JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in a apartment complex with my wife and 1 year old daughter in Vancouver,WA. I'm on a top floor and of the six tenants in our entry way, two smoke weed like chimneys and a third occasionally. As most already know, marijuana in WA is now legal. Though we are in a process of finding a home, moving may not be happening right away. Manager says that smoking is allowed inside/outside of the units. Plus, this is considered private property and no smoking near entryways law does not apply. I tried talking with them about it-no luck either. On the contrary - we are breathing it in in every room of our place, where it used to be just if you opened the balcony door or window. Any ideas what we can do or who we can contact to better our situation? If anyone has had a similar experience, I'm all ears to a possible solution.

Time to move.

You could contact your county health department and file some kind of complaint through them? If you're having to breath in other peoples smoke as often as you say, I'd think you'd have an ear for the idea that that's unhealthy.

1) get your daughter tested ... if positive, show the results to a lawyer and then the landlord..in that order.
2) get yourselves tested ... if positive, show results to a lawyer and then the landlord..in that order.

buy a good air purifier and move as soon as possible
You may want to pre-emptively speak to your employer,,,he's going to smell it on you.

Good luck

Vote in a new law outlawing it again :\/\/\:confused::eek:o_O
How to better your situation? City people complain and remain. Country people dont care what a neighbor is doing. None of your bus. If you dont like what someone else is doing ,,,,,, Well then move. Simple solution. And the place would have to be on fire before the smoke would ever bother a neighbor.

Obviously getting out as soon as possible is your best option. I don't think there is much you can do to stop it in your present situation. Funny how those that always claim their actions, in this case, smoking weed, doesn't hurt anyone else, never consider how they are actually hurting someone else.

Now, if you had a mean streak, you could always bake up some nice brownies for them, 'cause they'll probably be hungry. And if you just happened to heavily lace them with laxative, you know, for fun, you might get some sense of satisfaction from it - and maybe a brief reprieve while they clear their bowels. I'm not advocating this of course, just thinking out loud :p

I can sympathize with most of what's been said, however their isn't anything or much of anything you can do too them in this state.

(Had a friend in a similar situation) He went down to one of those grow stores and they sold him an air filter and fan and he just runs it in his house to clean the stink that comes from his neighbor. I want to say it cost him a couple bones but was well worth it.

Probably best just to keep your air clean till you move, never can tell what a neighbor fued will turn into.

Obviously getting out as soon as possible is your best option. I don't think there is much you can do to stop it in your present situation. Funny how those that always claim their actions, in this case, smoking weed, doesn't hurt anyone else, never consider how they are actually hurting someone else.

Now, if you had a mean streak, you could always bake up some nice brownies for them, 'cause they'll probably be hungry. And if you just happened to heavily lace them with laxative, you know, for fun, you might get some sense of satisfaction from it - and maybe a brief reprieve while they clear their bowels. I'm not advocating this of course, just thinking out loud :p

:s0113:

Funny how those that always claim their actions, in this case, smoking weed, doesn't hurt anyone else, never consider how they are actually hurting someone else.

This isn't a question of whether or not the cannabis is causing a problem- it's a lack of consideration of the user. This isn't any different than any other activity that can be done respectfully and considerately or completely disrespectfully and in considerately by the individual. Playing music? You can do it in a way that doesn't affect anyone else, and most music listeners do. You can also blare your music in such a way that it becomes a real problem for your neighbors.

there are ways to mitigate the stink. If the op doesn't want to move, perhaps he could look into purchasing stink reduction devices and gifting them to his neighbors. a dryer sheet stuffed into a toilet paper cylinder eliminates about 95% of the odor and doesn't cost anything... There's defjnitely things that can be done.

What Ben said.

Move, OR document everything and send a claim/case off to the county health department.

Video evidence of smoke being captured in your rooms is sure to raise some eyebrows.
Also the smell alone from pot makes some people sick.. Im sure you could make a case.

The problem with most residential, apartment and condo construction is the lack of a quality indoor air systems. These places have bathroom exhaust and sometimes a kitchen exhaust. In a perfect world the exhaust ducts would have backdraft dampers that actually worked, but the don't.

So the problem is, air inside the space is always leaking out of the space thru the exhaust ducts and causing a negative/inward air movement into the space which draws contaminated air from outside and often from the adjacent spaces thru the 120v outlets, around the plumbing fixtures and a number of places one would never guess. I test buildings via a number of methods, so I am familiar with the situation.

The only way to fix the problem is to introduce enough outside air into the space to keep the space slightly positive relative to outside, and when this is mentioned most people's eyes start glazing over because they have no idea of how to accomplish this or they find some other way to cope with the situation once they find out the cost to fix the problem.

Ask me that when the idiots fall asleep smoking that crap wnd set the apartment on fire.
Its happened as well as people driving off the road or causing a head on when dozing off in a stuper.
Idiots also accidentally shoot people with their guns. Ban them also.

Ban them to hell!

Have to agree with Ben on this one. Take care of the idiots, don't ban ... insert object or behavior here...! We have azz hole people that shoot up signs and leave trash all over the place. Those people should be dealt with, and harshly in my opinion. Same as anyone that shows no consideration for others.

"Idiots also accidentally shoot people with their guns. Ban them also."

They frequently are ...
... especially if they're shooting inside apartment buildings.

As a privately held business, a landlord can declare smoking or no smoking areas, floors or the entire building and grounds. he may loose a few tenants...but he will also easily replace them.
Ask any hotel owner...the non smoking rooms are always the first to be booked, and they save a fortune on insurance.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads