JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
google is your friend

I'm not interested in metric mags which don't work in inch gun. But thanks for looking.

I would be wary of any magazine that claims to fit both metric and inch. I used to hear all the time that you could use metric FAL magazines in inch L1A1 guns, but in my experience it just isn't so.

The front lug on an FAL mag is just a little punched out nub, whereas the L1A1 front lug is much larger. The FAL mag physically fits in the L1A1 receiver, but hangs loose, causing jams. I imagine you could 3D print a polymer lug and epoxy it over the front lug on a polymer FAL magazine. Maybe that could work, at least for a little while.

Aftermarket magazines for the FAL are not very good, unfortunately. Even the ones made by DS Arms for their own SA58 are awful. Maybe this is better w/ inch pattern mags, I only have experience w/ metric.

Zastava was smart when they re-issued the M77 by building all new steel mags in the USA. I wish more companies would do this.

I had one of these fitted to my cetme

Guess metric is no good...

Gunbroker has some

Last Edited:
I guess you have not tried a metric military magazine in your inch pattern FAL? They feed fine in my Lithgow. They shove straight in and pretty well lock in place.
Some insist metric mags work fine in inch guns, and some say they don't. Since my last post, I read up on the subject numerous places online. Apparently they're both right, because it seems to be an individual gun thing, with minor dimensional differences between guns and mags.

I can tell you for certain that surplus metric mags absolutely do not work reliably in my inch-pattern rifle (Imbel receiver). If they work well in your rifle, that's great. I picked up several inch mags a couple decades ago when I found some beat-up surplus ones for $5 each. They work great, and half a dozen is a lifetime supply for me.

Last Edited:
Metric mags usually works in inch pattern mag wells. It is the other way around that does not work. I have a repost up that shows why this is the case;

I can verify that the ProMag FAL mags fit in my inch pattern receiver.

CETME/G3 mags will not work in a FAL. Their mag latching mechanism is an inny, not an outy. I am not sure how @billdeserthills got that to work, but it would have to be a custom job?

Metric mags usually works in inch pattern mag wells. It is the other way around that does not work. I have a repost up that shows why this is the case;

I can verify that the ProMag FAL mags fit in my inch pattern receiver.

CETME/G3 mags will not work in a FAL. Their mag latching mechanism is an inny, not an outy. I am not sure how @billdeserthills got that to work, but it would have to be a custom job?
It was most definitely a custom job by Glockmonger. I never saw anyone who could do so much with so little for such a low price

It was most definitely a custom job by Glockmonger. I never saw anyone who could do so much with so little for such a low price
That seems like it would be quite the job. At first I was thinking all you would need to do would be to grind a hole into the front, but now that I look at both mags the feed lips are different, the back tabs are in totally different locations and the mags are not even the same width where the interface with the mag well. Did he just cut off the top of a CETME mag and solder it to the drum body?

It looks like he filed part of the drum mag away, until it clicked into place--I know the first time I tried the magazine for function, the CETME fired one shot and the drum fell out. Glockmonger was standing there when it happened. He took the gun & mag back to his shop and adjusted the mag some more

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top