JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No intended purpose was stated by the OP; Like Jon268 I'd say avoid a 16" .308 and stay with 18" for compact or 21" if you prefer a long range shooter. Same deal with the para folding stock version. They're neat and all but doubtful you'll be doing house clearing or CQB work with a 308 - besides you said you have AR(s).

I never plan to sell my older 18" SA58.

But got intrigued when they recently introduced the Voyager version on sale (but out of stock most everywhere) for a grand. https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/dsa-fal-sa58-rifle-voyager-18

That's right - about $1,000 vs. the $2,300 you're looking at. If it were me, I'd get on a backorder list for one of these and drop in the upgraded rear sight and extended safety that DSA make and sell for an extra $100 or so. Spend the rest on mags and ammo.

Besides, you can convert to a para / folder later - but this way you find out whether you did the platform or not.

edit: the DSA FAL 21" Voyager is in stock at Atlantic
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/ds-arms-fal-sa58-rifle-21-premium-threaded-barrel
Awesome thanks! This whole .308 kick for me started when I went to the range last week and a guy let me shoot his Century C308.
I would like something that will eat cheaper ammo if I can get it. Basically something very reliable that can take some abuse but will function well. With my ARs, everything I've built has been with top grade components and I've never had any issues with function - I'd like something similar with whatever .308 I go with.

BTW, I enjoy the M1A platform too, but it's really a sort of different beast. Quite spendy to modify and accurize but more accurate when you do - but like crazy extra spendy. If I were going into any SHTF situation, I'd grab my FAL before my M1A in a heartbeat. FALs should shoot most anything, like an HK91/clone. M1As are particular.
FYI, if you reload, FALs don't chew up brass the way HK91 types do.

And I'd buy 5 or 6 of these with the money saved
Hirtenberger 7.62x51 NATO / .308 147 gr, Brass, Boxer, Reloadable, Non Corrosive, Lead Core Ammo - 360rd Battle Pack - Centerfire Rifle Ammo - Ammunition
Hirtenberger 7.62x51 NATO / .308 147 gr, Brass, Non Corrosive, Lead Core Ammo - 360rd Battle Pack

Get the 21" Voyager, with the (optional) improved rear sight and safety as mentioned, you can get an optional check weld adjustable stock too, if desired - and have fun!

For less than the model asked about.
I don't do railed forends/lighting accessories on my FAL, keep that stuff on the ARs.

Last Edited:
If you don't mind me asking, who is the "us" you are referring to and for what purpose are they a tool? Do you find that a piston system is more reliable than a DI for this purpose?

I've always tended to fall on the side of spend more up front, save in the long run (instead of rebuying later). I can find a way to make up the money difference. Then again I'm only buying one and not supplying a crew.

Family & friends (if the need arises).

As I mention though, get one if that's what you want. "Need" doesn't play in too much, particularly if it's just for yourself.

PTR91's have been very reliable, zero issues. Slight issues with a century CETME, and had a member here do some work on it making it reliable-traded it off. Now I could probably work out problems if they arise. Same roller block type system.

...and another +1 for Hirtenberger surplus. Downside is most of it is berdan primed, not reloadable without a bunch of extra (time consuming/not worthwhile) steps.

As I mention though, get one if that's what you want. "Need" doesn't play in too much, particularly if it's just for yourself.

PTR91's have been very reliable, zero issues. Slight issues with a century CETME, and had a member here do some work on it making it reliable-traded it off. Now I could probably work out problems if they arise. Same roller block type system.

...and another +1 for Hirtenberger surplus. Downside is most of it is berdan primed, not reloadable without a bunch of extra (time consuming/not worthwhile) steps.

Yes I had to use Rcbs's awesome customer service the other day when a Berdan primed suplus case snuck in a batch of Lake city brass I was sizing. It is too bad it isn't all boxer primed as it is great looking brass.

STG-58, Izzy.
Damn, my STG was pretty accurate. My Imbel still needs to be built.
Awesome thanks! This whole .308 kick for me started when I went to the range last week and a guy let me shoot his Century C308.
I would like something that will eat cheaper ammo if I can get it. Basically something very reliable that can take some abuse but will function well. With my ARs, everything I've built has been with top grade components and I've never had any issues with function - I'd like something similar with whatever .308 I go with.
The only thing with FALs is that its advised to stick to brass.
Besides, you can convert to a para / folder later - but this way you find out whether you dig the platform or not.
Only thing is he'll need a new bolt carrier, top cover, and trigger housing. Not really hard to do, extremely easy actually, just something to consider.

Also, those stocks are known to be beard pinchers.

The DSA is a cast receiver. The issue is DSA has a lack of QC with their receivers. In addition to the fact they always said they were good because they were the only ones doing forged while the competition did cast. Now their cast.

Something like this?

PTR 91 CR 308WIN 18

I just ran into an issue on a brace I have that would rip my beard out. Fixed with some epoxy.
Its just the way the stock is designed.

D70CD792-062A-4C16-B178-A8F058EA8780.jpeg

Which of these will shoot the best suppressed? Something like the FAL with a piston? Or a PTR91?

No first hand exp running PTR91's suppressed, my understanding however, is that it seems challenging. You have to fiddle with various locking bolts inside the roller block to get it to where it'll unlock. Doesn't seem reliable. Again though, just from the brief bits I've read.

No first hand exp running PTR91's suppressed, my understanding however, is that it seems challenging. You have to fiddle with various locking bolts inside the roller block to get it to where it'll unlock. Doesn't seem reliable. Again though, just from the brief bits I've read.
I figured having an adjustable piston would make suppressed shooting an easier task. I'd love to throw my Sandman S on one when I get it.

I'm reading the newer Galil rifles are hard on brass and actually function well with steel cased ammo. Any thoughts on that?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top