Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Feds toss Illonois ban on concealed

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by ATCclears, Dec 11, 2012.

1. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

2. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Glock Jock and (deleted member) like this.
  3. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

As is being discussed on another forum, they (the politicians) are likely going to make it highly restrictive, costly, and probably a "may issue" instead of "shall issue." But, it will be interesting to watch. Wouldn't surprise me to see them dragging their feet.

4. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Court issues huge ruling for right to carry outside home

The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals today handed down a huge victory for Second Amendment advocates by declaring that the right to self-defense is “broader than the right to have a gun in one’s home” in a case that will force the Illinois Legislature to craft a carry statute after years of saying no.

Court issues huge ruling for right to carry outside home - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

Moore v. Madigan was SAF's case
    Shepard v. Madigan was NRA's case

There's a link in this column to the actual court document. It's worth a read :thumbup:

5. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

I would agree! Ill will make it as hard as thier sister NY to get a permit. both of these states lawmakers can fall off the planet for all I care!

6. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the court will let them make it too difficult... Is this an example of "strict scrutiny?"

fd15k and (deleted member) like this.
  7. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Well, in the opinion (I actually read the whole thing), it was stated that the 7th District didn't quite agree with the 2nd which upheld the NY law, they found it a reasonable alternative to forbidding everyone. At least that's how I read it. The 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals missed the boat on that one. I think they screwed the pooch on that one as you shouldn't have to present an overwhelming need to have a permit. Hopefully Illinois will craft a decent law.

8. SBC97281

SBC97281 Oregon Active Member

There is a lot more to this story than has been digested thus far. My reliable reader of such news pointed out that the judgement says Illinois has 180 days to repair the error of their ways or the state reverts to constitutional carry. This will be a very interesting story to watch as sides start to barter. When rights are on the table, politicians bargaining makes me nervous, but this could be a big one.

9. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

The REALLY big thing here is: The 7th and the 2nd do NOT agree...that almost guarantees cert with the Supremes.

fd15k and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Boomerang

Boomerang Portland area Active Member

Now wouldn't that be interesting to see, if they can't come to agreement and they get constitutional carry. In fact, that's a huge bartering chip for the pro-gun legislators (if there are any).

11. SBC97281

SBC97281 Oregon Active Member

I just finished reading the decision. The majority in Illinois appears quite clear that they know are disagreeing with the Second district. There are specific references to history, Heller, studies, and so forth. The 180 days, also gives opportunity for the state of Illinois to ask for fast cert if they believe they can get a favorable decision out of DC. These are interesting times for sure.

12. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

This ruling is really huge.

The problem, of course, is what the SC will say about it, because this will certainly go all the way. -Fingers crossed the SC affirms this or refuses to hear it.

This is the problem with Heller. It left pretty much everything we care about up to future decisions.

Listen folks, NOW is the time to get in touch with every member of the Senate Judiciary Committee and make your voices heard that gun rights need to be a litmus test for any future SC nominee. Same goes for EVERY senator in your state. Even the ones you think don't like us. Send a snail mail letter. Hand-written beats typed. Emails get ignored. Spend a few pennies and some time and get those letters out.

I just spent about 1/2 hour compiling these addresses and having a quick look at the record of these Senators.. I've struck through a couple that simply WON'T be moved. All the rest are in at least the "maybe"
    category, and quite a few are in the "already on our side" category and need some feedback from us. Writing a letter should take you less time than that.

If you can't be arsed to write a stinking letter, why should these people pay attention to you? They have lots of high-paid lobbyists coming to visit them with lot's of sweet promises every day. Your handwritten letter REALLY makes a difference, so please write them.

Here is a sample letter for you. Please don't copy-paste. Write something from your own heart.

"Dear Senator XXX,

I don't come from your district. I can't vote for or against you. I'm just an American who cares about my basic rights under the constitution.

As you know, Heller vs. Washington, DC made some major changes in our "legal" understanding of what rights citizens have to own guns in the United States. MacDonald vs. Chicago upheld and applied those rights to the states as well.

I regularly contribute to a number of pro-gun-rights organizations. Just like a lot of other good Americans contribute to the ACLU or NAACP or NAARAL.

But I wanted to write you personally to take the issue of the individual right of Americans to keep and bear arms, as enshrined quite clearly in the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution to heart.

Ever since Roe-vs.Wade we've heard about a "litmus test" about the issue of abortion. I put it you you Senator, that my right to defend myself and my loved ones against violent predators is at least as important.

Since your committee gave a "pass" to Justice Sotomayor, who said UNDER OATH that Heller was "settled law" and then not two months later wrote an opinion in Macdonald that read like Heller had never been decided, that you pay more attention to this important issue.

Whether you support or oppose the current President, we need our members of the legislative branch to act as a check to the power of the White House.

Please use your position to insist that any proposed member of the Supreme Court be solid on already established rights under our constitution and the courts appointed to uphold that constitution.

This is a civil rights issue. Nothing more, nothing less. I ask you, as a United States Senator to remember your duty to the constitution. Whether or not you agree with previous court rulings, they are the law of the land.

With all good wishes to you and our country,

Misterbill"

Herb Kohl
    D-Wisconsin
    330 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20510-4903

Chuck Grassley
    Ranking Member, R-Iowa
    135 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20510

Dianne Feinstein
    D-California

Orrin G. Hatch
    R-Utah
    Biography
    104 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510

Chuck Schumer
    D-New York

Jon Kyl
    R-Arizona
    Biography

Dick Durbin
    D-Illinois

Jeff Sessions
    R-Alabama
    326 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510 -0104

Sheldon Whitehouse
    D-Rhode Island

Biography

Lindsey Graham
    R-South Carolina
    290 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510

Amy Klobuchar
    D-Minnesota
    302 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510

John Cornyn
    R-Texas
    Washington DC
    517 Hart Senate Office Bldg.
    Washington, DC 20510

Al Franken
    D-Minnesota
    Hart Senate Office Building
    Suite 309
    Washington, DC 20510

Michael S. Lee
    R-Utah
    316 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20510

Christopher A. Coons
    D-Delaware

Tom Coburn
    R-Oklahoma
    172 Russell Senate Office Bldg.
    Washington, DC 20510

Richard Blumenthal
    D-Connecticut
    702 Hart Senate Office Bldg.
    Washington, DC, 20510

PLEASE, folks, write those letters. They really DO count.

gehrheart and (deleted member) like this.
  13. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

We want cert, and soon...we cannot chance one of our guys bumping off and have Obuthead nominate another anti.

14. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter