JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So all the abduction and assimilation talk aside....

Read the article, nothing really that exciting. 15kt would definitely ruin the downtown of most towns in the midwest or the south, CA, OR, and WA since the 1960's have all been paranoid about earthquakes, this is especially true of CA, OR and WA haven't been as crazy, but also have huge numbers of older buildings, however few of them are more than a few stories.

The biggest issue over-all is panic, most of the west-coast megacities could probably absorb a 15kt blast, and some of the suburbs wouldn't even notice. However, everyone would freak right the f--- out.

The one thing that comes into play, is a surface burst is going to generate a lot of extra fallout via neutron activation of materials near the blast. This is going to cause some problems, but nothing world ending.

As far as the KI debate goes, there are two common elements that are created by nuclear blasts Strontium-90, Cesium-137, and Iodine-131 one is an akalai metal, the other is an alkaline earth metal, and the last is a halogen. Sr-90 acts as a biological equivalent to calcium and is incorporated into bones, with a half life of 28 years, exposing bone tissues to alpha, which is bad, causes cancer and the like. Cs-137 can replace potassium, and sodium as an analog, it has a half life of 30 years. I-131 is a bit more dangerous with it's half-life of 8 days. Either way, none of these things are things you want in your body. KI (potassium iodine) will limit uptake of both by saturating the tissues in the body, so if you do ingest these materials, they will hopefully be eliminated rather than taken up.

I'm not really negative, I'm just neutral on the article. I'm not suddenly more freaked out because of what the norks are doing.

I'm just thinking a 15 KT blast over Seattle is going to mean an immediate rise in my property values over a very short period of time as refugees flood over the mountains looking for shelter.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top