JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Are you prepared to eat insects if needed?

• Yes, I have attempted. It wasnt the best but doable.

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • Yes, I have attempted. Never again.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think I could if I must.

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • No, but hell NO!

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters
Not a big deal, one crunch (or goop) and swallow! Carry some snares etc. cause if you are down to insects you are probably in poor shape. I actually kind of like toasted grasshoppers. Raw not as much. Insects carry bacteria so really try to toast them!

You know, a good chunk of the world's human population depends on insects as their primary source of protein (not meat).

I've eaten plenty of meal worms, grasshoppers, and other critters, mostly as a dare, but I have also taken time to actually learn to appreciate them as an exotic delicacy. Fire roasted grasshoppers, with pan fried garlic, basil and olive oil is actually pretty good.

However, as far as insects to eat... I usually stick to the ones that eat things that I eat... grains, edible plants and the like. I avoid things that eat things that I don't... like wallpaper glue (roaches).

Whatever the situation, you should always cook wild food, not doing so is a good way to get worms, and while a minor nuisance these days, it could be a serious condition in a prolonged emergency.

insects aren't all that frightening. what if you're dying of thirst? are you willing to possibly find a fresh turd from an animal and squeeze out its fluid so you can survive for another day? bear grylls did it! yeah, so it was an elephant turd. so what?

Last edited by a moderator:
I kill pests for a living.
People may say they'd never eat an insect but once you've worked with them enough they do become less "creepy" or "gross", especially when you're starving I think most folks would change their minds.
You've all heard me state that I'd eat people if it came down to it.. bugs wouldn't be a big deal at all.

When I went through USAF Survival School, we had about eating bugs. Grasshoppers taste like..... followed by grubs, ant tea, etc. as the lecturer equated bugs to food we were familiar with.

I remember exactly the next part. "Spiders? Spiders have a taste all of their own."

insects aren't all that frightening. what if you're dying of thirst? are you willing to possibly find a fresh turd from an animal and squeeze out its fluid so you can survive for another day? bear grylls did it! yeah, so it was an elephant turd. so what?

sunisgoing.png

Last edited by a moderator:
IDK... I prefer the bigger insects or reptiles. If its smaller or slimmy it gets to be harder for me. Pan frying them with seasoning would be nice... most of the time if I do eat them its pick them up and pop them in.

My dad was in the navy during WWII.
He used to tell me stories, one of which was insects in food. He used to say "The first few months, you would try and wave them away, The next few months you stopped caring and if they landed in your food, you still eat it, the months that followed we would swat them INTO the food for the extra flavoring".

I don't know if it was true or not, but he told me that story when we were camping, more than once. :)

The average person eats POUNDS of insects, feces, and other wonderful tidbits every year. You just don't see it. Not that big of a deal. For desert, you have insecticide laced foods.

The sad thing is the sickest I've been (not sick like the kiddies say, but ill) was this spring when I was eating organic vegetables. Something very bad was in them and set up shop inside me. You can't win for trying.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top