn around!
I've long thought those birds would make excellent "air yachts" for private owners, sort of like a stealth business jet.. I mean, who's gonna turn a curious eye to a relatively stodgy little ex mil twinjet? ;)

It's full dark here now, were on level 1 evac notice at Mcnary field, just northwest of Turner, west of Aumsville!
Winds still tracking right down on top of us, highway 22! Tons of heavy ash!
Most of the year, I envy you for your location - not so much today. Hang in there and that goes for all that are dealing with this fire season. So far, we are out of danger, just lots of smoke and light ash.

View attachment 747133
View attachment 747132
My home at 12:30 this afternoon. I'm typing from where we had to evacuate to. I'm really hoping it's still there.
Prayers for you and your family. Looks like you have a lot of defensible space there. Look how DARK it was in the middle of the day when you took those pics!

That reminds me of something I forgot to mention. Take VIDEO of your home and all of your belongings, should you have to evacuate like this. Open drawers, closets, and cupboards to document even what's inside. Same for the garage. You'll have documentation for the insurance company or LEO should it burn or be looted (God forbid).

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top