JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, pretend your dream rifle in the whole entire world magically appeared next to you for you to find when you woke up in the morning. But there was no optic on the rifle (just flip-up irons). Instead there was just a little coupon and it said, "free optic (and rig if applicable) of your choosing." But it's in the future a little bit, so you can slightly tweak or fix things about your favorite model that you don't like about it now.

Which is good, because you know things are getting progressively worse and who knows when you could ever get a new rifle/optic. A lifetime warranty isn't very useful when the company is on the other side of the country and may or may not be in business anymore.

You go to the website and it has every single model of optic and rig setup imaginable. Which would you choose?

After looking at all of the optics for a very long time, I decided on a 1x Holosun 503G Micro Dot the Primary Arms ACSS Reticle. It has a "horseshoe" reticle for CQB and several indicators for ranges. Then behind that, a Primary Arms 3x magnifier with a flip mount for when I'm in close quarters and need it out of the way.

The idea behind the rig being long-use without being able to get new batteries. The battery life lasts a really long time. The reticle "wakes up" whenever it gets bumped, and will stay on for 2-8 hours. The rig is rugged, and I can't use scopes worth crap, so this's the closest I could ever get to a ranged setup.

I noticed that Holosun has made some improvements. The battery department is easier to get to, and they've found a way to put solar panels on this model so the battery essentially lasts forever. I do wonder how well it's going to work in the PNW where there's only sun three months out of the year, but oh well! It's the thought that counts. Also, Primary Arms made an update to their magnifier, where the caps are actually tethered to the mount now, so they don't go flying off if they get unscrewed in the field.

I mash the buy-it-now button and overnight delivery. It takes 2 days anyway, but oh well! I'm just happy to get it and set it up. I feel much better now.

What would you guys pick? I spent like two hours looking for mine. It's nowhere near as easy as I thought it would be. Thanks for playing along. It's these little exercises I do to learn and get comfortable with tons of equipment I don't know about.

Thanks again! I really can't wait to hear other people's!

I would want my 20 year old 20/15 eyes.

They was real handy. :D

I hear you. I know there's quite a few people that're working on getting their eyes fixed up in preparation. It makes a lot of sense when you think about the fact that glasses get progressively less effective through time. Then there's the fact that getting multiple pairs through insurance is a pain without a lot of planning. (Getting a new pair every year through insurance just because you can.) But then do you get every-other-pair as sunglasses instead. Certain materials in sunglasses wear down faster if you're getting a more sporty style. What a pain!

A lot easier to get your eyes fixed then focus on quality eyepro... then it's a hell of a lot easier to look through optics. Man oh man. :( Yeah, if I could magically fix my eyes, that'd be awesome. Thankfully there are a lot of optics and binos on the market now that don't get hosed up with glasses.

Good old fashioned "iron" peep sights for me.
For the rifle in the OP the standard sights on the M16A1-A2 series worked just fine for me , through four combat tours.
That said I did use a M21 at times and that had a scope...

But for most of my shooting nowadays a good old fashioned semi buckhorn rear sight with a wide notch and a front sight made of nickel or a peep of some sort works just fine.
Andy

Last Edited:
Good old fashioned "iron" peep sights for me.
For the rifle in the OP the standard sights on the M16A1-A2 series worked just fine for me , through four combat tours.
That said I did use a M21 at times and that had a scope...

But for most of my shooting nowadays a good old fashioned semi buckhorn rear sight with a wide notch with a front sight made of nickel or a peep of some sort works just fine.
Andy
I like regular old sites but if I had my old eyes I would be better lol

I want the computerized HUD gunsight with rangefinding-adjusted aimpoint and ammo-count out of a jet fighter shrunk down to fit in an RMR or EoTech case. Put pipper where you want to make hole, pull trigger, bullet goes there.

High quality, 1" tube, 40mm, fixed 6X. Standard duplex, no BDC or other stuff. It's always gotten the job done for me.

Sounds like a Leupold FX3 6x42. Great scope.

It would depend on the "dream rifle". My "dream rifle" is something like a Biesen custom M70 similar to what Jack O'Connor would have used. I'd be ok with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 or maybe a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36.

I have an ACOG, A TA31RCO-A4CP that I bought from a member here. Although it is handy, clear and fun it is not really my dream optic. The one shortcoming I have with it is the eye relief is really short and results in a weird hold for me which kind of turns me off on it for the "dream" optic choice.

I would like to try one of the VCOGS, 1-6 first focal plane... But that still is not quite "dream" worthy.

I think maybe my dream would be a Nightforce Beast 5 x 25 x 56... Of course it would only make me happy if I had a Cheytac M200 Intervention in .408 to mount it on.

I have an ACOG, A TA31RCO-A4CP that I bought from a member here. Although it is handy, clear and fun it is not really my dream optic. The one shortcoming I have with it is the eye relief is really short and results in a weird hold for me which kind of turns me off on it for the "dream" optic choice.

I would like to try one of the VCOGS, 1-6 first focal plane... But that still is not quite "dream" worthy.

I think maybe my dream would be a Nightforce Beast 5 x 25 x 56... Of course it would only make me happy if I had a Cheytac M200 Intervention in .408 to mount it on.
The TA11 and TA33 have a much better eye relief than the TA31. The TA33 having better eye relief than the TA11 and TA31.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top