JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes @Forester Gabe runs it right there at PSTC on Wednesday nights so we get to hang with him a lot. It goes in 6 week cycles with limited availability. I get to do it maybe 3 times a year. I was subbing in for someone who couldn't make it this last Wednesday. Gabe had us experiment with skipping bullets off of the floor, then a timed and scored "stage" with some really hard shooting problems.
Do I find the info of how to participate on the PSTC website or through Gabe?
It's close enough for me to consider that.
Thanks for the info.

Are those pins like webelo badges or something? :s0070:

8ACE755D-74EB-4A2F-AA5E-5A9C5C3BA508.png

I always wondered about that setup and if there would be potential issues with that screw backing out.

Both of these comments should serve as great examples to anyone into training why they should have a spare gun or two. I always bring spares with me. Training costs are too much of in investment in both time and money to risk being shut down by a weapon failure and one should not rely on the possibility of a loaner, it may not be there.

Thanks for the review from all three of you.
100%

I always wondered about that setup and if there would be potential issues with that screw backing out.
I have over 3k rounds on my glock 17 with a holosun without issues with that screw, battery replaced several times.

The one that gave me trouble in the class is on my p320, and I got this sight second hand. I had a screw back out on it about 500-800 rounds ago, I replaced it, and it happened again in the middle of class. I replaced the screw when I got home, and was keeping an eye on it the second day. It would move by 1/8 of a turn every couple hundred rounds and I had to retighten it. I think the threads are jacked up on the sight, so it's coming off and going on my kid's ruger .22. Not worth my time messing around with warranty work or repair, I'll just put a piece of tape over it. I'll try either a p2 or a steiner on that p320, or maybe the sig sight with the removable hood. I wish trijicon would update the rmr.

One nice thing about the holosun, is it kept working even with the battery out of it, as there's a solar battery. I don't know how long that lasts, I didn't test it out. It was bright enough indoors. When it backed out last time, I was in bright sunlight, and it was sub optimal

ETA: For sure always bring backup everything if taking a training class. I think just about every high round class I've taken, someone in the class had some kind of equipment failure.

I'll try either a p2 or a steiner on that p320, or maybe the sig sight with the removable hood. I wish trijicon would update the rmr.
I'd skip the Steiner and go the the P-2, the battery life on the MPS is more like the P-1, total crap.

One nice thing about the holosun, is it kept working even with the battery out of it, as there's a solar battery. I don't know how long that lasts, I didn't test it out. It was bright enough indoors. When it backed out last time, I was in bright sunlight, and it was sub optimal
You blew it, should have tested that.

I think you have to complete some of his curriculum here, https://www.clackamas.us/pstc

He let's you test out of some of it, and I'm sure earning a pin at his class should get you out of most of it. You should just email him. [email protected]
@Forester @Nocaster The way I started was by joining the Wednesday night league, since I didn't take class series (101, 101A, 102). From the website it says:
Training Prerequisite
Practical Pistol League is open to PST 102 graduates and those who successfully challenge the class standards through the PST 102 level. For more information, contact the PSTC at 503-794-8023.
So I just challenged the 102 test. Which you can do basically for free. You just go to the counter and say you want to take the 102 test and someone will administer it. It's not easy. But if you got a dark pin you should be ok.
Then after he watched me a while he invited me to take 103 and then the coaching class.

@Forester @Nocaster The way I started was by joining the Wednesday night league, since I didn't take class series (101, 101A, 102). From the website it says:
Training Prerequisite
Practical Pistol League is open to PST 102 graduates and those who successfully challenge the class standards through the PST 102 level. For more information, contact the PSTC at 503-794-8023.
So I just challenged the 102 test. Which you can do basically for free. You just go to the counter and say you want to take the 102 test and someone will administer it. It's not easy. But if you got a dark pin you should be ok.
Then after he watched me a while he invited me to take 103 and then the coaching class.
Thanks! That's encouraging!

I have over 3k rounds on my glock 17 with a holosun without issues with that screw, battery replaced several times.

The one that gave me trouble in the class is on my p320, and I got this sight second hand. I had a screw back out on it about 500-800 rounds ago, I replaced it, and it happened again in the middle of class. I replaced the screw when I got home, and was keeping an eye on it the second day. It would move by 1/8 of a turn every couple hundred rounds and I had to retighten it. I think the threads are jacked up on the sight, so it's coming off and going on my kid's ruger .22. Not worth my time messing around with warranty work or repair, I'll just put a piece of tape over it. I'll try either a p2 or a steiner on that p320, or maybe the sig sight with the removable hood. I wish trijicon would update the rmr.

ETA: For sure always bring backup everything if taking a training class. I think just about every high round class I've taken, someone in the class had some kind of equipment failure.
"I wish trijicon would update the rmr."
I've been looking at the Trijicon SRO. Not an update to the RMR exactly but 'the next thing.' I've asked Springfield directly if it would fit on my XDM compact and they said yes. I like the idea of the bigger field of view. Thinking about it. I currently have an RMR on one of the XDM's.
I also just put a Holsun 507k on my Hellcat. So far so good.

Training Prerequisite
Thankyou for the information. After the new year I will look into it.

Appreciate your input.

Thankyou for the information. After the new year I will look into it.

Appreciate your input.
No problem! First and foremost they will be watching to see if you demonstrate perfect safety; while loading, unloading, and vigilant 100% exercise of the 4 rules. If at any instant you have your finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be, or mismanage your muzzle, it will be an instant 'fail' no matter how well you shoot. Then, be kind, patient, respectful, teachable, and Not an idiot or a jerk, and you'll be fine. :) Merry Christmas!

Thanks! That's encouraging!
No problem! First and foremost they will be watching to see if you demonstrate perfect safety; while loading, unloading, and vigilant 100% exercise of the 4 rules. If at any instant you have your finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be, or mismanage your muzzle, it will be an instant 'fail' no matter how well you shoot.
I'm sure that's all good since you completed the PSS class!!
Then, be kind, patient, respectful, teachable, and Not an idiot or a jerk, and you'll be fine. :) Merry Christmas!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top