JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just recently finished a transaction with a guy from OR and the FFL we met at charged him over $50 to do the transfer.

Am I missing something here?
As the most I ever paid was $25...
Did he have to run us both?

He made the comment that it was $70-80 in Vancouver. So, I called a shop in Vancouver the next day and they claim we didn't even have to go through an FFL for a long gun transfer...

Thanks guys.
I know who I won't be doing business with in the future. Wish I could return the handgun I bought from them and go somewhere else.
Feel sorry for the guy I did the deal with because he paid the fee. Although my asking price was very reasonable, but that's beside the point.

Darn.
SW WA surplus is the only place I go in Vancouver it's 20 bucks fast and simple.
(311 tactical does it for $20 also. If your on the 205 side of town but they want to you to call ahead or they will be snots and can be a little unprofessional.)

rules anyway are simple
Sales: Oregon to Washington pistol go to the state of the buyer.

Long guns doesn't matter the state but must be done through a ffl. Here in Washington we don't charge an extra 10 bucks for background or fingerprint you.

Trades: pistol to pistol - the only way I can figure ot out is each go to a ffl in your state, or ship to ffl.

Pistol to rifle go to witch ever person that's getting the pistols state.

Rifle to rifle doesn't matter the state

Recently I've had alot of people I trade to getting delayed. Its 10 days now in Washington then its released, and one guys I.d was expired, plan accordingly. If you show up before the other guy you can start the paperwork so you can b.s with the workers or look at there inventory while you wait.

Last Edited:
I made the unfortunate mistake of having that very same business in Woodland do my trade transfer today.
I was treated rudely. I was made to feel like I was an annoyance. They didn't want my money.
What a joke! I will NEVER make that mistake again.

The first sign I knew something was amiss. $50 for a transfer!

$50 for a process that takes 5-10 minutes. What??!! $50???
Completely ridiculous! (In Longview/Kelso I $20.) At this point there was no backing out. I shook hands on this trade and we had both travelled a ways to get there. I am a man of my word. $50 it is.

10 minutes after I walk in I get the proceed/all clear on the NICS check.
The shop owner then promptly asked for payment.
I said, " No problem. However I would like to shop around a little first."

I then find 3 boxes of .308 ammo I needed which he grabbed them from behind the counter and took them to the cash register where he AGAIN asked for payment.
I responded with, "I'm still looking around."

(I then see and Leupold VX-R at a really, really nice price and take a mental note: I need this before I leave.)

Then I see it....

Do my eyes deceive me?
What's this? A Glock 43?
Holy sweetness! It is! It is!!
The single stack 9mm Glock... in the flesh!

At $539 the price was steep but hey, it's a Glock 43 and it was on my short list.
(Just 2 weeks ago my business partner Mark and I had been invited by Glock to come check it out at a media event and get some trigger time with one. Unfortunately we were unable to go.)

I asked if I could see it. He opens the case and makes clear. He hands it to me. I turn to the side, drop the mag and make clear and decide I must have it.
He responds with, "No. The chief of police MIGHT be interested in buying it."

Buhhh..
What?!

So.... I gave him my business card and asked that I be put "next in line" if the Chief passed on it.
I mentioned I am a member of the press credentialed by the National Shooting Sports Foundation and "would love to review it."

He promptly handed back my business card and put the Glock back in the display case.

Ouch... Woodland Guns & Ammo didn't want my $539.00!

He again asks for payment.

This time I relented but decide I really don't need a new Leupold scope after all.

Ouch... Woodland Guns & Ammo didn't get an additional $449.00 from me.

Initially I came into his business with only $30 in my pocket to cover a transfer.
Since he's charging $50 on the transfer, and now I had three boxes of ammo, I decide to pay with my credit card.

He then asks, "Could you pay with a debit card instead? I don't care for the credit card fees."
I said, "Yeah I hate additional fees as well, so here's my credit card."

So today at 3:30 on a Thursday I could have just as easily spent upwards of $1200.00
Instead he got about $95.00

Treat customers like you would like to be treated. Treat them as guests. Be grateful they came it and maybe they will feel at home and spend more money. Heck maybe the customer will be back and perhaps tell his or her friends?

Instead... I'll tell of my visit and take my business back to Longview/Kelso, where I get treated like family and know my money is appreciated.

p.s.
I know the G43 was overpriced but I love instant gratification. :D

I made the unfortunate mistake of having that very same business in Woodland do my trade transfer today.
I was treated rudely. I was made to feel like I was an annoyance. They didn't want my money.

Completely ridiculous! (In Longview/Kelso I $20.) At this point there was no backing out. I shook hands on this trade and we had both travelled a ways to get there. I am a man of my word. $50 it is.

I then find 3 boxes of .308 ammo I needed which he grabbed them from behind the counter and took them to the cash register where he AGAIN asked for payment.

(I then see and Leupold VX-R at a really, really nice price and take a mental note: I need this before I leave.)

Then I see it....

Do my eyes deceive me?
What's this? A Glock 43?

At $539 the price was steep but hey, it's a Glock 43 and it was on my short list.
(Just 2 weeks ago my business partner Mark and I had been invited by Glock to come check it out at a media event and get some trigger time with one. Unfortunately we were unable to go.)

I asked if I could see it. He opens the case and makes clear. He hands it to me. I turn to the side, drop the mag and make clear and decide I must have it.

Buhhh..
What?!

So.... I gave him my business card and asked that I be put "next in line" if the Chief passed on it.
I mentioned I am a member of the press credentialed by the National Shooting Sports Foundation and "would love to review it."

He promptly handed back my business card and put the Glock back in the display case.

This time I relented but decide I really don't need a new Leupold scope after all.

Initially I came into his business with only $30 in my pocket to cover a transfer.
Since he's charging $50 on the transfer, and now I had three boxes of ammo, I decide to pay with my credit card.

He then asks, "Could you pay with a debit card instead? I don't care for the credit card fees."

So today at 3:30 on a Thursday I could have just as easily spent upwards of $1200.00

Treat customers like you would like to be treated. Treat them as guests. Be grateful they came it and maybe they will feel at home and spend more money. Heck maybe the customer will be back and perhaps tell his or her friends?

Instead... I'll tell of my visit and take my business back to Longview/Kelso, where I get treated like family and know my money is appreciated.

p.s.

I'm usually a pretty easygoing guy but I'm pretty sure all he'd have gotten from me would have been the $50 and some lip.

RW pawn shop pulled that $50 transfer crap on me last year. I haven been back since. I use SouthwestWashinton Surplus, great bunch a guys and always $20 transfers.

To not know ahead of time what a FFL would charge for any sort of transaction is foolish. There is always someone better to do business with. Here in little Silverton with the forearm market completely cornered Silver Falls Pawn only charges for the BGC and Last time I was in just $20 for the transfer. And I know of times he's waved it. So avoid the profiteers and find a good fair business to deal with.

So, I called a shop in Vancouver the next day and they claim we didn't even have to go through an FFL for a long gun transfer...

Hello,

I'm the owner of SW WA Surplus. I am not sure that the phone conversation went entirely clearly from the description, so I want to clear up a few things.

If you bought from an OR FFL, you wouldn't need an FFL on this side for a long gun. You can buy shotguns and rifles from an FFL in any state under federal law (some states have stricter requirements such as that it has to be an adjoining state, or some other criteria but neither Washington or Oregon care about that.)

For a private transfer across state lines, it doesn't have to go through an FFL in the seller's state of residence, but it does have to go through an FFL in the buyer's state. Some FFL holders will make you deliver it to an FFL holder in your state of residence, have the FFL holder transport it across the state line to us, and then we do the background check and transfer, but this is in no way legally required. Some will make you pay for shipping and will not drive it across the line, but we do that for Portland shops all the time.

We charge $20 for an incoming transfer. ($50 for NFA items, but then we typically have to store it for months before delivery). We did $20 before I594 and we do after. "Discount Guns" was the only one I know who was charging $75-100 for transfers, and they have closed both Vancouver locations.

Post I-594 (which became RCW 9.41.113 on Dec 4th, 2014) all private transfers involving a Washington Resident have to go through an FFL for background check. We charge the same amount ($20) for this service as it takes us the same amount of time as any other transfer. Since we're normally open 7 days per week excepting holidays, we get a lot of walk-ins for this service.

We'll be open again at our new location 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd, Suite 108, Vancouver WA 98662 in just a few days.

Then I see it....

Do my eyes deceive me?
What's this? A Glock 43?

Buhhh..
What?!

p.s.
Well you did really good cause the second time he asked fro money I would have yelled at him. Then i would have got all the stuff to the register and told him to shove it.
And probably questioned his heritage and such
Heck a girl at a doughnut shop asked me 2 times if that was it so the third time I gave her a ration of bubblegum. That was for 5 bucks. Imagine what a 1200 dollar day would sound like

To not know ahead of time what a FFL would charge for any sort of transaction is foolish. There is always someone better to do business with. Here in little Silverton with the forearm market completely cornered Silver Falls Pawn only charges for the BGC and Last time I was in just $20 for the transfer. And I know of times he's waved it. So avoid the profiteers and find a good fair business to deal with.
I know Iknow you are the smart one on here. The rest are fools

Living in Silverton is foolish.:p
:s0101::s0140::s0140:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR