JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Watched some youtube reviews of knives yesterday instead of going outside and working on the property. I get that way sometimes - especially on Saturdays - then I feel guilty for not working.

That aside, I noticed that a lot of the reviewers were talking about and demonstrating batoning and chopping abilities of "survival knives". For the most part, I consider this abuse of a knife. I get that in an emergency situation a person may find that they need to misuse/abuse a tool to get an important job done, but from what I have seen, many of these people seem to consider such abuse of the tool as a regular use - even when they have a better tool.

Can I use the pommel of some knives as a hammer? Yes.
Can I use the tip of a knife to pry on something? Yes.
Can I use the knife as a digging tool? Yes.

Should I be surprised when continued use of the knife this damages the knife? No.

Would I prefer it doesn't? Yes, but it won't surprise me when using a tool the wrong way damages that tool - which is why I would not do it if I can - I would preferably use a different tool.

When I am working on my property, if I need to accomplish a certain task, if I do not have the required tool on my person I go to my truck or my shop and get that tool.

When I need to get a chainsaw unstuck from a log - I go get a wedge and use the back of an axe to pound it into the cut. When I need to dig a hole I use a shovel. When I need to cut thick wood I use an axe, or a saw. When I need to cut brush, I use a brush-cutter (brush hook or machete like tool). When I need to split wood, I use a splitting axe. When I need to make kindling, I use a hatchet.

I do these kinds of things quite often - at least several times a week most of the year. If either of my grandfathers (one a farmer, the other a woodsman - both worked in the outdoors most of their life) had seen me misusing a tool the way some of these survival knife "experts" use them - they would have at least taken the tool away from me with a stern talking to about not misusing tools and then shown me how to do it correctly with the right tool.

I carry a pocket knife on my person almost always - my keyring is attached to it. I do not carry a "survival knife" very often - I don't need to make traps, prepare game, or make shelter in my woods. I live at my BOL, I have shelter and food and water, I don't hunt anymore (if I have to, I can take deer off my any of my porches).

I probably should practice some of these things, but if I have to walk into the woods with the purpose of doing something, I take a few tools with me - a smallish knife like my Fallkniven F1, probably a brush cutting tool, and maybe a hatchet (especially if I am going any distance or time). The knife is probably the one thing I don't carry with me as I just don't need to use a knife that often for anything except cutting cordage and my pocket knife is generally adequate for that.

If I was hunting medium to large game (deer or larger) I would most probably take a hatchet/belt axe with me - I usually have. Splitting that pelvis bone is difficult with any knife in my experience, as is severing the spine if you are quartering an animal to get it back to a vehicle.

Watched some youtube reviews of knives yesterday instead of going outside and working on the property. I get that way sometimes - especially on Saturdays - then I feel guilty for not working.

That aside, I noticed that a lot of the reviewers were talking about and demonstrating batoning and chopping abilities of "survival knives". For the most part, I consider this abuse of a knife. I get that in an emergency situation a person may find that they need to misuse/abuse a tool to get an important job done, but from what I have seen, many of these people seem to consider such abuse of the tool as a regular use - even when they have a better tool.

Should I be surprised when continued use of the knife this damages the knife? No.

Would I prefer it doesn't? Yes, but it won't surprise me when using a tool the wrong way damages that tool - which is why I would not do it if I can - I would preferably use a different tool.

When I am working on my property, if I need to accomplish a certain task, if I do not have the required tool on my person I go to my truck or my shop and get that tool.

When I need to get a chainsaw unstuck from a log - I go get a wedge and use the back of an axe to pound it into the cut. When I need to dig a hole I use a shovel. When I need to cut thick wood I use an axe, or a saw. When I need to cut brush, I use a brush-cutter (brush hook or machete like tool). When I need to split wood, I use a splitting axe. When I need to make kindling, I use a hatchet.

I do these kinds of things quite often - at least several times a week most of the year. If either of my grandfathers (one a farmer, the other a woodsman - both worked in the outdoors most of their life) had seen me misusing a tool the way some of these survival knife "experts" use them - they would have at least taken the tool away from me with a stern talking to about not misusing tools and then shown me how to do it correctly with the right tool.

