JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just did a FFL transfer and the FFL charged the seller $30 and fingerprinted him and charged me $40 and fingerprinted me along with my form. Is this a normal process? Last time I did one of these I do not remember the seller being finger printed and charged. $70 for a transfer!

Sounds like you got hosed. I'm assuming this is the first time you've used this FFL - and I would make it my last. Always best for a new FFL to call ahead and verify not only the fees, but the actual process. There are some pretty wildly varying prices out there. My FFL charges $25 total for a private transfer, and no BGC on the seller. Only time it would be more is if we were trading and had a transfer/BGC for both sides - and even in that case, it would top out at $50

BTW, care to share what FFL did that, so everyone else can avoid sending them any business?

In WA there are some places that the transfer is $20 and we never get fingerprinted.

Above and beyond the excessive fees he charged - do OR folks have to be finger printed? If so that something I didn't know.

In WA there are some places that the transfer is $20 and we never get fingerprinted.

Above and beyond the excessive fees he charged - do OR folks have to be finger printed? If so that something I didn't know.

I've always been fingerprinted in OR, so that's what I know. Don't know if it's state law, but must be if it's not done in other states.

The seller called and was told it was $30 + $10 total. We both had invested a considerable amount of time to meet up so did not want to cancel the transaction since I was the next check. Live and learn. Gave the buyer my last $20 to cover part of his BS fee.

It was 99 Pawn & Guns.

The seller called and was told it was $30 + $10 total. We both had invested a considerable amount of time to meet up so did not want to cancel the transaction since I was the next check. Live and learn. Gave the buyer my last $20 to cover part of his BS fee.

It was 99 Pawn & Guns.

I've used them before for a private transfer, about a year ago. It was only $30 total. You may be justified calling the owner and asking what's going on with the extra fees - even ask for that back. If they blow you off, tell them no more business for them.

Next time, if you can, use Tigard Pawn 4 More - $25 total for a transfer/BGC, no BGC or 4473 on the seller. It's worth the drive.

That is who I used last time. These private party sales take too much time and effort to coordinate, if it wasn't a rifle that I had been looking for for a long time I would have passed. It probably would have been easier to buy off Gunbroker and pay for shipping.

I was the buyer. Seller did not fill out anything. FFL took copy of his driver's license and put fingerprints with that. Took a copy of my driver's licence also.

+1 for Tigard Pawn. Owner Tim Barnes is a real stand-up guy and I've probably used him for at least 20 transactions and referred people to him countless times. They're also open 7 days/week and call or email you within an hour of your gun arriving.

Unfortunately you both got hosed and the seller doesn't need to do anything except provide a color copy of their ID. If the buyer likes the gun he pays the seller & the seller can then leave. After that the normal 4473 & OSP BGC process happens.

I know we only charge 20 and 25 at our shop here in Vancouver, no fingerprinting, no weird fees or anything like that. I haven't bought a gun in OR for quite some time but last time I did was just the paperwork and 10 for the check.

Yeah thumbprints are an Oregon requirement. As the seller you shouldn't have had to fill out a 4473, but there is a form required in Oregon for an FFL to take a firearm from a non-FFL. Most dealers don't know about it or fill it out, but it IS a legal requirement under state law.

form.PNG

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top