JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Making it a felony is just wrong. And how are they going to prove it? Search my phone without consent? What's next?
They'll make non-consent "presumption of guilt" just like with a breathalyzer.

You know, I seem to recall there having been a day when we SHOT Nazi f**ks instead of obeying them... and it was one of our country's finest hours.

Considering my 5 year old daughter and I almost got hit by a teen who was texting and driving literally by 3 inches from running over my foot she failed to stop at a crosswalk slowed down (probably to type the text out) but did not stop but slowing down gave the sense of stopping at the crosswalk. I only stopped cause I saw her looking down good thing I was holding my daughter's hand. I am not opposed to stiffer penalties and loss of license for second-time offenders or if someone causes an accident because of it. And felony manslaughter charges in the event of death.

With the current laws, I still see many people texting and driving. Way too many. Seen one change lanes just the other day and cut someone off close. I had been watching them text and drive.

But to make it the felony just for doing it is nonsense it just means letting out more murderers and rapist to let in texting drivers.

Last Edited:
Making it a felony is just wrong. And how are they going to prove it? Search my phone without consent? What's next?
I disagree you put others in danger if an individual is not paying attention to the road. If people did not text while driving there would be no need for the law. What do you recommend? I think it should be treated like dui's. The outcome can be very similar and can be avoided by the vehicle operator.

I disagree you put others in danger if an individual is not paying attention to the road. If people did not text while driving there would be no need for the law. What do you recommend? I think it should be treated like dui's. The outcome can be very similar and can be avoided by the vehicle operator.
It's already covered under Reckless Endangerment and several other charges. I'd argue DUI would similarly have been better charged as RE too... we need fewer laws but better and smarter enforced, not more reams upon reams of paper added to the legal code that nobody but a sh*tnozzle ambulance chaser with an Ivy League law degree can make sense of...

First question: "IS THERE AN EXISTING LAW THAT COVERS THIS?"

I never said I thought texting while driving was safe, nor do I do it personally. That's not the point. What's next, talking to your passenger while driving? Have you ever looked over at someone riding with you while having a conversation?

What I often wonder about is the broad latitudes I read about in sentencing, wherein guilty means "up to" $5000 fine, "2-7 years" or merely probation.

I would encourage all prosecutors, judges and juries to seek the maximum possible consequence allowable by law for any actual mishap involving others if cellphone negligence was a proven contributing factor. Something that was completely avoidable, senseless - and illegal in the first place.

And I'd better not end up caught in any accident where the "motorist" who caused it was plainly playing with a phone. It would suck to go to jail for putting a divot in someone's kharma (20-30 times) with a 4-cell Maglite.

Last Edited:
How about implementing bluetooth radios that automatically cut off texting as soon as they connect. This is not a new idea, and auto makers can certainly make new cars do this. And as far as older vehicles, I get that it's not possible. I'm certainly NOT arguing for the "texting while driving" folks, I just want to see less policing of people that are otherwise crime-free. What about all the times I use my phone's GPS? Will some LEO see the screen lit up for the next turn and press for a felony conviction for a guy that has never been arrested and has carried a CHL for over 20 years??

Stiffer fines? You bet! More enforcement? Absolutely! A felony that would be tough to prove in cases that are other than completely obvious and clogging up the courts and making MANY hard working, law-abiding citizens felons? Come on. Supporting this is supporting our government making criminals out of the masses. People do PLENTY of stuff while driving that's unsafe. Applying make-up, eating, reading and others. So where is the line drawn?? I for one stay as DEFENSIVE as I can while driving, and my texts are completely ignored until I reach my destination.

Few things make me as angry when I'm driving as seeing some fool watching his cell phone and oblivious to his surroundings and generally being a hazard to everyone on the road !
Just a few days ago, I was driving in near blizzard conditions, when I noticed that I was being tailgated by some jackass texting behind the wheel. It made me so angry that I threw my beer can at him, and it wasn't empty yet.:mad:

Curious if this distracted driving issue will apply to LEOs I've seen screwing with thier phone and/or laptop while driving. Perhaps as professionals they are exempt.

As much as I want to nuke that 'tard texting in front of me in traffic, that is an emotional response on my part and doesn't really mean a the 'tard deserves a felony wrap. Besides, it's already illegal and even the cops don't obey the law when it comes to this.

