JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Keep the story short, I'm part of a 7 person hunting party for elk late October this year. I've never shot an elk. I hunt with either a 30-30 or 7 mag depending on what/where I'm hunting, usually with 150gn federal blue box soft point in each. They shoot pretty well and as of so far, done the job but I find myself doubting the bullet now. My 7mm doesn't particularly like heavier bullets, even when loaded light (maybe I was flinching?) But it does excellent with light bullets. I'm interested in premium bullets and am willing/able to load but I want some guidance on what to choose. I DO NOT want to buy $2+/shot factory loaded premium stuff only to find out my rifle hates it. But maybe I'm over thinking and the standard stuff I've always used will be just fine? Please and thankyou for any info

Before I started loading my own, my go to elk round was federal premium 180 gr trophy bonded tip in 300wsm.
Great performance on elk.
The nickel case is nice but really didn't matter to me.
I would never hesitate using federal blue box for deer, but prefer a tougher bullet when elk are on the menu.

I now use accubonds in my handloads and they perform similarly to the trophy bonded tip. Great weight retention.

Good luck!

I have shot a few elk. It seemed to matter mostly that I shot them in the right place! Not so much the bullet I was using. I think you blue box will be fine.

Last Edited:
What make and model is the 7mm mag? More specifically, what is the twist rate? Most 7mags I have been around shot 160 nosler partitions great which is perfect because they are very good elk medicine. If you have to go lighter than 150gr I would recommend one of the monolithic copper bullets.

What make and model is the 7mm mag? More specifically, what is the twist rate? Most 7mags I have been around shot 160 nosler partitions great which is perfect because they are very good elk medicine. If you have to go lighter than 150gr I would recommend one of the monolithic copper bullets.

Savage 111. I've tried to find the twist rate without much luck. Not that it "won't' shoot heavier bullets, but the groups are easily 2-3x with 175gn over 150. A load I made with 139 shot about 2" at 200yds so I'm fairly convinced it's on the slower end. Do you have a recommendation for monolithic? Never tried them in anything

Will you be hunting the west side or east side? On the west side, you won't have to shoot too far. I'd sacrifice a little accuracy for bullet performance. Blue Box is basically a Speer Hot-Cor. They're a standard cup and core bullet with a relatively thin jacket.

Federal Fusion is basically a bonded version of something similar to the hot-cor. Its usually not much more expensive and is a good bit tougher in my experience.

Will you be hunting the west side or east side? On the west side, you won't have to shoot too far. I'd sacrifice a little accuracy for bullet performance. Blue Box is basically a Speer Hot-Cor. They're a standard cup and core bullet with a relatively thin jacket.

Federal Fusion is basically a bonded version of something similar to the hot-cor. Its usually not much more expensive and is a good bit tougher in my experience.
East side, practically in Idaho.

So, here's my $0.02. You don't have much time to get things figured out. It sounds like you're a reloader or have access to someone who can load you up some ammo.

I've seen 140gr power points go straight through an elk out of a 7mm-08. That was by perfect shot placement through the ribs, broadside. So, you should be able to kill an elk with a 150gr Speer/blue box. I would keep a couple boxes as a fail-safe.

Next, I'd either buy a box of something bonded like Fusion and another box like Trophy Bonded or Barnes TTSX and pick the one that shoots best....

Or I'd buy a box of 140gr Barnes TTSX bullets and pick a powder like H4831, H1000, IMR 7828, or RL22 look up Barnes specific data. Load up 20 rounds starting 5% below max and go up .2gr per round until you hit max. Shoot them at least 100, if not 200 yards. Keep track of each shot. If you notice a bunch in one spot, load up a bunch with that realm of powder charge. Then zero for 200 yards. If you keep shots under 350'yards, you should be able to hold on hair and get a good hit.

So, here's my $0.02. You don't have much time to get things figured out. It sounds like you're a reloader or have access to someone who can load you up some ammo.

