JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have gone through enough cheap (10-20.00) pairs of eye pro to realize I should just invest in something a little nicer, longer lasting and comfortable for 5+ hour training sessions/fun and competition. Anyone have anything they suggest/really like? Would like to stay below 100.00 if possible. I was looking at Magpuls but can't find a place that has a pair to try. I'm a big baby when it comes to ear pro pressing in on them for hours, so something thin and flexible would be awesome. I also prefer clear lenses. Hit me with what ya guys got!

I'm a 1911 and leather holster at 4 o'clock kinda guy so trust me when I say these are not for fashion, but after taking some lead to the face six months ago I too wanted a more solid pair of shooting glasses. I ordered these Pit Vipers for their coverage and strength. They're adjustable and fit great under ear pro. They have been so good I'm thinking of ordering another pair. Z87+ rated lenses, so you got high-impact protection. You also get high-impact Garand Thumb YouTube vibes, for better or worse.

I'm a 1911 and leather holster at 4 o'clock kinda guy so trust me when I say these are not for fashion, but after taking some lead to the face six months ago I too wanted a more solid pair of shooting glasses. I ordered these Pit Vipers for their coverage and strength. They're adjustable and fit great under ear pro. They have been so good I'm thinking of ordering another pair. Z87+ rated lenses, so you got high-impact protection. You also get high-impact Garand Thumb YouTube vibes, for better or worse.

Ah yes, the ol birth control glasses.... ;)

Solid for sure but looking for something a LITTLE sleeker. Thanks for the reply though!

I've had Oakley, Riva, Beretta, Wylie-X, B&L, Ray Ban, "Cabelas Pro" (whoever makes those) and plenty of cheapies.
Currently using Ray Ban, Rx glasses, otherwise I'd use cheapies.
Unless you get glass lenses, they all scratch. Believe it or not, the $12 yellow safety glasses you can buy at Walmart work really well.
The Rivas were my favorite, but at $285 a pair, replacing them was not an option the 2nd time around.
Close second has been the Ray Bans, on my 3rd pair.
The Wylie-X are the most comfortable under ear pro, but I hate how they fog up on me.
+1 to @BillyJean 's recommendation to angle-adjustable safety glasses. I use Uvex and American Safety (from work) many times over my prescription lenses.
However, for the most part, I find muffs over glasses to be a PITA and now use electronic in-ear protection or just foam plugs.

I've had Oakley, Riva, Beretta, Wylie-X, B&L, Ray Ban, "Cabelas Pro" (whoever makes those) and plenty of cheapies.
Unless you get glass lenses, they all scratch. Believe it or not, the $12 yellow safety glasses you can buy at Walmart work really well.
The Rivas were my favorite, but at $285 a pair, replacing them was not an option the 2nd time around.
The Wylie-X are the most comfortable under ear pro, but I hate how they fog up on me.
+1 to @BillyJean 's recommendation to angle-adjustable safety glasses. I use Uvex and American Safety (from work) many times over my prescription lenses.
However, for the most part, I find muffs over glasses to be a PITA and now use electronic in-ear protection or just foam plugs.
I gotta say, the thinness of my Ray Ban outdoorsman is amazing. What I use when I'm out in real world shooting and not at a range (to your point, OP haha).

Agreed…. The spendy "name brand" stuff gets destroyed just as fast as the "cheap" stuff. At work I use your standard "wrap around" style safety glasses that have x2 cheaters already molded into the lenses, all day everyday 8-16 hrs a day. I oftentimes forget I'm wearing them and wear them even while doing office type work or even driving from one job site to the next. They come in clear, smoke, and I believe in yellow tints.

I know that they're not high dollar, but I've gotten used to Radians brand safety glasses after they were issued at work one day.
Radians has several different designs.....do an Image Search.
Revelation_RV0110ID__09487.1648249742.jpg

Buy once cry once so spend at least $1000.

Lol

Most home supply stores from general to specialty will have a little carousel of ansi approved glasses of various persuasions for like $8. They're generally excellent.

Just like putting "wedding" before "cake," putting "shooting" before any accessory just makes it expensive. Go with standard safety glasses, you'll be fine

Since I have to correct my vision (currently, using contacts).
For me....
My plastic lens "shooting glasses" always seemed to get scratched. Yeah, I thought I was being careful enough.

Yup.....the frames are usually the big cost of new glasses.

So, HINT.......
Real "glass/glasses" put into your favorite old frame might be the answer. See your eye doctor......he/she might even bump (up or down) your new Rx for real shooting duties. Yes, the "main focus" when shooting........probably is different from your regular everyday vision/glasses.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I wear prescription eye glasses but I bought some sunglasses what I could put over my eye glasses. I did take some training class and wore those sunglasses all day. It depends on your frames. I get the smaller frames so I do not have issues over the years. I bought my first pair at the Lake Union Boat show back in 2001.

https://www.z-xg.com/store/XG-Fit-Over-Sunglasses-c21887478

Little different direction thought. I've upgraded the ear pads on my ear pro with Prohear gel ear pads and this make a huge difference for me in comfort around glasses and just all around comfort. Better sound pro IMHO as well.

As for glasses I wear Decot Rx, different styles depending on shotgun or rifle/pistol.

Have gone through enough cheap (10-20.00) pairs of eye pro to realize I should just invest in something a little nicer, longer lasting and comfortable for 5+ hour training sessions/fun and competition. Anyone have anything they suggest/really like? Would like to stay below 100.00 if possible. I was looking at Magpuls but can't find a place that has a pair to try. I'm a big baby when it comes to ear pro pressing in on them for hours, so something thin and flexible would be awesome. I also prefer clear lenses. Hit me with what ya guys got!
my 20$ carhartt ones have held up for over a year.
probably the longest I've gone without losing a pair.

Have gone through enough cheap (10-20.00) pairs of eye pro to realize I should just invest in something a little nicer, longer lasting and comfortable for 5+ hour training sessions/fun and competition.
The most comfortable eyepro for me is a cheap pair I got at Home Depot specifically because the arms are super super thin and dont irriate my noggin after a full day of wearing hearing muffs. The only real thing that matters is they are ANSI Z87 something rated.

I like Radnor Classic Plus. They're z87+ rated and at about 3$ a pair I can afford to buy in bulk and replace as needed. I wear them 8hrs a day at work without discomfort.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top