JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Jumping from great heights such as building roofs, balconies and cliffs. The result is often highly lethal and effective, however failed attempts can lead to permanent disability through shattered bones in various places, and other horrific injuries.
Dropping from a height accounts for only 2% of reported US suicides based on a 2005 research project. Hong Kong however, with its high number of sky scrapers, makes jumping the method of choice for 52.1% of suicides (study results 2006)". Suicidemethods.net

So according to this study.... Hong Kong should outlaw tall buildings!?!?

Here is an idea for those of you contemplating a letter (although this seems to me like an original idea, forgive me if somebody has beat me to the table).

If the representative would ban guns because the firearm was the cause of his brother's suicide (suicide = must prevent), then would the representative also back a repeal of assisted suicide (which is really shorthand for "death by willing medical professional")? In other words, is suicide that which must be avoided? Then there can be no room for assisted suicide in Oregon.

From his Introduction

I understand the complicated American relationship with guns. I grew up with guns. Some of my earliest memories are of pistols owned by my father and kept at home. Like many children, I knew where they were and I played with them. I can still vividly remember my ears ringing from an incident when a bullet discharged in our concrete basement....

Years later, tragedy struck my own family. My brother, who suffered from depression, disappeared. He had dropped out of sight before, but this time was different because he didn't come back. Several years later his body, a bottle of alcohol, and a gun were found in a deserted spot in the Mount Hood Forest where he had taken his own life....

:rolleyes::eek:o_O
Wow Earl. Just because you were stupid enough to play with your dad's firearms with the resulting ND does not mean you can project your dysfunction upon others. I have owned a firearm since I was 8-years old, never shot anyone, never ND'd in my bedroom (err,..um) with my rifle anyways, and never felt the need to impose my will on others for the sake of some fantasy about saving the childrenz.

Neither should have committed suicide. Much as I detest BlueManure's politics I would prefer him alive, albeit cleaning toilets in truck stops rather than strangling my freedoms.

Earl's Agenda revealed by his given example.

According to one study, in the decade following the 1996 law, the firearm homicide rate fell by 59% and firearm suicide rates fell by 65%.54 Australian states with faster
buybacks saw a larger drop in their suicide rates than states with slower buybacks.

Just need to pick the statistics you like. Its called bias. I can do it too.

By this graph from here
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/Lookup/3309.0Main+Features12005?OpenDocument
iLXt0aV.gif

The suicide rate went up the year after the ban.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top