Fire Season - What is your plan?

UnionMillsNW

Reactions
Howdy Folks,

As I write I'm looking out over several large plumes of smoke coming up East of Salem. This is fire season and it can get pretty dicey out there. This is a good time to have the family discussion about what to do when you have to leave in a hurry.

What if you have 5 minutes to leave?
What about 30 minutes?
How about an hour?

What do you grab?

For those with homes don't forget to check your defensible space.
Be safe! D09CD382-1509-4560-BA43-4ECF172EC328.jpeg

The Heretic

Reactions
Pray for rain?

It is trying to sprinkle up here tonight, maybe showers tomorrow morning.

Beyond that, the same thing I do most every year; make a firebreak around the house, mostly by mowing the tall grass. Spent most of the past week doing just that, for the second time this year.

_nc_ohc=9-tEpFgFW1gAX9hC5XK&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

The nice thing about that is that where I mowed earlier in the year, the grass is much greener than where I didn't mow. Obviously, green grass is wetter and more resistant to burning than dry grass. The deer seem to prefer it too.

20200707_110653.jpg

The Heretic

Reactions
There is fire retardant that you can buy to spray your house with as a last resort.

Also, there is fire retardant you can add to paint. I've been planning on repainting my decks this summer. Not sure if I will get around to it though. I certainly need to replace some of the decking on the big deck.

OP
UnionMillsNW

UnionMillsNW

Reactions
The sprinkler sounds like a good idea.

I got up on the roof several times in the past month and knocked a bunch of moss and conifer needles off. I also pressure washed much of the shop roof which had no moss, but a bunch of needles.
A good way to get rid of moss is fill a pump sprayer with white vinegar and let them have a few spritzes on a dry day. It will kill the moss at the root and a broom can handle the rest.

The Heretic

Reactions
A good way to get rid of moss is fill a pump sprayer with white vinegar and let them have a few spritzes on a dry day. It will kill the moss at the root and a broom can handle the rest.
I sprayed it all with some moss killing liquid. It isn't so much that the moss is alive, it is that there were huge clumps of it that I needed to brush off the roof. I got the south side good, but the north side has a lot more and the stiff broom I have really isn't doing the job, even though the moss is dead. I got the worst of it off though - the big clumps.

Not my favorite thing to do; I don't like heights at all.

Reactions
Howdy Folks,

As I write I'm looking out over several large plumes of smoke coming up East of Salem. This is fire season and it can get pretty dicey out there. This is a good time to have the family discussion about what to do when you have to leave in a hurry.

What if you have 5 minutes to leave?
What about 30 minutes?
How about an hour?

What do you grab?

For those with homes don't forget to check your defensible space.
Be safe! View attachment 738279
That looks like the seed grass fires every August. Might even be Derfler farms, etc.
Kentucky Blue goes to seed when scorched.

The Heretic

Reactions
It is raining here. Not hard, but maybe enough.

It has been awful dry. I hope we get enough rain to green things up. A lot of my plants are wilting.

Edited: It seemed to have rained enough to get everything wet. Humidity is 99% too. So that is good and it should cool things down too. Cloudy/overcast, but that is thin and will probably burn off as the day progresses.

Last edited:

The Heretic

Reactions
High Wind Warnings run from the coast all the way into the Cascades, from Monday evening into early Tuesday afternoon. Much of the Willamette Valley will experience 15-30 mph east winds later today, with widespread gusts in the metro area from 40-55 mph. Those gusts could be even stronger in the West Hills and areas east of PDX.

The wind, which could knock down tree limbs and power lines, combined with low humidity and dry fuel conditions has Red Flag Warnings for critical fire danger in place across much of Oregon and Washington, running from today through Wednesday.

Many counties have burn bans in effect.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - Pistol/Rifle Combo
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
DRRC .22 Rimfire Challenge Oct 10
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Oregon State Steel Challenge Championship
Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association
Millican, OR 97701, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
  • Revelation Arms
    4.00 star(s)
    Depends who answers the phone
    I was given the number to Roger Loock by Beaver Creek Armory, as I needed parts I had ordered from MCarbo installed on a Kel-Tec Sub2000. On my...
  • Coastal Farm & Ranch - Cornelius
    3.00 star(s)
    Lesson learned
    I’ll take some responsibility here, as I took the employee at their word instead of doing a thorough inspection. Short story is that I asked for a...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Good guys!
    I stop in here every once in a while to see what Michael has in the clearance section, and to ask questions when I have a project in mind...
Top Bottom