Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Eating Insects? Not a place for the weak

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Torqk911, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Torqk911

Torqk911 Yacolt,Wa Member

Please think about this seriously.

I personally have eaten insects on many occasions will back packing through the wilderness when hungry. Part of my family training in the woods.

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not a big deal, one crunch (or goop) and swallow! Carry some snares etc. cause if you are down to insects you are probably in poor shape. I actually kind of like toasted grasshoppers. Raw not as much. Insects carry bacteria so really try to toast them!

3. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

Does this include the ones that get stuck in your teeth while you're grinning as you are biking through a wooded area?

Mutoman and (deleted member) like this.
  4. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

You know, a good chunk of the world's human population depends on insects as their primary source of protein (not meat).

I've eaten plenty of meal worms, grasshoppers, and other critters, mostly as a dare, but I have also taken time to actually learn to appreciate them as an exotic delicacy. Fire roasted grasshoppers, with pan fried garlic, basil and olive oil is actually pretty good.

However, as far as insects to eat... I usually stick to the ones that eat things that I eat... grains, edible plants and the like. I avoid things that eat things that I don't... like wallpaper glue (roaches).

Whatever the situation, you should always cook wild food, not doing so is a good way to get worms, and while a minor nuisance these days, it could be a serious condition in a prolonged emergency.

5. Cortes

Cortes Tualatin Active Member

I already eat them regularly when I eat processed food. There's all kinds of bug parts in any factory made food.

6. Cuthbert Allgood

Cuthbert Allgood Clark County, WA Well-Known Member

insects aren't all that frightening. what if you're dying of thirst? are you willing to possibly find a fresh turd from an animal and squeeze out its fluid so you can survive for another day? bear grylls did it! yeah, so it was an elephant turd. so what?

[video=youtube;R25Eflr0oJ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R25Eflr0oJ8[/video]

7. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

you do have to remember to roast them if you can. I have heard alot of stories of people getting tapeworm from eating bugs.

8. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Bug parts, mouse droppings and the lord knows what else.

9. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

I kill pests for a living.
    People may say they'd never eat an insect but once you've worked with them enough they do become less "creepy" or "gross", especially when you're starving I think most folks would change their minds.
    You've all heard me state that I'd eat people if it came down to it.. bugs wouldn't be a big deal at all.

JGRuby and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Bernoulli

Bernoulli Guest

When I went through USAF Survival School, we had about eating bugs. Grasshoppers taste like..... followed by grubs, ant tea, etc. as the lecturer equated bugs to food we were familiar with.

I remember exactly the next part. "Spiders? Spiders have a taste all of their own."

11. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

sunisgoing.png

sunisgoing.png

12. Torqk911

Torqk911 Yacolt,Wa Member

IDK... I prefer the bigger insects or reptiles. If its smaller or slimmy it gets to be harder for me. Pan frying them with seasoning would be nice... most of the time if I do eat them its pick them up and pop them in.

13. getreadyportland

getreadyportland Portland, Oregon, United States Member

Hunger.. the ultimate motivator.. People will do a LOT of out of character things when hungry, steal, kill, cannibalize.. I don't think insects would be that offensive when faced with potential starvation..

14. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

My dad was in the navy during WWII.
    He used to tell me stories, one of which was insects in food. He used to say "The first few months, you would try and wave them away, The next few months you stopped caring and if they landed in your food, you still eat it, the months that followed we would swat them INTO the food for the extra flavoring".

I don't know if it was true or not, but he told me that story when we were camping, more than once. :)

15. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

The average person eats POUNDS of insects, feces, and other wonderful tidbits every year. You just don't see it. Not that big of a deal. For desert, you have insecticide laced foods.

The sad thing is the sickest I've been (not sick like the kiddies say, but ill) was this spring when I was eating organic vegetables. Something very bad was in them and set up shop inside me. You can't win for trying.

16. Max19

Max19 USA New Member

Really nice talking about eating insects, and also really nice above comments, guys, i also want to say something about it, I already eat them consistently when I eat prepared meals. There's all types of bug areas in any manufacturer created meals...

commercial restaurant equipment