JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sell a lower that was manufactured as a rifle:

No one bats an eye.

Post a picture of a pistol you built out a 10/22 receiver you bought as a receiver:

Everybody loses there mind!

But if the OP bought the firearm as complete, his 4473 would be recorded as a rifle. Even though his name would have been strucked out by now (5 yrs?) the serial no. shouldn't. Separate it and try transferring it as an 'other' may trigger warnings and delays.

But if the OP bought the firearm as complete, his 4473 would be recorded as a rifle. Even though his name would have been strucked out by now (5 yrs?) the serial no. shouldn't. Separate it and try transferring it as an 'other' may trigger warnings and delays.
No....not at all. Ar rifles are like legos. They all mostly fit together. Its very common to sell just the upper or lower just to change things up or upgrade.

To my understanding, if it was manufactured as a rifle and sold that way, it is a rifle even in receiver form. The only reason people split these AR guns up is to avoid the semi auto rifle waiting period per WA state laws.
I had a person who wanted to do an AR transfer(buy my AR rifle) by splitting the upper and "sell" the lower but I didn't allow it as it didn't seem right to me knowing it was a complete rifle, not a receiver on its own. I understand the bubblegum waiting periods with semi automatic rifles, but I just didn't want any potential blowback and to preserve my sanity I guess.

To my understanding, if it was manufactured as a rifle and sold that way, it is a rifle even in receiver form. The only reason people split these AR guns up is to avoid the semi auto rifle waiting period per WA state laws.
I had a person who wanted to do an AR transfer(buy my AR rifle) by splitting the upper and "sell" the lower but I didn't allow it as it didn't seem right to me knowing it was a complete rifle, not a receiver on its own. I understand the bubblegum waiting periods with semi automatic rifles, but I just didn't want any potential blowback and to preserve my sanity I guess.
Some of us dont like the new laws my friend.....I have not purchased a Semi-auto in this state due to the laws. Not that I can not, have bought bolt guns and etcetera.....Just not putting my name on the registry.....

The atf has shipping containers full of 4473's, all waiting to be processed. All from out of business gun shops. Current ffl's hang onto them until hell freezes over or they too go under.
just saying

Doesn't washington still allow stripped lowers to be sold without the extra wait? If so, I'd imagine he thinks all lowers allow for that and is trying to get a complete, functional rifle without the additional red tape. I think there was a previous, somewhat heated thread on a dealer doing this very thing?

My understanding is that if you buy just the lower it is labeled as a other. But you have to buy it new that way. If you buy one from a guy on the forum and it was registered as a rifle then it has to always be a rifle and same with pistol form.

From everything I've heard in the web (take that with a grain of salt) is that if it was manufactured as a rifle and sold that way, it is a rifle even in receiver form.

If a person bought it from you as a receiver and built it into a pistol...

Would they be breaking the law?

So many laws!:s0092:
Good luck finding a FFL who will transfer a lower receiver as a rifle. If you know of one please post it here.

If it comes to the dealer as a frame, it will be transferred as a frame. If it comes as a rifle, it will be transferred as a rifle. If its a rifle, you inform me that its a rifle but want it transferred as a lower...no, that's illegal. If you break it apart, specifically to avoid 1639 regulations or other statutory regulations, then the seller is violating the law because of the intent of the actions is to avoid a legal requirement.

If it comes to the dealer as a frame, it will be transferred as a frame. If it comes as a rifle, it will be transferred as a rifle. If its a rifle, you inform me that its a rifle but want it transferred as a lower...no, that's illegal. If you break it apart, specifically to avoid 1639 regulations or other statutory regulations, then the seller is violating the law because of the intent of the actions is to avoid a legal requirement.

Thank you, that was the answer I was looking for. I appreciate your input.

You said "If its a rifle, you inform me that its a rifle but want it transferred as a lower...no, that's illegal."

Why wouldn't you transfer the "rifle" receiver as a rifle then?

How would you transfer this 1903 action which came from a rifle?

wm_8043829.jpg

After discussing all the info I gathered from you guys we decided not to complete the sale. Not trying to risk my gun rights on a questionable sale. Thanks ..you guys are awesome.

You said "If its a rifle, you inform me that its a rifle but want it transferred as a lower...no, that's illegal."

Why wouldn't you transfer the "rifle" receiver as a rifle then?

How would you transfer this 1903 action which came from a rifle?

View attachment 711361

At the time presented to me, that's a receiver. Period. We have no obligation (nor ability) to validate the history of the item.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top