JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

Looking to build a precision rifle off of a Rem 700 action from pretty much the ground up.

Will be replacing the barrel, stock, trigger, and plan on adding a DBM system.

What's my best bet on getting a 700 action in stainless? Try to luck my way into a full donor rifle?

Is it cheaper and feasible to find an individual action for sale somewhere?

Been mulling over this idea for a while now, but still don't know exactly what cartridge to go with: either a .280 Rem AI or a 7mm WSM or SAUM (the possibility of fitting a SAUM into a .308 sized AICS mag is interesting).

For a bare 700 action can always try NW Actionworks if a smith hasn't already been selected:

nwaw-1

Most of the work that will need to be done will already be done...they did have a group buy that just expired, unfortunately.

Or try a Stiller or similar 700 clone action: for the amount of money invested to accurize an action, the reach for a custom clone isn't that much more.

All the Remington actions I've seen for sale seem to cost more than a Remington rifle. I would look for a Remington model 700 in the classified section here on NW Firearms. I think that would be the cheapest way to get into a stock Remington action.

For a bare 700 action can always try NW Actionworks if a smith hasn't already been selected:

nwaw-1

Most of the work that will need to be done will already be done...they did have a group buy that just expired, unfortunately.

Or try a Stiller or similar 700 clone action: for the amount of money invested to accurize an action, the reach for a custom clone isn't that much more.

Well that's certainly interesting. Thanks for the link.

Are you looking at 500 yard gun 1000 yard gun? I have been looking at another 700 build myself. I have looked at aftermarket actions they all cost 600 at least. Throw in all the other stuff and you are looking at 2500 easy. Then there are the optics:s0114: I think it all comes down to what you want out of the rifle.

I have really been looking at the Remington 700 SPS Varminter Remington 700 308 Win, Special Purpose Synthetic Varmint/26" Heavy Barrel - Impact Guns 308 heavy barrel and the local stores have it for about 610 to 620. Also Remington has a 40 dollar rebate right now.

I guess if money was not an issue I would build one from the ground up with all the goodies. But being on a budget a factory rifle that will shoot while I can get all the other neat stuff lined up is the way I might have to go.

Good luck on your build!

Seriously before actually committing to a Rem, check out the work Savage is doing on their rifles, it is remarkably good (bang for buck, literally) and flies in the face of the old reputation Savages once had (as being kind of "meh" guns.)

Another thing, I am spooked by the Remington 700 accidental discharge triggers, though they might have fixed those by now (?) it bugs me that they knew about it for so many years and did nothing over a few cents' worth of parts.

Buy a Stainless Savage and do the conversion yourself, newer Rems are no more than a copy of the Savage

Buy a Stainless Savage and do the conversion yourself, newer Rems are no more than a copy of the Savage
What is different about "newer" 700's versus older ones? I know the first year receivers have a stripper clip slot and a flat safety but cant figure how the "newer" ones are like a savage?

FWIW, I agree that Savage rifles can be a great bang for the buck and would give them a serious thought.

Another thing, I am spooked by the Remington 700 accidental discharge triggers, though they might have fixed those by now (?) it bugs me that they knew about it for so many years and did nothing over a few cents' worth of parts.

This was only when people started messing with them as far as I know. The latest "X" pro or whatever is even worse than a older factory trigger. With a older "non-adjustable" trigger a decent smith could make a pretty nice trigger out of them, I still prefer a quality replacement.

Remington's new budget gun is a "savage clone" using barrel nut.
The current Rem issues are a lot of QC issues- scope and action holes; both alignment and distance. As well as finish issues and more.
If it were me- pick up a cheap barreled action and send to Long Rifles Inc for their GB build up.

Here's how you make a custom rifle...:D

<broken link removed>

Jim was asked to take a stock model 70 and make a sister .358 rifle to an existing, very elaborately customized .375 H&H. The gallery has some real interesting pictures.

Unless you want to get that stainless look for aesthetics I would avoid it. With modern coatings, even Krylon/enamel one can get a great durable look
PS Savages are an equal rifle and the new Rems are built with the same tubular receivers

I would seriously consider a custom action. Why buy a bunch of junk that you are not going to use? The initial up front cost on the custom will even out when you consider all the work it takes to get a Remington anywhere near the tolerances of a Stiller.

Later on, the pride of ownership will be better with a custom than fixing up a factory action.

Boy! Lots of advice here, but ya better pick and choose.

Something about Rem 700 actions being just like a Savage? Huh?

I will say Savage is tracking with cleaning up their act in the accuracy department (but they never had much to be ashamed of in my experience). Their "ugly and cheap-looking" guns always shot right with (and sometimes better) than my Rem 700's.

As a 700 freak, If I were looking to go "ground up", I'd find the doggiest, cheapest 700 stainless rifle I could buy, trash and strip it for the action. Cheaper by far than ordering an action only from Brownell's. However, in truth if it were me, I'd look for a Titanium action to go "ground up" with: damn the price, full steam ahead. My greatest regret is passing up a Titanium short-action on a gun-dealer table last year. Price was equivalent to a full and complete 700 rifle (600 plus). Still, that would have been a "project" to please the Gods.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top