JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm in WA btw and I don't plan on running to Oregon, but you do bring up a great point.

I've come to the following conclusions durring a SHTF scenario...

1) If you live in a major metro area, you're pretty much boned as far as bugging out. Any roads you do decide to traverse are probably going to be gridlocked like the aforementioned article states. 90% of people taking to the roads in a panic (going to the store, going home, going to the hills, picking up family members, etc) is going to be pure chaos. But all the roads all over the world? Doubtfull, just stay off major interstates/highways and avoid bottlenecks (i.e. bridges, cities, etc.).

2) If you do not have enough gas in storage to get to your destination (and back) you will end up walking. They say that you will probably take 2-3 times longer getting anywhere during SHTF...well, at least it SHOULD take you longer. Unless you're driving a dirt bike up unpassible roads by trucks you'd better be driving cautiously (avoiding bottle necks/choke points) and looking for possible danger areas. You may have to backtrack and go down several side-streets of 3rd alternative routes because of unforseen circumstances (Marial Law, Natural Dissasters, etc.). That takes time and fuel.

3) You can plan, plan and plan some more....but there will ALWAYS be something you didn't plan for happen that throws you fr a loop. Your vehicle breaks down, someone is your immediate family (or you) is criticlly injured or killed, an EMP tok out you vehicle, raiders setting up checkpoints within the first 72hrs instead of the forseen weeks later*, etc.

*Note: this brings me kinda back (full circle) to the article at hand. People that arm themselves with tons of guns, friends and ammo that have no "real plan" for food and other supplies will (in effect) become the very raiders that they plan to defend against. I truly believe in my heart that people that come into the prep forum that bash me for storring rice but say "maybe I should get more ammo, just in case" will be the first to victimize a "true prepper" in the event of SHTF. You may not think they have a plan down, but they do...make no mistake about it. I'm very leary of who I'm even going to take up to our final destination area...guys I went to school with and have known for years are still suspect in my eyes- keeping OPSEC about your plans is critical.

My 2.5 cents on this...

Excellent points all. I hope I am not much different than others here, but I will relate a little of my "prep" background and mindset. It all started with the Cuban Missile Crisis. My father was a federal employee and underwent Civil Defense training. I was a curious young lad and read his manuals. Our family built a fallout shelter in a hill behind the house, and I learned about dry storage techniques and rotating stock early on. A few years later when I was home on leave and while on a family hunting expedition, one night around the campfire the topic came up about the ultimate "what if" situation. The discussion went on late into the night and our family plan was born. We have actually run simulations, which were no notice calls for us to all assemble at the hunker down spot with our supplies, which we inventoried and then spent the balance of the time having fun. We now are on our third generation of children who have grown up with realistic preparation for an array of circumstances. All can shoot, farm and dress game. We don't live in a bunker mentality, but we live secure knowing that should the worst happen we know what to do, how to do it, and who will come to our aid should we miss our rendezvous.

That screw driven machine is an American invention....I remember it from the 60's. It was invented by a guy in Louisiana and sold as a rig for oil prospection in the bayous.

They've actually been around for well over a hundred years, I think a Swede created the first one in 1890, Americans, Germans (during WW2), British and Russians have all made vehicles of that type.

+1 :) i cant believe how far removed all these idiots think we are from those days...we are in fact about 40 seconds from riding horses again...

they are not idiots they just live in a different society and mind set then others. i have had people ask me why i still have horses when we don't ride daily like we used to.our horses are also still horses not stall pets they spend most of their time outside,never locked up in a stall,but they have stalls to go in and out.many say they are to fragile to last shtf.

This artical is terrible IMHO. The whole thing is predicated on one assumed situation that the author never mentions. It is my opinion that rigid thinking will kill you. Lets look at the first two... Im to lazy to go through the whole thing.

1. The bugout vechical.

An RV may not be the way to go in an earthquake but it may just be the best way to get out of the city in a pandemic, as for leaving before.... The people who left New Orleans before seemed to do a bit better than the ones who stayed IMHO and sitting on the freeway in an RV sure would beat a motorcycle, but again it all depends on the nature of the disaster. The roads may be clogged if an event happened at rush hour but what if it happens at 2am?

2.Misconception Number Two: You are fit enough to walk, carrying the stuff you think you need.
Who's going to carry stuff? Just about everyone owns roller luggage these days and people are not half a stupid as the author is assuming. Even if 60% of the people are to out of shape, cant walk 15 miles on pavement the 40% who can is a **** of alot of people. Can you tell the diffrence between 1mil vs 4mil people wandering around?

The whole list is like that, it takes one set of assumtions and replaces it with his own.

This artical is terrible IMHO. The whole thing is predicated on one assumed situation that the author never mentions. It is my opinion that rigid thinking will kill you. Lets look at the first two... Im to lazy to go through the whole thing.

1. The bugout vechical.

An RV may not be the way to go in an earthquake but it may just be the best way to get out of the city in a pandemic, as for leaving before.... The people who left New Orleans before seemed to do a bit better than the ones who stayed IMHO and sitting on the freeway in an RV sure would beat a motorcycle, but again it all depends on the nature of the disaster. The roads may be clogged if an event happened at rush hour but what if it happens at 2am?

2.Misconception Number Two: You are fit enough to walk, carrying the stuff you think you need.
Who's going to carry stuff? Just about everyone owns roller luggage these days and people are not half a stupid as the author is assuming. Even if 60% of the people are to out of shape, cant walk 15 miles on pavement the 40% who can is a **** of alot of people. Can you tell the diffrence between 1mil vs 4mil people wandering around?

The whole list is like that, it takes one set of assumtions and replaces it with his own.

you go ahead and roll that samsonite...ill take my external frame pack and my .22 and BUG OUT on foot...and if someone NEEDS a place to stay (not me of course :)) im sure theyll be taking over that RV of yours, as youd probably be sitting on the side of the road with the lights on, drinking your preparedness margaritas, listening to jimmy buffett, and eating all those freeze dried t-bones...thank you... :)

you go ahead and roll that samsonite...ill take my external frame pack and my .22 and BUG OUT on foot...and if someone NEEDS a place to stay (not me of course :)) im sure theyll be taking over that RV of yours, as youd probably be sitting on the side of the road with the lights on, drinking your preparedness margaritas, listening to jimmy buffett, and eating all those freeze dried t-bones...thank you... :)

But I'll die happy... :p

I was wondering how long that rolling suitcase would roll....after you left pavement....I hope I never have to walk, as I once rented my body out to a rich uncle and now one leg doesn't work so good on rough terrain....but if I'm in a metro area when SHTF I'll look for the RV and the Margaritas.....:s0155:

If it comes to that my bug out plan is simple - dirt bike. I don't care how clogged the roads are, I can get around any sort of traffic mess.
Pretty much anyone with a bike will have the advantage over 4 wheel vehicles on roads. Dirt bike gives me advantage over all other surface forms of transportation, with the exception of riding an animal. Let's face it, there are places where a horse can go but dirt bike cannot..

If it comes to that my bug out plan is simple - dirt bike. I don't care how clogged the roads are, I can get around any sort of traffic mess.
Pretty much anyone with a bike will have the advantage over 4 wheel vehicles on roads. Dirt bike gives me advantage over all other surface forms of transportation, with the exception of riding an animal. Let's face it, there are places where a horse can go but dirt bike cannot..

True, but you are pretty limited on what kind of gear you carry and protection from the elements. With everything there are drawbacks, just know that.

hey im sorry, but i truly believe that "less is more"...dunno what to say....mo' money mo' problems...dried fruit and pemmican...fresh greens and smoked salmon...im not trying to hole up in a compound...you see, i have embraced this planet, and i will continue to embrace whatever is left when/if i need to, taking only what i need to survive...you are going to continue to live unsustainably (what got us into this mess in the first place) and when your stores are gone, you will all die...sad, i know

hey im sorry, but i truly believe that "less is more"...dunno what to say....mo' money mo' problems...dried fruit and pemmican...fresh greens and smoked salmon...im not trying to hole up in a compound...you see, i have embraced this planet, and i will continue to embrace whatever is left when/if i need to, taking only what i need to survive...you are going to continue to live unsustainably (what got us into this mess in the first place) and when your stores are gone, you will all die...sad, i know
:s0155: Living light on the land is the best long term option, preservation of meat,(smoking or drying) and storage of dry foods is a skill that everyone should have.

:s0155: Living light on the land is the best long term option, preservation of meat,(smoking or drying) and storage of dry foods is a skill that everyone should have.

I hear that there is a guy that teaches that kind of stuff plus all kinds of weapon skills. I think his name is Al. I don't remember the last name but it I think it was Kaida or Kuyda or Kayda or something like that. Someone said that graduates of some of his courses even get this really cool vest.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top