JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been going through my emergency kits and I've run into my old olive green GI wool blankets. It made me wonder what everybody else keeps in their kits. Do you guys use blankets and sleeping bags, just one of the two, or something else? Any favorite materials other than down or wool?

I keep some old wool blankets (grey and brown) in my rig.. an odd one that I use in the winter for a sleeping pad is as thick as a horse blanket/saddle pad, I think it might be some sort of rectangular wool rug or something.

I'd love to find some surplus wool blankets, but I'm also quite fond of poncho liners. In addition to using them as blankets, I have used them as an underquilt when camping in my hammock, and they work quite well for that.

Yup. Old GI Wool blankets, one no name grey wool blend (huge; king size?), poncho liner, survival flat pack blanket, all come along in the vehicle for emergencies if going to be hour or more away from civilization :)

I have used poncho liner plus modified Kelty summer bag for a lightweight combo going down to the 40s in addition to army closed cell foam pad; and also used the big gray wool, standard double sleeping bags, NATO White 80% wool naval blanket, and sometimes the Original Witney wool blanket on top for car camping down to the mid teens- low 20s with the woman... toasty warm

Although camping...

First time I used my hammock; I used blue closed cell foam pad, fleece bag liner on top of pad, and the 80s modified Intermediate Cold Weather mummy bag, I was toasty warm down to the low 40s.... granted it was also the first time I used my small camo tarp lol. Stayed high and dry overnight while other people got flooded tents:D

I have yet to try open fire, tarp and wool blanket combo.

Growing up up, we had GI blankets throughout the house. Scratchiest, heavy things! I slept on a "GI" bunk complete with the 2" cotton stuffed mattress and steel slatted bottom. Ol' creaky.

I have two waterproof fleece throws. They will cover 2/3 of my body, which is enough to keep me warm on a snowy night, car off. BTDT.

When I'm out on bivouac, I have my bag which will get me comfortably down to 20°F, and then some mil-spec aluminized mylar, which gets me down to zero, plus is waterproof. Total weight is ~4#.
The only thing I don't care for about the bag/mylar setup is it doesn't breathe, so I wake up with my own exhale frozen on the plastic and outside the bag. Upside, even in rain, if I'm properly situated with the opening down-slope, I'm dry as a bone.

Last Edited:
having lost a VERY nice Scottish Wool car blanket when our car was stolen we now keep a couple of Harbor Freight Moving blankets in the cars. They were $3 each on sale and along with a couple of Mylar Emergancy blankets take care of our automotive blanket needs.

I love wool. Though I prefer not to use the scratchy kind for everyday usage, a good merino wool blanket or piece of clothing is usually comfortable and holds up well. It's just too expensive most of the time.

I use a snugpak jungle blanket from Amazon.

B3464C46-C9A3-47C7-95EE-78DD22C4FD52.jpeg

Light and supposed to be better than the poncho liner

I also keep cheap emergency blankets in my hunting pack and car kit

With all the advancements in materials sciences, does anybody know of anything better than wool or polar fleece for keeping some warmth when cold AND wet?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top