Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Farmers now required to have license to scare birds

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by RB87, May 2, 2011.

1. RB87

RB87 Oregon Active Member

Farmers now required to have a license for 'bird bangers' | Yakima Herald-Republic

"WHITSTRAN, Wash. -- Brad Klingele would trust his 13-year-old son to use his bird-scaring gun in the cherry orchard.

But to pack the noise-making gun, which looks more like a toy, Klingele will have to get a federal license and provide his fingerprints and photo identification.

To keep explosives out of the "wrong hands," the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is now requiring farmers who use them to get a license.

ATF gave the contraptions an acronym -- EPCD, for explosive pest control devices -- though farmers typically call them bird bangers, shell crackers or other variations of trade names."

Next up, licenses for sparklers...

Lush and (deleted member) like this.
  2. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Absolutely ridiculous, is this just for Washington or a federal law?

3. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Soon the farmers can get their kids suppressors for their .22's and send them out to the orchards. ;)

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Asinine.

5. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

it's a Federal thing, since the ATF made the rule.

What a bunch of morons. Oh, well, I'll just let the youngster take his 20 gauge out and use it.

6. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Yup.

7. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I used to work in the orchards in the Yakima valley when I was a kid. We shot those things off all the time. Never lost any fingers. When the cherries get ripe, the #1 enemy is birds before you can get them picked. Is this classified as an AOW? My uncle and I would blow old apple tree stumps out of the ground using small peices of tnt. That was back in the early 70's. But back then you could go to high school with a rifle in your back window and go hunting after school. There is always somebody that thinks they have to control everybody??????????????

8. Browning55

Browning55 Seattle-Everett Area Active Member

Our brilliant legislature will also be looking at requiring a license for the birds before they are allowed to be scared.

9. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

And I bet the bloke doesn't get a single one back even if he's found innocent. Or at least he'll be charged storage fees for them, and I bet they'll be in worse shape.

10. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

I bought a couple boxes of those several years ago. I remember having to provide a reason (I described a scene from Hitchcocks's The Birds) for ordering them and sign a form before they would let me have them.

11. marty8587

marty8587 NE Portland Active Member

A kid in an orchard shooting sparrows.... sounds like a Norman Rockwell painting to me. We are loosing our heritage.

12. jvbutter

jvbutter Cornelius, Or Active Member

Its truly amazing how much spare time our legislators have, they can make up silly laws and regs.... Kind of like Oregon working on plastic bag ban vs the budget and spending reform

13. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

This is EXACTLEY the point of all federal authority: total enslavement of all law abiding persons and the outright destruction of human rights using outlaws to opress and terrorize the citizenry so that they will view Totalitarian rule as prefferable to rape and pillage.
    Silly Laws are an expression of a governing class's distain/disgust of the Citizen/Subject class.
    Drowning in high fuel prices/crime? Here's a plastic bag law we spent month's on instead of addressing real problems created by a corrupt political system that uses political pay back as pay-off for political contributions from corrupt Unions and Businesses!

14. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Maybe the ATF should weigh the potential threat to public safety from an over reaching, and out of control FEDERAL GOVERNMENT instead!!