I carry a pocket knife on my person almost always - my keyring is attached to it. I do not carry a "survival knife" very often - I don't need to make traps, prepare game, or make shelter in my woods. I live at my BOL, I have shelter and food and water, I don't hunt anymore (if I have to, I can take deer off my any of my porches).

I probably should practice some of these things, but if I have to walk into the woods with the purpose of doing something, I take a few tools with me - a smallish knife like my Fallkniven F1, probably a brush cutting tool, and maybe a hatchet (especially if I am going any distance or time). The knife is probably the one thing I don't carry with me as I just don't need to use a knife that often for anything except cutting cordage and my pocket knife is generally adequate for that.

If I was hunting medium to large game (deer or larger) I would most probably take a hatchet/belt axe with me - I usually have. Splitting that pelvis bone is difficult with any knife in my experience, as is severing the spine if you are quartering an animal to get it back to a vehicle.

Amen!:s0101:

I forgot to mention one thing - some of the 'Experts' mentioned some of the 'survival knives' coming from a combat history and that being some kind of advantage.

I think they envision having to use their 'survival knife' is hand to hand combat or sneaking up on an enemy sentry and slitting his throat. For most of these people I think that is probably more fantasy than reality should SHTF.

I on the other hand, am 63 years old. I would be dead in five minutes - probably less - if I only had a knife to defend myself and encountered someone younger, less disabled, who had even a modicum of training with a knife.

Do I have a few knives that are only 'combat' knives? Yes, a couple, but I have no fantasies of actually using them in defense (If I did, I would recognize them as such - fantasies, not reality).

The most likely use of such a knife would be as a last ditch backup hidden somewhere on my person that I could use to free myself in some manner, or maybe take out some unaware/negligent enough to give me a chance to give my family a chance, but that would not be a 'survival knife' in my opinion and I place little to no value in my general purpose knives having any fighting capability - especially that which compromises its ability to be used for its primary purpose.

If I did feel the need to carry a combat knife, it would be something like the Gerber dagger I did get and it would serve only that purpose.

Which kind of segues back around to what I was getting at in my first post; one edged tool doesn't do everything, and I would rather have a number of tools that do what they are designed to do very well, not one that does them all in a mediocre manner, or even kind of acceptable.

I am like anybody else, I like multi-purpose tools - they appeal to me, and I am willing to compromise if the tools are expensive and/or heavy (like guns are) and I get a payback by losing significant weight and bulk. But knives are relatively inexpensive (I have yet to spend more than $100 on one) and quite a bit lighter and smaller than all but one of my guns, and there is value in having more than one knife IMO - if I had to bug out, I would probably have at least three on my person, besides the brush cutting tool; right now I would choose my F1, CS Survival Edge, and my Gerber Prodigy or the LMFII.

We are only disappointed when we expect something.

I can agree on most all of the thread except that part.

I don't like multi use anything really.

A leatherman is a backup for dedicated stuff

Most of those multi-tools - the only decent thing on them is the pliers/cutters. The knife, screwdriver, etc. in the handles, pretty much suck and I would only use them if I had no other tools.

I have a Schrade copy of a Chris Reeve survival knife - always wanted one, could not bring myself to spend that kind of money, especially now that he no longer makes them. The Schrade knife has a bunch of bits in the pommel that you can use - screwdriver, etc. - only really decent part of the 'survival knife'.

I can agree on most all of the thread except that part.

I don't like multi use anything really.

A leatherman is a backup for dedicated stuff
I have a Leatherman EOD. I can't stand it, like most of the multi tools I've had. I hate it when you use the plier function and the jaws slip and then you pinch your hand. Blast them all straight to blazes. Pliers... stupidest thing ever to put on a pocket knife gizmo contraption. They charge enough for the POS's, too bad they can't design them well enough yet to actually be functional instead of eye candy for the man gathering. Kind of when everybody meets up and starts talking about their Glocks. Same thing with multi tools except one of them actually has a purpose. There, it had to be said.

If you are too dumb to not have a hatchet or axe handy... that's your problem.

I have a hatchet and full sized axe on my trunk (Fiskars). I got trapped once in the woods behind a fresh fallen tree once or twice.

There are some large 6-9" knives sold nowadays that are designed with extra thick (1/4" or so)blades so they can be used for battoning, and prying etc... "Prepared Mind" on youtube and others work with knife makers like Schrade to design them. In a bug out bag, or even a hiking pack, weight is a big factor, and the more function you can get out of each tool the better. That said I carry a hatchet because it doubles as a hammer. I have never had to baton, or do much splitting in the woods anyway. There is usually plenty of twigs and sticks around for starting fire, and once it gets going let the fire do the bucking. I guess it depends on the environment.

Here is a good case for battoning...

In Defense of Batoning

Yes, I have one of the Schrade thick survival knives - I wanted to get one and Schrade offers theirs with the TPE (rubber) scales that I like.

Thing is, as I said, it isn't that useful - I would not want to use it for any kind of game prep, it won't chop like a hatchet/axe (you need a much longer blade like a Kukri or parang) and it isn't good for much else.

Moreover, the cutting edge is still going to be thin in order to cut, so while you probably won't break the blade batoning (which in my opinion wastes calories and time) you still chance chipping/rolling the blade edge.

So yeah, I have one, but I don't care for it.

As for logs - yeah - not going to haul these to the fire without cutting and splitting:

2wc0axc.jpg

I like thick blades - my F1, Prodigy, LMFII are relatively thick. I can baton with them if I have to, but not going to unless I have no other choice. If I have to leave my BOL and live in the woods I probably won't be building a fire for anything except cooking meat, and only then if my stove has run out of fuel. The most likely reason I would leave my BOL would be someone coming after me and I am then not going to give away my position by building a fire unless I absolutely need to. People building fires in the woods is overrated - most of the time they do not need to.

I have a Leatherman EOD. I can't stand it, like most of the multi tools I've had. I hate it when you use the plier function and the jaws slip and then you pinch your hand. Blast them all straight to blazes. Pliers... stupidest thing ever to put on a pocket knife gizmo contraption. They charge enough for the POS's, too bad they can't design them well enough yet to actually be functional instead of eye candy for the man gathering. Kind of when everybody meets up and starts talking about their Glocks. Same thing with multi tools except one of them actually has a purpose. There, it had to be said.

I carried an old Gerber for many years and found it very handy doing maintenance. I found many times I could fix simple things on the investigation and inspection trip without having to go back to the truck for dedicated tools. The Gerber has at least two versions that won't pinch your hands, all tools lock in place, At least the one's I have, and they are guaranteed for life. I have had one flat screw driver replaced and one knife blade replacer over 35 year period free. (located of 72nd and (I5) in Tigard)
I now have several located in my fishing box, truck and Van, range bag and even one in the kitchen, wouldn't leave home without them. Even though I have nearly every tool known to man (and some I specially created) They still are a valuable resource if you are a do it yourselfer sort. The mistake is Leatherman, not the concept.
IMGP0368.JPG IMGP0369.JPG

I like my leatherman wave. Had it for 20+ years and it's still in great shape.
Have had my Leatherman Wave for almost as long. I'm never without it these days, and I'm always using it for something. Heck, today walking the dogs I had to re-attach a barbwire strand to a fence so the dogs wouldn't step on it; took me a minute then we were on our way. Mine was a gift from the Missus way back when and came with a mini flashlight and a holster to accommodate the tool and light. I've since replaced the flashlight with a mini StreamLight that's a bit more powerful.

Have had my Leatherman Wave for almost as long. I'm never without it these days, and I'm always using it for something. Heck, today walking the dogs I had to re-attach a barbwire strand to a fence so the dogs wouldn't step on it; took me a minute then we were on our way. Mine was a gift from the Missus way back when and came with a mini flashlight and a holster to accommodate the tool and light. I've since replaced the flashlight with a mini StreamLight that's a bit more powerful.

Ha! Nice;) Same here. Except I just went with an LED mini mag light on mine.

And ditto on Maintenance from the other post - it has saved me a trip back down off of a roof many many times.

the usefulness of a given design has been a subject of intense observation in my own 'woodsy' outings for over a half-century.
I've come to really like some items & dislike others, and find mostly that is a matter of personal taste.

