JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A genset that can power your well pump (which can be 2-3X when starting up) and a hookup that has the well pump on the line.

I believe my well pump power line gets its power direct from the meter box, and not from the house junction box. I have no way to hook into the junction box; the transfer switch and inlet for the genset powers the house only - I think.
you put a parallel outlet in and throw the pump breaker in your meter box when you start your generator
works great - been doing it for 20 years

I don't have a well, but my septic system has a pump. Earlier this year, I had an electrician rewire all the electrics for the pump. Pump and floats replaced, rewired including tank alarm. A couple of vaults for connections. I had him wire a plug pigtail in so I can tap into my generator for when the power is out.

Although water is still the "cheap" utility, I'm gonna have a Hellacious water bill this next cycle. It's well into September and I'm still out there watering my forest and other plants. I've kept the leaf litter patrolled all along, the water goes into the ground instead of the ground being shielded from water by leaves. This evening while out there on my north end, I looked up and discovered I have a standing dead tree. It's in an area crowded with other trees. I'm minorly skilled at felling but in this case, I think it might hang up so I'm gonna hire a guy I know to do it. Who has L&I insurance. I would leave it in place but it's near my property line and I don't want to make it my neighbor's problem.

now, just a thought from another thread on ammo supplies- for those of use with stockpiles of ammo, meaning over 10K rounds, are you letting the fire Dept know of this if you have to evacuate?
I've seen an ammo dump of small arms ammo burn before - not Hollywood dramatic, but still an issue for firefighters
20200911_093837.jpg

There is 70+ gallons of gasoline inside my shop. It is a lot more dangerous than the ammo inside. Not to mention the 5 gallons of propane that is even more dangerous.

Firefighters are not going to remember that there is a lot of ammo inside the shop at 999 ABC street, but they most assuredly know what that sign means and will approach the shop with due caution.

View attachment 748301

There is 70+ gallons of gasoline inside my shop. It is a lot more dangerous than the ammo inside. Not to mention the 5 gallons of propane that is even more dangerous.

Firefighters are not going to remember that there is a lot of ammo inside the shop at 999 ABC street, but they most assuredly know what that sign means and will approach the shop with due caution.
back when I lived in Lake Oswego, I had an alarm system for breakin and fire
I had to list the firearms and reloading powder for the alarm service, it was stored in the condo, not an out building
the L.O. fire dept informed me they would not enter my residence due to the powder, but would only fight the fire from the outside

back when I lived in Lake Oswego, I had an alarm system for breakin and fire
I had to list the firearms and reloading powder for the alarm service, it was stored in the condo, not an out building
the L.O. fire dept informed me they would not enter my residence due to the powder, but would only fight the fire from the outside

99% of my ammo cache is in my shop, along with a barrel of gasoline and diesel in cans and other flammables (mineral spirits, paint, linseed oil, etc.).

There are few hundred rounds of ammo in the house though.

99% of my ammo cache is in my shop, along with a barrel of gasoline and diesel in cans and other flammables (mineral spirits, paint, linseed oil, etc.).

There are few hundred rounds of ammo in the house though.

To each his own but I have never stored Gas or diesel in a building in that manner, even now I tend to keep what little gas we do store in one of those little plastic storage boxes out in the yard. When I was on the farm back home I had fuel tanks for fueling trucks, etc.

To each his own but I have never stored Gas or diesel in a building in that manner, even now I tend to keep what little gas we do store in one of those little plastic storage boxes out in the yard. When I was on the farm back home I had fuel tanks for fueling trucks, etc.

I have a fuel tank for diesel, but not going to put diesel in it until I move to my next property.

That said, I don't think it is any safer having it outside a building than inside, especially in a wildfire situation where I think it is safer inside a metal skinned shop than outside. The exception would be if I were doing anything with flames or sparks inside the building, in which case I would move the flammables outside (the 55 gallon drum is on a rolling dolly).

have you heard of firearms restrictions at this time?

"The same afternoon, callers in Castle Rock, Kalama and Longview all reported someone firing a weapon, which could spark a fire."
I can see it with steel case ammo, but not conventional ammo

Yup, Washington state has banned target shooting on State lands

Bans and restrictions
• The Washington Department of Natural Resources Tuesday banned all fires on all 12 million acres of DNR-managed lands. It also closed all recreation lands east of the Cascades through at least Friday.

• All fires in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest are banned.

• The Bureau of Land Management closed all recreation sites and certain roads until September 15.

• The Washington State Parks commission has banned campfires statewide on state parks through Sept. 15, with many of its locations also prohibiting open flames in general.

• Oregon declared a statewide fire ban on state parks and closed some parks outright.

• Willow Grove Park in Longview is prohibiting all fires and barbecues until further notice.

• Cowlitz County remains under a burn ban until enough rainfall occurs to lower the fire risk. That includes all recreational fires within city limits.

• Weyerhaeuser closed its North Cascades to Chelan, Longview to St. Helens and Columbia River East to Yacolt areas to recreational permit and leaseholders Wednesday until "the fire weather forecast improves."

• The Environmental Protection Agency banned open burning on the Cowlitz Indian Tribe reservation and all reservations in Western Oregon until further notice.

• All target shooting on state lands is banned until further notice.

• Merrill Lake Campground and day use area is closed.

"The same afternoon, callers in Castle Rock, Kalama and Longview all reported someone firing a weapon, which could spark a fire."

A steel cartridge case won't cause problems, a steel projectile might. Brass/lead - you would think it wouldn't, but I have seen sparks from copper/brass jacketed projectiles when fired, at night, against rocks. The there is the flame from the muzzle and the burning powder ejected from same.

A steel cartridge case won't cause problems, a steel projectile might. Brass/lead - you would think it wouldn't, but I have seen sparks from copper/brass jacketed projectiles when fired, at night, against rocks. The there is the flame from the muzzle and the burning powder ejected from same.
when I mention steel case, it's steel case/jacket Russian ammo, I should have been specific
and I guess if one is foolish enough to lay in dry grass and fire their firearm, I'll agree with muzzle flash
and I will accept that many not on this forum may be that foolish

OK, i'll agree not to shoot my AK or Mosins at this time
and a Mosin M38 with steel jacket ammo, throwing a 3' fireball is not recommended at this time

If you've ever picked up a round thats just been fired its hot... really hot. Add in some dry grass or some yahoo shooting rounds into a dry tree or log and fires can happen.

Regarding sored ammo, pretty cool video showing 25,000 rounds of ammo being lit on fire with drywall placed at intervals out to 50 feet. Spoiler alert, almost nothing penetrated the first layer of drywall and none went through the second. Fire video is a about 12:00. The video was made for fire fighters.
How Dangerous is Ammunition in a House Fire?

I've had plans to build a wood powder storage cabinet, think I'll get around to this once normal is found again.

Regarding sored ammo, pretty cool video showing 25,000 rounds of ammo being lit on fire with drywall placed at intervals out to 50 feet. Spoiler alert, almost nothing penetrated the first layer of drywall and none went through the second. Fire video is a about 12:00. The video was made for fire fighters.
How Dangerous is Ammunition in a House Fire?

I've had plans to build a wood powder storage cabinet, think I'll get around to this once normal is found again.

I was just thinking of putting something like that around the shelves I stored the ammo on. I need the heavy shelves I use to hold the ammo; the metal shelves in a typical metal cabinet would bow too much.

I was just thinking of putting something like that around the shelves I stored the ammo on. I need the heavy shelves I use to hold the ammo; the metal shelves in a typical metal cabinet would bow too much.
There was another thread that had some links to some national standards and wood cabinets. 1" or greater thickness and up to #50 I believe. Looking at 2" x 10" or 12" boards for all the parts. I'll do some research and and post photos when I get around to the project, hopefully sooner than later.

@The Heretic
here is a great source for Home/Farm light to medium industrial fire fighting equipment, perfect for what you have! I have used these guys s few times with my flat bed pickups, and they work awesome!

@The Heretic
here is a great source for Home/Farm light to medium industrial fire fighting equipment, perfect for what you have! I have used these guys s few times with my flat bed pickups, and they work awesome!

good stuff
thanks

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top