Whatever the legislation that ends up being passed, I would expect it to be vague and ambiguous. I have a relative who recently wrecked a car. Single vehicle that struck a jersey barrier. Not on a phone, not impaired, no other cars in sight. He was just not paying enough attention in an unoccupied construction area, caught a rut in the dark, and smacked a chunk of concrete. IMO it should have been an expensive (for him) learning experience because no property was damaged or people hurt. Wrecking his car "taught him the lesson". Instead, the LEOs and DA threw every possible charge that could possibly be applied based on circumstance -- not actual evidence. In the end it cost him a ton of money and hassle plus time off work. What was the result? Lawyers made money. Courts got extra burden. Cops got overtime. Were any lives saved? Nope. It's all about revenue.
FWIW, careless and wreckless driving charges are more open ended than specific. They are blanket charges that get piggy-backed with lots of other infractions just for extra F-U measure. There really isn't a need for any more laws when those BS open-ended charges already exist. FELONY texting is a joke.

Hell I watch TV while driving.

Ok so I don't watch TV but I listen to shows because radio sucks and mine is broken. I have ATT & Directv so it's unlimited streaming. My case is magnetic closing on my iPhone screen so it can sit in passenger seat of Geo with headphones.

I could be nailed for distracted driving with that eh? What's the difference between that and the radio? Or taking to co-pilot? Kids being little bubblegums in the back seat?

With voice control who the hell would text with their fingers anyway?

They don't as much as you think. They instagram, Facebook live, Snapchat and whatever interactive required apps are out there now.

Hell I watch TV while driving.

Ok so I don't watch TV but I listen to shows because radio sucks and mine is broken. I have ATT & Directv so it's unlimited streaming. My case is magnetic closing on my iPhone screen so it can sit in passenger seat of Geo with headphones.

I could be nailed for distracted driving with that eh? What's the difference between that and the radio? Or taking to co-pilot? Kids being little bubblegums in the back seat?

With voice control who the hell would text with their fingers anyway?

They don't as much as you think. They instagram, Facebook live, Snapchat and whatever interactive required apps are out there now.
So you were the guy in front of me 'listening' to 'The Notebook' the other day :confused::rolleyes::D

Somebody mentioned on page two of the proposed driving while texting laws being similar to silly firearms laws, maybe. But I tell ya', if auto makers put devices that would block the cell signal and people could not use them while driving, THAT would eliminate accidents because of cell phone use while driving.

Somebody mentioned on page two of the proposed driving while texting laws being similar to silly firearms laws, maybe. But I tell ya', if auto makers put devices that would block the cell signal and people could not use them while driving, THAT would eliminate accidents because of cell phone use while driving.
I don't feel like I need to be told or made to pay attention to the road I think mother nature has a sure fire remedy for that the problem is the innocent people that pay the price with the idiot. Personally if an individual wants to go looking for a gas leak with a match go for it as long as it's your property and no one else is involved in the outcome. Rarely is that case however a lot of good people get hurt because of idiots.

I never said I thought texting while driving was safe, nor do I do it personally. That's not the point. What's next, talking to your passenger while driving? Have you ever looked over at someone riding with you while having a conversation?
Yes I have glanced over but a lot less time than texting. I look at many things while driving primarily the road.

Yes I have glanced over but a lot less time than texting. I look at many things while driving primarily the road.

....And staring straight ahead at one place ALL the time is a sure way to get in trouble. One of the ways to ease driver fatigue is to look around, stretch your neck/arms/ move your legs.

If I'm in traffic I pay extra close attention to everything around me, I'm intently watching everything. The heavier traffic, the more intense I am. When I'm driving between The Dalles and Boise on dry roads in daylight I can relax some and look around.

What if we changed that statement a little bit - If gun makers installed devices that would block use and people could not use them except while at a sanctioned range and while pointing downrange, THAT would eliminate deaths because of people pointing guns at other people.

Unfortunately, it's not the thing causing the problem, it's the irresponsible actions of people. We already have the laws, and more laws won't make any difference. The only thing that will have any affect, is people acting responsibly. We can help influence that by awareness campaigns and increased fines for violations, but in the end, it's about the actions of people, and not passing more laws so legislators can thump their chests and crow about how much they care about people.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top