I prefer the shining virtues of such as
419iQYV5N%2BL.jpg for most actual flesh or 'precision' cutting jobs. I like the handiness of the sharp point. While there is all nature of pros/cons of any knife line, I've come to appreciate many of the Gerber/Buck fixed blade smaller designs. I dislike the 'spear point' illustrated in the article, regardless of its virtues. And I have ample advantages from a decent 1/3 serrated blade of Kershaw's offerings. Most of all I treasure a clutch of smaller custom hammer forged blades a buddy made decades ago.

I much prefer full size axe or pulaski when needed, and have found the advantage of folding pruning saws in the field. Of course an adequate sharpening tool is most desirable at the right time.

A gruff old mountain man showed me how he fully dressed his deer with a small 2 bladed pocket knife, much to my amazement. He too advised keeping a sharp edge.

I prefer a medium-size belt mounted bowie style for camp chores in general.

Finally got around to serious study of the 'multi-tool' offerings & chose a largish Leatherman 'Surge', as the tool platform fits my hands and projected needs. Carried it about the estate for a couple weeks using daily to get familiar with the beast. While not actually cumbersome, it IS rather largish and weighs close to a full pound. I did not become used to belt wear yet keep it handy for all sorts of chores.

Since realizing there ISN'T 'one perfect knife' for all my outdoor needs, seeking out what serves each niche has been most satisfying. I've got a couple favorites that get used only during the garden harvest season, yet are as satisfying as the rest of my users.

Spend some time learning the Art of making the Edge a frequently practiced skill, OP.

0110BRS-B.jpg

Last Edited:

I hear you. We are in much the same situation with our properties. I take an ATV when I'm going a ways from the house. On it are all the proper tools. I carry a full sized axe, a shovel, some chain and rope, and usually a small chain saw on the ATV. In my pocket is a Buck 110 that's been there daily for 30 years. When I hunt I carry a Buck 119 and a Kershaw Alaskan Blade Trader (with utility, bone saw, and skinning blades) attached to my backpack. There's just no substitute for the right tool.

the usefulness of a given design has been a subject of intense observation in my own 'woodsy' outings for over a half-century.
I've come to really like some items & dislike others, and find mostly that is a matter of personal taste.

I prefer the shining virtues of such as
View attachment 398644for most actual flesh or 'precision' cutting jobs. I like the handiness of the sharp point. While there is all nature of pros/cons of any knife line, I've come to appreciate many of the Gerber/Buck fixed blade smaller designs. I dislike the 'spear point' illustrated in the article, regardless of its virtues. And I have ample advantages from a decent 1/3 serrated blade of Kershaw's offerings. Most of all I treasure a clutch of smaller custom hammer forged blades a buddy made decades ago.

I much prefer full size axe or pulaski when needed, and have found the advantage of folding pruning saws in the field. Of course an adequate sharpening tool is most desirable at the right time.

A gruff old mountain man showed me how he fully dressed his deer with a small 2 bladed pocket knife, much to my amazement. He too advised keeping a sharp edge.

I prefer a medium-size belt mounted bowie style for camp chores in general.

Finally got around to serious study of the 'multi-tool' offerings & chose a largish Leatherman 'Surge', as the tool platform fits my hands and projected needs. Carried it about the estate for a could weeks using daily to get familiar with the beast. While not actually cumbersome, it IS rather largish and weighs close to a full pound. I did not become used to belt wear yet keep it handy for all sorts of chores.

Since realizing there ISN'T 'one perfect knife' for all my outdoor needs, seeking out what serves each niche has been most satisfying. I've got a couple favorites that get used only during the garden harvest season, yet are as satisfying as the rest of my users.

Spend some time learning the Art of making the Edge a frequently practiced skill, OP.

View attachment 398643
A Buck 110 has been in my pocket every day for 30 years. Dressed many a deer and other game with it.

A Buck 110 has been in my pocket every day for 30 years. Dressed many a deer and other game with it.
Another Great Idaho company. Between Oregon and Idaho, we make some of the best stuff on the planet. I love my Chris Reeves (Boise) aviator one piece knife. I bought a larger version for my 101st airborne son to use in Iraq, it has become one of his most valued possessions. They are completely made from one steel bar. I don't think he makes them any more.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews