JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I zero a rifle based on the intended purpose. Sounds like yours is for a more general purpose. With that in mind, AR sights are generally 2 1/2 inches over the bore. If I zero at 100 using 55gr factory ammo, the bullet trajectory peaks around the 100 yard mark without having crissed my point of aim at a closer distance, meaning I'm low at any point other than 100 and I'm really low beyond 200. For an LE patrol rifle, thats fine. Not gonna shoot that far and a 100 yard zero is easy to achieve on a square range.

A 200 yard zero means two POA intersections or "zeros". I think of this as more useful as a battle rifle with various ranges at play. I visualize a 6 inch tube going out to about 250 yards with my POA in the center and the bullet's trajectory basically stays in that tube from when it leaves the muzzle at the first low point, intersects POA around 50 yards, peaks around 140, intersects again at 200, and hitting the furthest low point around 250. Thats a head shot aiming dead on out to 250.

Last Edited:
idk. if benny didnt have his PF flyers he may not have been able to "pickle" the beast

pt2

These are making a comeback. Several MLB players are wearing them.

681D9E8C-9E1A-4062-96CF-59EB7B6055C8.jpeg

I zero a rifle based on the intended purpose. Sounds like yours is for a more general purpose. With that in mind, AR sights are generally 2 1/2 inches over the bore. If I zero at 100 using 55gr factory ammo, the bullet trajectory peaks around the 100 yard mark without having crissed my point of aim at a closer distance, meaning I'm low at any point other than 100 and I'm really low beyond 200. For an LE patrol rifle, thats fine. Not gonna shoot that far and a 100 yard zero is easy to achieve on a square range.

A 200 yard zero means two POI intersections or "zeros". I think of this as more useful as a battle rifle with various ranges at play. I visualize a 6 inch tube going out to about 250 yards with my POI in the center and the bullet's trajectory basically stays in that tube from when it leaves the muzzle at the first low point, intersects POI around 50 yards, peaks around 140, intersects again at 200, and hitting the furthest low point around 250. Thats a head shot aiming dead on out to 250.

I prefer the flatness of 100 yards zero out 200 yards.

Vast amounts of experience with a shorty like the O.P. and I always found a Modified Battle Zero was the best of all worlds from CQB to WAY the hell out there in Tango Land. Part of the reasons I prefer this set up is I'm not making sight adjustments until 200 meters, and can put all my shots on target with out having to remember holds! Practice and learn where your rifle prints and use that as your longer range set up! I would zero your irons to Point blank, and any magnifier to a more traditional 200 meter setting and then decide what you want after that! Zero a Laser slightly high @25 meters and your GTG!:)

Thanks, guys. @Ura-Ki No magnifier on this, it's a Bugout Bag/Briefcase Carry rig and volume and getting smacked around are already concerns. While I'd really LIKE to have some "counter-Vegas-type shooter" capacity, the primary mission is CQB and Active Shooter Response. The whackjob in Florida would be Primary Target, the scumbag in Vegas Secondary.

Preferred ammo... well, I'm looking at 62-64gr Gold Dots along with SOST and Mk 262, but I've yet to find any ballistics tables for those out of a 10.3. I don't think Hornady Interlock SBR made the Doc Roberts List...

I sight mine (10.5" pistol with brace) in a bit closer. 30-35 yards. But that "probably" means is a little high at 100 and then drops. Haven't tried it yet.

For CQB I'd say 50 yard zero is perfect.

I've never been in a gun fight, but I always figure anything out to 100 and beyond is likely just volley fire anyways.

It's all theoretical anyways.

Independent of optic or iron sighting in advice, Lasers should be set to align parallel with the bores line of sight.
I'm unable to explain precise reasons why, :confused:but it made perfect sense when I read about it.o_O
further research on the subject may be advantageous for those with lasers.
This link is not the one I read but speaks similarly.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...s-bore-line/&usg=AOvVaw27bamS2jXXOUk5zH-Nji3P

I visualize a 6 inch tube going out to about 250 yards with my POI in the center

I don't know much about battle rifles or CQB weapons. But for hunting, Sierra external ballistics always called this "Point Blank Range". Used it a lot for my 7mm Magnum back in the day.

Same, same... yes/no?

I don't know much about battle rifles or CQB weapons. But for hunting, Sierra external ballistics always called this "Point Blank Range". Used it a lot for my 7mm Magnum back in the day.

Same, same... yes/no?

Its the same. I think its really handy if the size of the "tube" is fairly small and the ranges arent too far. If you use the concept to the T, your actual POA intersections can be at some odd ranges. For someone who wants to play long range and use a BDC reticle or twist turrets, the math might a little more complicated vs a conventional 100 or 200 yard zero.

Its the same. I think its really handy if the size of the "tube" is fairly small and the ranges arent too far. If you use the concept to the T, your actual POA intersections can be at some odd ranges. For someone who wants to play long range and use a BDC reticle or twist turrets, the math might a little more complicated vs a conventional 100 or 200 yard zero.

I'm not capable of that stuff anymore. Have to have a point and shoot or I just don't get it. Not that I'm getting out in the woods anyway, but my SD rifles I try to keep pretty simple.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top