JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think @VinnieBoomBah has some good advice here. I don't practice a "carry rotation". Every pistol I carried, I trained with and carried for multiple years. When I'm shipping-my-pants in a self-defense situation, everything's gonna be running on muscle memory.

Cheers.
This may be the first time anyone has said that about me on here. I may do a screenshot and get it printed out so I can frame it :p

The 43x is a single stack and is quite a bit thinner than the 19.
Um...no it's not.

The 43x is 1.10" wide and the 19 is 1.26". That's a difference of .16". The slide width difference is even less at .13".

Now if you're some deep cover operative or an extremely small person, then I can see where this "MIGHT" make a difference. But overall that difference is negligible for the vast majority of people and vast majority of carry situations. And it most certainly is not worth the reduction in carry capacity IMO.

And if a person does decide to go with the 43x I think you want to be really careful with your ammo selection and make sure you go with a round that has been proven to expand out of shorter barrels. YMMV

On paper there isn't much of a difference in dimensions between the 48 and 19. But when handling them and wearing them the difference in size is significant. Especially in summer clothes. Yes a 19 can be concealed, but a 48 is much easier.

For me, it just depends on what I'm wearing. I have a few to choose from, but it's usually my G26 in an OW holster with a double magazine carrier on my weak side. If I'm wearing a tee short and walking shorts, it's a Rugar LCP in my pocket or a Kel-Tec AT3 also in my pocket. I have no lights, lasers or other items hanging from my concealed carry. I've been carrying for over 50 years and learned a long time ago that most defensive shootings take place at 10' or less, so quick and easy access is my greatest concern. A magazine full of .380 hollow points will absolutely destroy an attacker.

Um...no it's not.

The 43x is 1.10" wide and the 19 is 1.26". That's a difference of .16". The slide width difference is even less at .13".

Now if you're some deep cover operative or an extremely small person, then I can see where this "MIGHT" make a difference. But overall that difference is negligible for the vast majority of people and vast majority of carry situations. And it most certainly is not worth the reduction in carry capacity IMO.

And if a person does decide to go with the 43x I think you want to be really careful with your ammo selection and make sure you go with a round that has been proven to expand out of shorter barrels. YMMV
Using the figures you gave the 43x is 10.3% thinner (at the slide) than the 19. Not an insignificant amount. Having both guns in front of you at the same time is when you see how much smaller the 43x is.

OP,

My husband still has a few handguns even though he downsized big time.

He likes his new GLOCK 42 (.380acp) pistol very much! Bought NIB this past Christmas/New Year's.

He does not reload for this pistol. If you are interested in the ammunition that he bought for this pistol - let me know. IT is a tack driver and it serves his purpose very well.

Another one that he likes very much is a Beretta 21A Bobcat Inox. It likes the Federal HP 22lr bulk box and the CCI Mini Mag HP 22lr ammunition. IT likes HP ammunition!

The smaller Glock pistols in 45acp (30SF) are nice but maybe that may not interest you. He reloads for this pistol.

Best wishes to you.

Cate

I don't recommend the Sub Compact, I carry one (hellcat) I also have the hellcat pro in the safe and while it is just slightly larger (like the 365xl) it is more controllable and feels way more like a full size gun.

I know nothing about gee-locs but suggest

365xl over 365
and
Hellcat pro over original hellcat

Any advice for the transition from daily carry of a compact pistol (G19) to a sub-compact pistol with a rds optic (G43X MOS)? I understand up front that such a concept is a journey, not a quick reply. Just hoping to fill in some knowledge gaps that can get missed initially.

Respectfully,

Aaron
Advice? Go holster shopping, shoot the bubblegum out of the 43x and carry on.

You have seen the battle over defense calibers. Don't lose sight of the fact that your chosen caliber bullet energy equals mass times VELOCITY SQUARED. Shorten that barrel and the velocity diminishes at a great rate. There goes your bullet's performance. For this reason, I stick with the longest barrels I can stand to carry, regardless the caliber. Or switch to a smaller caliber that can still get where it needs to go, and do it at a lower velocity.

Just carry a full size gun. It's easy. And I can almost guarantee the average person shoots a full frame handgun better than the mouse gun that is so much more "comfortable."

Just carry a full size gun. It's easy. And I can almost guarantee the average person shoots a full frame handgun better than the mouse gun that is so much more "comfortable."
In another forum @1775usmc
"Just picked up a S&W 442 that I'll carry in formal events. Any recommendations on appendix carry holsters? Also looking to get wood grips for it."?

The best advice I have ever received is carry what you are comfortable carrying because you are more likely to carry it. Because a full size pistol is no good at home or in your car.

"Just picked up a S&W 442 that I'll carry in formal events. Any recommendations on appendix carry holsters? Also looking to get wood grips for it."?

The best advice I have ever received is carry what you are comfortable carrying because you are more likely to carry it. Because a full size pistol is no good at home or in your car.
Yea. I can't exactly carry a Glock 17 in formal clothes…. But in street clothes it's easy. Thanks for quoting me though. You bring up a valid point.

Is it what's comfortable to carry or what you can shoot efficiently. I'll bet my life on the latter. I may carry that 442 once or twice a year. Other than that I will pass. I did find a holster for it though. Haha.

Right. And different body shapes and different clothing influence the choice of handgun. Everyone has different circumstances.

It didn't seem like the OP needed help making a decision, it seems like he wants advice on how to move forward with the decision he made.

Like I said, find a good holster and train with the 43x.

My apologies. Sometimes I am rash with my opinions. Carry what works best for you. Just train with it. Cause at the end of the day you own every bullet. Again I am sorry if I offended anyone…

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top