I've seen 140gr power points go straight through an elk out of a 7mm-08. That was by perfect shot placement through the ribs, broadside. So, you should be able to kill an elk with a 150gr Speer/blue box. I would keep a couple boxes as a fail-safe.

Next, I'd either buy a box of something bonded like Fusion and another box like Trophy Bonded or Barnes TTSX and pick the one that shoots best....

Or I'd buy a box of 140gr Barnes TTSX bullets and pick a powder like H4831, H1000, IMR 7828, or RL22 look up Barnes specific data. Load up 20 rounds starting 5% below max and go up .2gr per round until you hit max. Shoot them at least 100, if not 200 yards. Keep track of each shot. If you notice a bunch in one spot, load up a bunch with that realm of powder charge. Then zero for 200 yards. If you keep shots under 350'yards, you should be able to hold on hair and get a good hit.
Yep, can and do load. But my rifle is sighted for the standard old cheap blue box so that's what I've been using. I appreciate you giving good advice instead of what I feared would be a whole lot of heavy bullets and only heavy bullets. I'll buy some ttsx tonight and maybe a few others and give them a go. :D

Yep, can and do load. But my rifle is sighted for the standard old cheap blue box so that's what I've been using. I appreciate you giving good advice instead of what I feared would be a whole lot of heavy bullets and only heavy bullets. I'll buy some ttsx tonight and maybe a few others and give them a go. :D

Those TTSX bullets retain nearly 100% of their weight. A 140gr will weigh more in the end than a 160gr Partition after it sheds 30-40% of its weight. Speed is your friend, so I almost always end up near max.

I second what mr regerts saiid , I have also killed several elk with a 140gr nosler accubond out of a 270 so the same weight in a .284 bullet should be fine as well. iI have seen elk killed with a hornady 139 interlock out of a 7mm-08 so that may be a quick and dirty option in hornady's american whitetail line of ammo. Try to avoid shooting the big shoulder bone or bad raking angles with some of these conventional cup and core designs and they will kill just fine. The 140 ttsx would be a fine option though, if your rifle likes them. Also note that many rifles seem to like .050" or so setback from the lands with barnes all copper offerings for best accuracy.

Last Edited:
OP, how many different 7mag bullets have you shot out of your rifle?
Maybe it's telling you that it doesn't like the blue box 150 gr.
Shot placement is the key but I would also try a premium bullet or two to see what your rifle likes.
Thats just the way it is.

Eastside hunting.... unless you are going down in some thick reprod, I would take the 30-30 only as an emergency backup or a camp gun. Use the 7mm Rem Mag.

If hunting more open areas, stick with light and fast high performance bullets and lung/heart shots. Otherwise, just about anything your rifle likes will work in "normal" woods, until you come out into a big meadow or breaks with 300+ yard shots, where you better know your ballistics/drop.. Mine, Ruger 77, liked Nosler 175gr partition just fine. But that was before they made much in the way of alternatives.

The advice about reloading with several brands and weights of premium boolitts is very apt. You know this, right??? If you have the time and money. When you can afford it, and have the time, work up a bunch of laddered loads with different brands etc.... it's really the only way to be sure you are getting optimum accuracy out of that Savage. Unless of course, you want to nuke em from orbit!!

Last Edited:
OP, how many different 7mag bullets have you shot out of your rifle?
Maybe it's telling you that it doesn't like the blue box 150 gr.
Shot placement is the key but I would also try a premium bullet or two to see what your rifle likes.
Thats just the way it is.
Realistically, 7 or eight factory brands from 150 to 175, another half dozen handloads from 139 to 170.

Got a handful of premium bullets on the way yesterday. We'll see what I can make happen :D

But maybe I'm over thinking and the standard stuff I've always used will be just fine?
My elk @ 175 yards fell instantly to Remmie 165 soft point & never twitched.....I suspect taking out the entire C5 vertebra/spinal cord may have been as effective as needed. Didn't lose an oz. of meat either. Good luck. Oh....308 in a lightly sporterized ex.military Romanian mauser.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top