JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gabe took over from me when I retired in 2013 as the lead firearms instructor at PSTC and we stay in touch. He sent me those dates in a email earlier today as part of a follow up to our discussion about his encounter with Jeff Gonzalez who runs Trident Concepts and who I'd trained with decades ago. He had dinner with Jeff while at a recent instructor conference in Dallas, TX.
How cool is that! It's awesome to "meet" you sir. My name is Todd, and, Thank you for building a great program at PSTC.

Is it correct that all of these classes require ammo to be purchased from PSTC?
Do you know where his personal course will be held at ?
Thank you for sharing the info
Historically if you shoot at PSTC you buy their ammo. They have to keep the place open somehow. :p
I'm nearly certain that for the PSTC 102/103 you would buy their ammo, I can ask for sure. I typically am helping out in the lower level classes where they need more assistance.

Last year when Gabe's own class was held at the PSTC it had been intended that you had to buy PSTC ammo. But due to the ammo crunch it ended up allowed for us to bring our own. I have no idea what will happen this year? As someone at PSTC said; "It's hard to put that sand back in the bag."

SKN could perhaps add clarity about the location of PSS since he has a direct line. All I can say for sure is last summer it happened both times at PSTC, and since that is Gabe's home turf I can strongly suspect that will be the case again.

Historically if you shoot at PSTC you buy their ammo. They have to keep the place open somehow. :p
I'm nearly certain that for the PSTC 102/103 you would buy their ammo, I can ask for sure. I typically am helping out in the lower level classes where they need more assistance.

Last year when Gabe's own class was held at the PSTC it had been intended that you had to buy PSTC ammo. But due to the ammo crunch it ended up allowed for us to bring our own. I have no idea what will happen this year? As someone at PSTC said; "It's hard to put that sand back in the bag."

SKN could perhaps add clarity about the location of PSS since he has a direct line. All I can say for sure is last summer it happened both times at PSTC, and since that is Gabe's home turf I can strongly suspect that will be the case again.
Appreciate the good info.
Thank you

Is it correct that all of these classes require ammo to be purchased from PSTC?
Do you know where his personal course will be held at ?
Thank you for sharing the info
Gabe's personal course is scheduled to be held at PSTC. The standard practice has been to use ammo purchased from them for all shooting activities held there but that has been waived in the past. Check with them to verify.

PISTOL SHOOTING SOLUTIONS scheduled for the PSTC facility in Clackamas Oregon.

Oct 8,9
Dec 3,4

Gabe told me that OUTSIDE AMMO WILL BE ALLOWED so you can bring your own and not have to buy theirs.

My son and I signed up for October. Hope to meet some of you there!

It was great. I am not really good at writing AARs, but I came away with a lot of useful things to work on. I would say, overall, it was a deep dive on draw (especially appendix), vision, and trigger press, which is exactly what I was looking for. There was a chunk of time spent on shooting on the move, which was also very useful, and a chunk spent on use of cover in defensive scenarios. The last part was pretty thought provoking, but more like an intro into a really deep topic. If you've seen the "balcony video" from the Dallas mass shooting, where a guy killed a bunch of cops with an AK-74, it was about those concepts.

There were a lot of good shooters in the class, I was in the bottom 3rd for skill, and there were about 3 really amazing shooters. Always amazing to see a high level of skill in other students.

@Forester I did not realize there was a NWFA member there. I was the guy with the equipment failure on my Holosun, losing the battery tray screw on both my main and backup guns, and having to borrow my friends backup gun on the first day. 😂

It was great. I am not really good at writing AARs, but I came away with a lot of useful things to work on. I would say, overall, it was a deep dive on draw (especially appendix), vision, and trigger press, which is exactly what I was looking for. There was a chunk of time spent on shooting on the move, which was also very useful, and a chunk spent on use of cover in defensive scenarios. The last part was pretty thought provoking, but more like an intro into a really deep topic. If you've seen the "balcony video" from the Dallas mass shooting, where a guy killed a bunch of cops with an AK-74, it was about those concepts.

There were a lot of good shooters in the class, I was in the bottom 3rd for skill, and there were about 3 really amazing shooters. Always amazing to see a high level of skill in other students.

@Forester I did not realize there was a NWFA member there. I was the guy with the equipment failure on my Holosun, losing the battery tray screw on both my main and backup guns, and having to borrow my friends backup gun on the first day. 😂
Nocaster: I didn't see all of that…..Gabe kept us pretty busy. I had a case failure that damaged my mag release. I also switched to my backup gun.
2 is 1, 1 is none.
Some very high quality shooters for sure.
Gabe's teaching method is like none I have seen before.
I like how he included multiple times drills.
I expected a little more personal feedback on what improvements to make.

I plan to send him a well thought out response.

It was a great class. A newer shooter would of probably not got as much out of it.

@Forester @Nocaster @titsonritz My son and I took the class in October. So great to have time with him. And the class of course was excellent. I got my 2nd Dark pin, that seems to be about where I live. :) I was shooting Wednesday night with two of the guys who were in your December class. Fred, and ex-cop, and Mitchell. They both earned Light pins. I've shot with them often, and, yes; they're consistently that good. :) I second all of Nocaster's comments.

@Forester @Nocaster @titsonritz My son and I took the class in October. So great to have time with him. And the class of course was excellent. I got my 2nd Dark pin, that seems to be about where I live. :) I was shooting Wednesday night with two of the guys who were in your December class. Fred, and ex-cop, and Mitchell. They both earned Light pins. I've shot with them often, and, yes; they're consistently that good. :) I second all of Nocaster's comments.
Is that a league that you participate in?

I was the guy with the equipment failure on my Holosun, losing the battery tray screw on both my main and backup guns, and having to borrow my friends backup gun on the first day. 😂
I always wondered about that setup and if there would be potential issues with that screw backing out.

I had a case failure that damaged my mag release. I also switched to my backup gun.
2 is 1, 1 is none.
Both of these comments should serve as great examples to anyone into training why they should have a spare gun or two. I always bring spares with me. Training costs are too much of in investment in both time and money to risk being shut down by a weapon failure and one should not rely on the possibility of a loaner, it may not be there.

Thanks for the review from all three of you.

Yes @Forester Gabe runs it right there at PSTC on Wednesday nights so we get to hang with him a lot. It goes in 6 week cycles with limited availability. I get to do it maybe 3 times a year. I was subbing in for someone who couldn't make it this last Wednesday. Gabe had us experiment with skipping bullets off of the floor, then a timed and scored "stage" with some really hard shooting problems.

I always wondered about that setup and if there would be potential issues with that screw backing out.

Both of these comments should serve as great examples to anyone into training why they should have a spare gun or two. I always bring spares with me. Training costs are too much of in investment in both time and money to risk being shut down by a weapon failure and one should not rely on the possibility of a loaner, it may not be there.

Thanks for the review from all three of you.
My son was running my backup gun. He usually runs a .40 but since I was buying all the ammo we both shot 9mm. They're Springfield XDM 3.8" Compact and I love them. Many thousands of rounds with no issues. My EDC has a Trijicon RMR and the backup has Heine 'straight 8' irons.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top