JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just did a FFL transfer and the FFL charged the seller $30 and fingerprinted him and charged me $40 and fingerprinted me along with my form. Is this a normal process? Last time I did one of these I do not remember the seller being finger printed and charged. $70 for a transfer!

Sounds like you got hosed. I'm assuming this is the first time you've used this FFL - and I would make it my last. Always best for a new FFL to call ahead and verify not only the fees, but the actual process. There are some pretty wildly varying prices out there. My FFL charges $25 total for a private transfer, and no BGC on the seller. Only time it would be more is if we were trading and had a transfer/BGC for both sides - and even in that case, it would top out at $50

BTW, care to share what FFL did that, so everyone else can avoid sending them any business?

In WA there are some places that the transfer is $20 and we never get fingerprinted.

Above and beyond the excessive fees he charged - do OR folks have to be finger printed? If so that something I didn't know.

In WA there are some places that the transfer is $20 and we never get fingerprinted.

Above and beyond the excessive fees he charged - do OR folks have to be finger printed? If so that something I didn't know.

I've always been fingerprinted in OR, so that's what I know. Don't know if it's state law, but must be if it's not done in other states.

The seller called and was told it was $30 + $10 total. We both had invested a considerable amount of time to meet up so did not want to cancel the transaction since I was the next check. Live and learn. Gave the buyer my last $20 to cover part of his BS fee.

It was 99 Pawn & Guns.

The seller called and was told it was $30 + $10 total. We both had invested a considerable amount of time to meet up so did not want to cancel the transaction since I was the next check. Live and learn. Gave the buyer my last $20 to cover part of his BS fee.

It was 99 Pawn & Guns.

I've used them before for a private transfer, about a year ago. It was only $30 total. You may be justified calling the owner and asking what's going on with the extra fees - even ask for that back. If they blow you off, tell them no more business for them.

Next time, if you can, use Tigard Pawn 4 More - $25 total for a transfer/BGC, no BGC or 4473 on the seller. It's worth the drive.

That is who I used last time. These private party sales take too much time and effort to coordinate, if it wasn't a rifle that I had been looking for for a long time I would have passed. It probably would have been easier to buy off Gunbroker and pay for shipping.

I was the buyer. Seller did not fill out anything. FFL took copy of his driver's license and put fingerprints with that. Took a copy of my driver's licence also.

+1 for Tigard Pawn. Owner Tim Barnes is a real stand-up guy and I've probably used him for at least 20 transactions and referred people to him countless times. They're also open 7 days/week and call or email you within an hour of your gun arriving.

Unfortunately you both got hosed and the seller doesn't need to do anything except provide a color copy of their ID. If the buyer likes the gun he pays the seller & the seller can then leave. After that the normal 4473 & OSP BGC process happens.

I know we only charge 20 and 25 at our shop here in Vancouver, no fingerprinting, no weird fees or anything like that. I haven't bought a gun in OR for quite some time but last time I did was just the paperwork and 10 for the check.

Yeah thumbprints are an Oregon requirement. As the seller you shouldn't have had to fill out a 4473, but there is a form required in Oregon for an FFL to take a firearm from a non-FFL. Most dealers don't know about it or fill it out, but it IS a legal requirement under state law.

form.PNG

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR