JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had issues with consistency load-to-loaf with the drum powder measure and I don't want to use an RCBS powder measure because you are in effect using a single-stage press process.

Have you ever looked at something someone posted on a blog and then we're astonished to find out it was you who wrote it? Well, in my previous math calculations I neglected to consider the VMD of the powder. Doh!

I appreciate Xaevian pointing out my math error.

One of the issues with posting on a web site is you risk showing your mistakes, but I do appreciate those of you who responded to help me keep my face intact! :D
For load to load consistency I add a wooden disc on top of the powder in the hopper:
PMweightS.jpg
I have found better consistency via testing with the weight.
works for me,
:D

Last Edited:
For load to load consistency I add a wooden disc on top of the powder in the hopper:
View attachment 617196
I have found better consistency via testing with the weight.
works for me,

I was thinking I needed a baffle inside my powder hopper, like you see on the fancy YouTube videos. With the hopper always moving around with the pull of a handle I think it loads pretty well as long as you stay consistent with the pull of the handle...

Last Edited:
I was thinking I needed a baffle inside my powder hopper, like you see on the fancy YouTube videos. With the hopper always moving around with the ball of a handle I think it loads pretty well as long as you stay consistent with the pull of the handle...
thanks for reading/quoting my post
You will find there's a small exit hole in the bottom of Lee hoppers that I believe acts as a baffle.
I use my setup in a progressive where the shell plate turns, not the die turret...so there's that :rolleyes:
The wooden weight pictured is not really a lot of weight and I think just helps settle the powder when throwing small amounts/charges.

Last Edited:
I was thinking I needed a baffle inside my powder hopper, like you see on the fancy YouTube videos. With the hopper always moving around with the pull of a handle I think it loads pretty well as long as you stay consistent with the pull of the handle...
They (baffles) 'can' help Jim. Depends on the shape, density, and slickeriness of the powder you're using. Sometimes flakey powders (espesially large flakes) will kind of stack up over a baffle and cause errant throws. I find they work best with ball type powders. I have an aluminum puck much like the wooden one @Tilos has that I use sometimes also. Sometimes nothing at all seems to work best. More trial and error science:p. I definitely still like to look in the case and verify that the charge looks right even after getting a good consistent set of 10-20 charges weighing closely. Single stage, turret, or progressive I still want to see it. Any question I weigh it. Lord I hate taking apart ammo just because something 'might' have gone wrong:confused:.

They (baffles) 'can' help Jim. Depends on the shape, density, and slickeriness of the powder you're using. Sometimes flakey powders (espesially large flakes) will kind of stack up over a baffle and cause errant throws. I find they work best with ball type powders. I have an aluminum puck much like the wooden one @Tilos has that I use sometimes also. Sometimes nothing at all seems to work best. More trial and error science:p. I definitely still like to look in the case and verify that the charge looks right even after getting a good consistent set of 10-20 charges weighing closely. Single stage, turret, or progressive I still want to see it. Any question I weigh it. Lord I hate taking apart ammo just because something 'might' have gone wrong:confused:.

I make it a point in my new room to stand at my turret since it's on a riser so I can see into the case. I can't get a glimpse while sitting.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top