JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I look at it from a point of view of accuracy and efficiency.

Look at most of the places you frequent, stores etc. How large are they?

Average aisle in a Safeway is 25+ yards. Home Depot...100 yards?

Not saying one needs to take a 100 yard shot with a handgun...but the smaller the size, the more difficult it becomes to make accurate and efficient hits.

Go with the largest handgun you can conceal.

Subcompact mouse guns suck to shoot. Kinda pointless to carry a tiny firearm if you aren't proficient with it.

This.

I don't consider the 43x a mouse gun. When I think of mouse guns I think LCPs etc.
General statement. I know the 43x is on the larger side of that equation. To me, anything that can be pocket carried falls into the "mouse gun" category but I digress.

I carry a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact 4" every day, no matter the season...it's the same handgun I use when I put on pistol classes.

Practice using B8 targets only, or something of similar size.

Start at 3 yards, whatever drill you do, keep all the rounds in the black. Only increase distance if you can keep all your shots in the black. Setup yourself for success, not failure.

Do a comparison of 2, 3 or more handguns. Which are you more efficient and accurate with? That is what you should be carrying...afterall...your life, and that of who is with you at the time, depends on it.

I carry a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact 4" every day, no matter the season...it's the same handgun I use when I put on pistol classes.

Practice using B8 targets only, or something of similar size.

Start at 3 yards, whatever drill you do, keep all the rounds in the black. Only increase distance if you can keep all your shots in the black. Setup yourself for success, not failure.

Do a comparison of 2, 3 or more handguns. Which are you more efficient and accurate with? That is what you should be carrying...afterall...your life, and that of who is with you at the time, depends on it.
And your going to be looked on pretty poorly when you carry a gun (that is comfortable to carry but hard to shoot efficiently) and miss your target. Potentially hitting and killing an innocent individual.

To answer the OP, I will echo find a holster you like and practice with the weapon you decided on..
On the secondary question of what to carry, I am another vote for choosing the one you are most likely to actually carry on you. A superior handgun (larger caliber, full-size, ect) is meaningless if you aren't willing to actually carry it...
I would choose a small .380 in my pocket over a full-size larger caliber at home in the safe...
Carry the largest, most accurate handgun that you are willing to carry, whatever that might be.

Last Edited:
Look at the events/shootings that are taking place around us and then decide what your are comfortable placing your life on. It's a personal choice. Just make the right choice cause your life and the lives of others depends on it.

Using the figures you gave the 43x is 10.3% thinner (at the slide) than the 19. Not an insignificant amount. Having both guns in front of you at the same time is when you see how much smaller the 43x is.
Oh geez.

That's like bragging to your new girlfriend that your...little general...is 10% bigger than her last boyfriend's. Except her last boyfriend was only three inches.

10% bigger than nothing is still nothing. :rolleyes:

Any advice for the transition from daily carry of a compact pistol (G19) to a sub-compact pistol with a rds optic (G43X MOS)?
I sold the first sub-compact I owned. When I would shoot, I would unintentionally press the mag release button. Small guns rotate - well when you start getting "click" and that is a very loud sound in a bad situation.

I have another, well a compact that isn't' called that with no issues.

So, my recommendation is to rent/borrow what you are looking at and run a half a case thru it.

That being said, I don't run a Glock 19 in competition because when I have, I find the meat of my hand can get between the mag floor plate and the grip. Blood blisters - up to keeping the mag from seating.
How likely are you to re-load in a CC situation?

Shoot the compact in some competition - like speed steel.

edited to fix wrong word to right word issue from spell check.

Last Edited:
How likely are you to re-load in a CC situation?
On one hand Tom Givens of Rangemaster Training has had an open bet for around 20 years. If anyone can come up with a video of a shooting where a mag change, or a magazine picked up off the deck changed the outcome of the fight, he'd give them $10,000
The money is still gathering dust.

On the other hand...I would still practice the mag change. The way things are going with multiple perps and/or flash mob etc., Tom above may be losing his money soon.

On one hand Tom Givens of Rangemaster Training has had an open bet for around 20 years. If anyone can come up with a video of a shooting where a mag change, or a magazine picked up off the deck changed the outcome of the fight, he'd give them $10,000
The money is still gathering dust.

On the other hand...I would still practice the mag change. The way things are going with multiple perps and/or flash mob etc., Tom above may be losing his money soon.
I used to be a firm believer that the mag in the gun was enough. It wasn't until recently that I started carrying 1-2 extra mags on my person.

Screenshot_2018-04-19-07-46-42-1.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top