JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Century built the C308s, Century built isn't good. Same applies to CAI built FALs. Except the ones with Imbel receivers at least have good receivers.

That aside, my STG58 doesn't do so bad for an "inaccurate" rifle with a Hensoldt ZF4.
I thought DSA was the ONLY current builder of FALs ;) Or did you mean that as the only worth spending money on?

The FAL is a premier .308 battle rifle. The trivial extra weight over a AR15 is irrelevant unless you actually plan to go on long fully encumbered rucks with the thing. Accuracy is accurate enough. Not designed for tack driving.

I like the sights, the adjustable gas system, and the left side non-reciprocating charging handle. Some don't like the aggressive grip angle, but that can be replaced. And the furniture can be replaced too for different styles/weights.

All in all, hard to go wrong with an FAL, as long as you get a good one. Do your homework so you know what you're getting.

The FAL is a premier .308 battle rifle. The trivial extra weight over a AR15 is irrelevant unless you actually plan to go on long fully encumbered rucks with the thing. Accuracy is accurate enough. Not designed for tack driving.

I like the sights, the adjustable gas system, and the left side non-reciprocating charging handle. Some don't like the aggressive grip angle, but that can be replaced. And the furniture can be replaced too for different styles/weights.

All in all, hard to go wrong with an FAL, as long as you get a good one. Do your homework so you know what you're getting.
If I had to have one .308 NON-AR rifle and only one, would you say that the FAL would be it?

If I had to have one .308 NON-AR rifle and only one, would you say that the FAL would be it?

It depends on many things and needs. If you are a shoestring budget and want a inexpensive rifle, look into the $500 C308 with $1.50 magazines. If fund are unlimited and you could pour many thousands of dollars into a SCAR.... Or do you want all the latest attachments that a AR10 allows for? If long range precision is necessary, opt for a bolt action.

For me - In the ~$1500 +/- range, a M1A or FAL are IMO the best semi-auto .308 battle rifles with actual global track records - the first being based on the venerable M1 Garand and the second being used by 90 or so nations for decades. Hard to argue with that IMO.

It depends on many things and needs. If you are a shoestring budget and want a inexpensive rifle, look into the $500 C308 with $1.50 magazines. If fund are unlimited and you could pour many thousands of dollars into a SCAR.... Or do you want all the latest attachments that a AR10 allows for? If long range precision is necessary, opt for a bolt action.

For me - In the ~$1500 +/- range, a M1A or FAL are IMO the best semi-auto .308 battle rifles with actual global track records - the first being based on the venerable M1 Garand and the second being used by 90 or so nations for decades. Hard to argue with that IMO.
I wasn't impressed with the build quality of the C308 I shot and would prefer to spend more than that and get something reliable but definitely can't afford a SCAR. I have a bolt action Howa 6.5 creedmoor that gives me the opportunity to shoot longer distances but I'm realizing that I'd like something with more punch to hit targets at 300-500 yards.

While a good quality AR would suit my needs, I've just decided it would be nice to have something a little different. If I went AR I'd consider a piston PWS more than likely but that's pushing my budget a bit

I want it. I greatly enjoy building AR platform rifles but it's grown a bit stale to me and I feel I need to take a break. There are a few reasons I like the FAL..
- 7.62 x 51 cartridge is incredibly fun to shoot
- Tried and true platform
- Adjustable gas piston system
- Reasonable accuracy with quality ammo
The version I'm looking at runs about $2,300 on their site. I'd probably have to sell of a gun or two to make this happen... It seems DS arms is the most respected FAL manufacturer currently making them...

DSA SA58 Improved Battle Carbine - 16" Fluted Tactical Barrel, BRS Folding Stock - DS Arms

My question. Is it worth it? Is there anything I should be aware of should I actually decide to go forward with purchasing?
That's a lot of money for a rifle that is bound to drop in price before going up. I own a STG 58 and it'd great but at $2300 I'd wait for a better deal. 2X AR10's for that price..

I had a STG58 put together by a smith on an Imbel after that I assembled four more all inch on DSA type ll recvrs
None were as accurate as the next M1A I built on a Springfield. I shot a group at 200 yards with iron sights (5 in 2 1/4") I never could have done that with the FALs.
They were fun to shoot "thump a thumpa "
An AR 10 Creedmore that weighs 5.58lbs is more interesting today, hell you could get in those days 1000 rounds for $99 free shipping from Aim to your door.
Sold all my FAL stuff, but they were fun to put together.

I had a STG58 put together by a smith on an Imbel after that I assembled four more all inch on DSA type ll recvrs
None were as accurate as the next M1A I built on a Springfield. I shot a group at 200 yards with iron sights (5 in 2 1/4") I never could have done that with the FALs.
They were fun to shoot "thump a thumpa "
An AR 10 Creedmore that weighs 5.58lbs is more interesting today, hell you could get in those days 1000 rounds for $99 free shipping from Aim to your door.
Sold all my FAL stuff, but they were fun to put together.

This is my dilemma. Guns have evolved quite a bit over the decades. The AR seems to be the pinnacle of that evolution. So much so that other platforms are borrowing its features. Ergonomics, accessories, accuracy, and even durability are all features the AR can offer. For the most part, I feel the evolution of the AR has happened along the 5.56 caliber and is just now starting to branch out. I've always just felt the AR was suited for 5.56.....and when I think of .308 I always think of battle rifles or bolt action guns. There's no good reason for me not to just get into building a sweet .308 AR....other than MY preconceptions.

I had a DSA 16" barrel . It came with the world's cheesiest sights as determined by at least 90 countries. Yet I set the sights at 600 meters and whacked a life size coyote gong. I loved that rifle and miss it but in the end it is not worth the money. I now have a Smith and Wesson MP10 16" barrel . Better and more functional for me. Way cheaper at $800. That's what I paid for the DSA over 20 years ago.

I'm always gonna prefer my FAL over the AR-10. But then again, cold war steel just feels better than soulless aluminum to me.

I'd want a M14 and a PTR91 before an AR10. Maybe if there was an AR10 like the original...

Last Edited:
jcon268; try an ARP 15 6.8spcll . The same guy who put together the 5.58lb Creed had also first got his 6.8 down to the mid 3 lb. range.
He weighs parts in grams. Lots of Ti and polymer and carbon fiber.
He also uses brakes, cause at 3.50 lbs a 6.8 spcll will rock.

jcon268; try an ARP 15 6.8spcll . The same guy who put together the 5.58lb Creed had also first got his 6.8 down to the mid 3 lb. range.
He weighs parts in grams. Lots of Ti and polymer and carbon fiber.
He also uses brakes, cause at 3.50 lbs a 6.8 spcll will rock.
I'm looking for something in .308/7.62 NATO because in a SHTF situation, that's one of the most prevalent cartridges. I haven't yet gotten to reloading either.

WTS OR - FAL - Austrian STG58 on DS36XXX series receiver
If you could pick this STG58 up for a couple hundred less than current asking you'd be in it right and have a rifle that will appreciate.
That's a great rifle and I've been eyeing it for quite some time. Ultimately, I'd like to have something that has a folding stock and mount for an optic should I feel the need. That conversion could be made but I don't think converting it is the way to go. That gun should stay as is, IMO.

Conversion to folding stock is as simple as just replacing the trigger housing, bolt carrier, and top cover.

DSA and ARMS scope mounts are both good to go for scopes. But DSA would be better folding stocks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top