JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Up until now I have not owned a suppressor, I have a 300 BLK but I use it for supersonic because I like the performance out of the short barrel.

Today though I bought a Remington 700 SPS tactical AAC-SD, I got the threaded version entirely in anticipation of the HPA passing (whether it does or not I was still going to get a .308 M700). If/When it does I will for sure get a suppressor for it and the 300 BLK and probably others.

My question is; what are you guys using for ammunition in these that will expand at low velocity? I would like to use it for coyote extermination and pig hunting, with a suppressor and subsonic loads, but I can't find any .308 bullets that say they expand at such low speed, the partition needs at least 1800 fps. I suppose a 240 gr SMK would tumble like crazy and wreak havoc, but expansion would be nice.

I'm using a 200gr Makers bullet seems like a good bullet groups well at 100 yrds, haven't got to kill anything with them yet.
Shooting a ruger ranch rifle.

Sadly, the velocity is slow as you know :-(, For this reason I parted with my M700 in .300BLK two years ago.

Had I known now... I would have bought the bullets that the subsonic manufacturers are using. I would copy their bullet, some though use their own propriertary bullet that only comes on the tip of their bullets. Sadly that's how it works.

Testing Expanding Subsonic Bullets - 300BlkTalk

You aren't the only one rowing in that boat. Maybe they have expanded their fracturing subsonic bullets now.

I think your question is for loading for the 308 right?

I think everyone else thinks you are asking about loading for the 300 BLK....

If you are looking for low velocity expanding bullets for loading in the 308 Winchester due to the short barrel on your Remington 700 AAC... Then check out a 125 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, I think Hornady and Speer both make a 130 grain bullet that should work for your application in the 308 also.

If you are looking for expanding bullets in the 300 BLK, then look to something in a cast bullet maybe with a gas check....

If I am wrong about everyone else's confusion about what question you are asking, I apologize.

Correct, I'm loading for .308.

I'm mostly looking for heavy bullets, at least 180 gr, but I'd prefer over 200. Heavier bullet means more energy for the same velocity, and I wouldn't trust a light ballistic tip on a wild pig.

I'm not sure the 1:10 twist would stabilize a 125 gr bullet anyway.

I have considered cast bullets, I could cast them out of 16:1 and they would expand nicely at low velocity, but I don't want to run them through a gas operated rifle, or a can.

So to clarify, I'm looking for a heavy, .30 caliber bullet for loading .308, that will expand at under 1000 fps (which might not even exist).

Just saying, if the HPA passes, the wait for suppressors will sky rocket! If you think the current 9 month - 1 year wait is bad... There is absolutely zero reason not to purchase now. As soon as the act passes your wait will be over anyways, and you will be refunded your $200 stamp. Consider it a "backorder".
Worst case scenario, HPA passes and they don't refund stamps paid (as stated in the current proposed bill), you're out $200. If $200 is the deciding factor, you shouldn't be getting into the world of class 3's and silencers regardless of their current standing.
Worser case scenario, HPA doesn't pass and you wait for your can like everyone else.
Buying a can these days takes very little time and effort... Get it done.

Part of it is that I can't find anyone local who stocks the one that I want, I have looked into it before. As I understand it they have to have it transferred to them, and then after that transferred to me. I suspect the demand for $800-$1000 suppressors won't skyrocket that high, the less expensive ones probably. So for now I am biding my time until they become simpler to buy. I figure if I have to wait 1+ years anyway I might as well just wait until it passes and save the hassle and potential $200.

I am already in the world of class 3 though, my 300 blk is a 9.5" SBR.

Correct, I'm loading for .308.

I'm mostly looking for heavy bullets, at least 180 gr, but I'd prefer over 200. Heavier bullet means more energy for the same velocity, and I wouldn't trust a light ballistic tip on a wild pig.

I'm not sure the 1:10 twist would stabilize a 125 gr bullet anyway.

I have considered cast bullets, I could cast them out of 16:1 and they would expand nicely at low velocity, but I don't want to run them through a gas operated rifle, or a can.

So to clarify, I'm looking for a heavy, .30 caliber bullet for loading .308, that will expand at under 1000 fps (which might not even exist).
If you do go the cast route this article is a good read for bottleneck stuff. It seems like some sort of soft flat nosed projectile would knock a pig on its keester if you could get it to work.
Accurate Shooting With Cast Bullets From 100 To 1000 Yards

If you do go the cast route this article is a good read for bottleneck stuff. It seems like some sort of soft flat nosed projectile would knock a pig on its keester if you could get it to work.
Accurate Shooting With Cast Bullets From 100 To 1000 Yards

I have a 180 gr mold for .30-30 that would probably work pretty well, otherwise I would have accurate cut me a heavier one, the short neck on a .308 might prove troublesome for the cast bullets though.

I have a 180 gr mold for .30-30 that would probably work pretty well, otherwise I would have accurate cut me a heavier one, the short neck on a .308 might prove troublesome for the cast bullets though.
Do they make a 45-70 barrel for that 700? :D sorry:oops:.

Part of it is that I can't find anyone local who stocks the one that I want, I have looked into it before. As I understand it they have to have it transferred to them, and then after that transferred to me. I suspect the demand for $800-$1000 suppressors won't skyrocket that high, the less expensive ones probably. So for now I am biding my time until they become simpler to buy. I figure if I have to wait 1+ years anyway I might as well just wait until it passes and save the hassle and potential $200.

I am already in the world of class 3 though, my 300 blk is a 9.5" SBR.

I've only bought one of my suppressors from a local dealers stock... The other 4 where all purchased online, 2 of them from Silencershop.
An online purchase would be transferred to the dealer first via form 3 (takes about 3-6 weeks), then they would transfer it to you via Form 4 (9-12 months). The form 3 requires zero effort from you, literally the only disadvantage of purchasing online is that dealers will charge you a transfer fee. Well... the transfer fee is usually around $50. 90% of the time buying online will save you much more than $50. And if you buy from silencershop, there is no transfer fee, and they are almost always the cheapest place to buy from. And actually if you buy from silencershop, they take care of everything; the Form 3, Form 4, tax stamp everything. All you have to do is send them your money and your fingerprints + passport photo.

Also, if you think the demand for $800-1000 suppressors won't skyrocket, you're wildly delusional :s0064:

The demand for them right now, is already greater than a lot of manufactures can keep up with.

Buy one already!
Which can are you looking at?

I'd try some "heavy" .32 handgun bullets like the 115gr Gold Dot.. they are .312 and I'd think you could size them down easily enough if necessary. If they fly straight, at least you know they'll expand down to around maybe 900fps.

I will look into it more then Max, it is about time I get one, I have 2 guns now that are begging for one, and it would be easy enough to get a threaded barrel for a bunch of my handguns.

I've been looking at the AAC 762-sdn-6, and the silencerco Saker. both are fairly compact and will do every rifle caliber I have right now.

I'm sure the gold dot bullets would expand fine, but I doubt they'd be that effective on a wild pig, I would trust a heavier bullet more.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top