JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How does an environment cope with the few idiot individuals who seem to populate our society? The answer is that it can not. We have a wildfire potential not of our own making. Mother nature provides us with a beautiful place to live. Unfortunately, what nature gives, nature can take away.

Now we have the people aspect. What do we do as a civilized society with young individuals such as the kid caught allegedly starting that fire using illegal fireworks in the woods? Do we just up and shoot him? His entire family? His entire line? All his friends? All of their families? What can we do?

What will we do? A very sad situation. There MUST be accountability. If not, this sort of thing will continue. My greatest fear is that enemies of our great nation will start this. Terrorist acts. We have been told to expect the same smoky air conditions until the first Monsoon rains of late fall. Shiet.

In a LOT of cultures 12-13 years old is the age of "reasoning" and adult-level accountability (and consequences).

o_O

I have spent a good portion of my life in the National Forests. When I was much younger, and logging was a huge resource in the forests, the forests were managed differently. There was not the underbrush that has now invaded, and there were logging roads just about everywhere. A small fire could be attacked with a tender or tanker. The roads have been allowed to grow over, and there is just very poor access to the places I used to frequent, and there's very little underbrush control or tree thinning. A small fire cannot be attacked when it's incipient, so it grows until winter comes. When it grows too fast, it's too late, and aerial attack is one of the few tools we have to now fight or stop the fires spread. There's just not enough aerial tankers to go around, and not enough wildland fire fighters. We've got a huge mess.

So the tree huggers...Are they proud that they made this happen to the forests?

Last Edited:
Would not the adolescent perp and family and or others be held responsible?

How does an environment cope with the few idiot individuals who seem to populate our society? The answer is that it can not. We have a wildfire potential not of our own making. Mother nature provides us with a beautiful place to live. Unfortunately, what nature gives, nature can take away.

Now we have the people aspect. What do we do as a civilized society with young individuals such as the kid caught allegedly starting that fire using illegal fireworks in the woods? Do we just up and shoot him? His entire family? His entire line? All his friends? All of their families? What can we do?

What will we do? A very sad situation. There MUST be accountability. If not, this sort of thing will continue. My greatest fear is that enemies of our great nation will start this. Terrorist acts. We have been told to expect the same smoky air conditions until the first Monsoon rains of late fall. Shiet.

@tkdguy, Yes they will probably be held responsible, but to what end?? If you take everything they have and everything they will ever have it probably won't cover the cost of the aircraft fighting the fire, let alone any real restitution.

@HB of CJ, I have asked myself that same question many times; what to do for accountability?? Right now up and shooting him seems like a good idea, but not really a PC option.
A completely different case than a terrorist act. In that case get a short rope and a tall tree and be done with it. This is merely a case of someone being stupid. Rehabilitation is pointless. By now he knows what he did is wrong and probably isn't likely to do it again. Punishment may be called for, but what?? Financial?? Not sure what would be served by impoverishing him or his family. Jail?? Teach him how to be a real criminal. Corporal?? A good azz-whupping might make somebody feel better, but won't change anything. Capital?? Probably not really that serious of an offense.

Such are the problems of a "civilized" society.

IMG_6065.JPG IMG_6067.JPG IMG_6068.JPG IMG_6069.JPG If you want to see poor visiblity then go to Grants Pass. We just got back from the long weekend staying at Valley of the Rogue State Park and when we woke up this morning everything had a light coating of ash on it. We came around the corner on I-5 at exit 55 at 10:45 this morning and you couldn't even see the town from the freeway it was so bad. I figured by the time we got to Albany things would clear up and it would be blue skies, but no same old haze all the way from outside of Azelea to home.
The pictures are from yesterday afternoon

It is pretty bad in the Illinois Valley also. South of Grants Pass. Ash on the ground, on cars, in trees. One can actually see it coming down like light gray snow. Some big flakes. In the 30 years I have lived here, never seen it this bad for this long. :(

Fortunately our A/C has a good rinseable HEPA type filter element. Still some fine grit inside the windows which are supposed to be sealed double pane. Vacuum time. Even Lenix Mint 17.1 spell check is acting strange today. Time for a good nap! :)

No matter how much fun one has trying to line up perfectly each paragraph length perfectly when redisplayed each time it is different. Go figure that one out. Computer ills?

Hopefully if that pos kid's parents don't beat his anus the neighborhood kids do.

I hope they charge his parents and make them pay back the state for the damages.

It's getting really ashy up here in vancouver

Yup, been dusting my car with ash all day. I actually had planned on washing it today, but nope. We REALLY need a good rain.

Our sun looks like a red rubber ball.and the air is not good out here
I hope the kid that did this is remorseful for what he did. Pushing an additional family into poverty is not helping any of us out. I remember the stuff I did as a kid and was lucky my parents did not kill me.

I worked outdoors all day and watched things get increasingly worse. I didn't notice any ash in the air earlier, but its there now.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR