JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have very slowly been working on getting a bunch of .223 brass prepped for quite a while now. I started with sizing and trimming. My "keep" box was not filling up as much as I would have liked because some of the brass was very short. The short brass is going in my plinking or cutting down for .300 Whisper brass.

Then I took my pile and swaged them.

Now I am up to the fun part, prime, powder, seat, light crimp and every pull of the handle drops out a finished round. At this point it makes me feel like I am actually getting something done. I think I have a little better then 1000 pieces of brass. I ran 25 rds (amount of primers on a strip) though a bit ago. Think I might get a couple hundred more done tonight.

Normally not a stickler for terminology when the thought issucessfully conveyed, I halted at the thought of "swaging" brass.

Some of your shorties may have made the grade, had they been measured for length after the "swaging" (resizing?).

On this we agree: CASE PREP IS THE MAMA-BEEYOCH!

I think we might be having a terminology problem here. Swaging is one type of way to deal with military crimped primer pockets, Super Swage 600: Case Preparation Equipment

I use the RCBS 2000 presses for reloading so it goes something like this;

Tumble
Stage 1, Lube die/de-caping
Stage 2, Sizing die

Trim if needed
Swage if needed
Tumble

Stage 2, Prime
Stage 3, Powder
Stage 4, Seat
Stage 5, Crimp if needed

According to Speer #13 trim length for .223 is 1.750" and I had a fair amount right at, or just over it. But I also have a lot that is in the low 1.74xx, with the shortest being 1.739". I am far from having a shortage of brass so no reason not to be picky. I am loading for my target AR right now.

I managed to do 297 rds. I had a few bullets left over from last time I loaded and just dumped out a whole 250rd "varmint pack". Now I have to find something to put them all in since all my mags are full right now. I will probably end up loading them lose in an ammo can. Just like to have them counted a little better so I know what I have left. I also found out I have way more then 1k of brass prepped, I didn't even make a dent in it yet.

Plans for the shorty's? I need to completely re-gear as I sold off all of my reloading equipment a couple of years ago (kicking myself now for it) however my plan is to set up for .300 AAC Blk as that was my choice for my rifle. Wow, thinking back I have never loaded rifle rounds. Just handgun. (Mostly magnums) In fact I have had very few rifles. (Though I still wish I had the ones I use to have, in particular an old 30/30 lever action I recall from early 20th century) At any rate, I'll likely be looking for brass for the .300 AAC as soon as I get the equipment again.

I finally slogged my way through almost 1400) 30 Carbine rounds I needed to load. Some for the Carbine some for the Blackhawk. Was very glad to finally get that over with.

Plans for the shorty's? I need to completely re-gear as I sold off all of my reloading equipment a couple of years ago (kicking myself now for it) however my plan is to set up for .300 AAC Blk as that was my choice for my rifle. Wow, thinking back I have never loaded rifle rounds. Just handgun. (Mostly magnums) In fact I have had very few rifles. (Though I still wish I had the ones I use to have, in particular an old 30/30 lever action I recall from early 20th century) At any rate, I'll likely be looking for brass for the .300 AAC as soon as I get the equipment again.

Yep

My "keep" box was not filling up as much as I would have liked because some of the brass was very short. The short brass is going in my plinking or cutting down for .300 Whisper brass.

I know exactly what you mean. It seems like an endless task to do all the case prep work, but when the case goes into the press, the smile returns to my face. I tend to work up 223 in 250 round batches, put them in a coffee can until its time for the press...when I get down to 1000 rounds of loaded ammo I hit the press.

I also pour my own handgun bullets, so that's a whole 'nother fun way to spend time!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews