JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any advice for the transition from daily carry of a compact pistol (G19) to a sub-compact pistol with a rds optic (G43X MOS)? I understand up front that such a concept is a journey, not a quick reply. Just hoping to fill in some knowledge gaps that can get missed initially.

Respectfully,

Aaron

Last Edited:
SIG P365, comes with 10-rd mags standard, with 12- and 15-rd extended mags available.
The P365 is adaptable to an RDS. I believe you'd be looking at the Romeo 1.

ETA: The Romeo 1 fits the P320/M17, not the P365. Sorry.
I'm sure someone must make an RMR for sub-compacts...

JMHO but if you have well developed muscle memory with on platform sticking with it will be your best bet for a smooth transition
I love RDS handguns but understand that some struggle with them

IS this a summer carry type deal where you need deeper conceal?
Or are you just wanting "Less Gun?"
Ive never understood that. I understand if you are in dress clothes and need to down size. But jeans and a tshirt don't hide a gun anymore than shorts and a t shirt…. Why change up the gun? If you are proficient with it why change it? Just my opinion.

I never quite understood the 43x. Why have the compact grip and a sub compact slide? The slide is the easy part to hide. I'm 5'8" and 160#. I have a long torso, so I can't hide a 5" government OWB, but I can easily hide that IWB with a t-shirt and shorts.

Grip length and thickness IMHO are the two items to look at the most. Until my Wilson Combat is complete, I rock a Glock26 OWB.

Personally, I'd stick with the 19.

I never quite understood the 43x. Why have the compact grip and a sub compact slide? The slide is the easy part to hide. I'm 5'8" and 160#. I have a long torso, so I can't hide a 5" government OWB, but I can easily hide that IWB with a t-shirt and shorts.

Grip length and thickness IMHO are the two items to look at the most. Until my Wilson Combat is complete, I rock a Glock26 OWB.

Personally, I'd stick with the 19.
Back when I was that size I could as well, a 1911 or a 4" K frame or Ruger Six just disappeared in a Bianchi Pistol Pocket :cool:
These days there is a bunch more of 'me' where the gun used to be and things don't hide as well as they used to :(

Why the downsize, there's not really a significant difference in size that I see, other than .7 inch In slide length. What am I missing…
861CA597-7D08-4991-B6D4-C6C49569819A.jpeg

The 43x is a single stack and is quite a bit thinner than the 19. My wife made the switch a couple years ago but for her it was more a matter of weight. Shield arms makes a steel 15 round magazine for the 43x to get the capacity (and weight!) back up.

The dimensions are much smaller than the paper statistics would lead you to believe. Especially for small framed people looking to conceal in summer clothes.
I'm a small dude, and my "deep" carry is a government 1911 IWB as opposed to a Glock26 OWB for normal social activity.

(My) Best advice is to be comfortable with your daily carry - that is, shoot it accurately, quickly and confidently. If a different firearm makes you a better EDC'er, then go for it.

Your downsizing choice of G19 to G43X MOS suggests multiple competing variables that need to be prioritized: comfort, conceal-ability, magazine capacity, iron vs red-dot or both, carry position, holster selection, carry ammo selection, etc.

Everyone's acceptable level of comfort and conceal-ability is different. For instance, I shoot both firearms (with optics) from concealment with no discernible difference in speed or accuracy. But carrying the smaller firearm with the same brand aiwb holster is more comfortable - the shorter barrel/slide helps when sitting down. However, the G43X feels snappier so I run softer shooting rounds (Sig VCrown 365 or 147gr) to adjust. I want my carry to be as stock as possible, so I don't carry with the S15s. But I am also putting in practice/range/match time so 20+1 rounds of daily carry will feel sufficient. I love my red-dots, but one failed me once during a match (battery issue) so now I am practicing iron-sight only and focusing on edc simplicity.

Everything is a trade-off, and not withstanding all the previous excellent posts, you will likely change your mind over time. Jump in on that journey and figure out what works for you.

Don't…. Why would you go from a 19 to a 43x?
This! I had a g48 for a little while, but I shot the g19 significantly better.
Also follow up shots will be much faster with the g19, at least that was my experience.(owned 2 gen g19's,and 1 gen 5 g19)
If you want something smaller I'd just get a spare frame for your g19 and have it cut to take g26 mags, I'm actually considering doing that with my OZ9.

The wife has a G43 and shoots it very well.
I think it's one of the easier sub compacts to shoot accurately maybe because it's not tiny-small like some of the others.
It's 8+1 with the Vickers mag extension.

This! I had a g48 for a little while, but I shot the g19 significantly better.
Also follow up shots will be much faster with the g19, at least that was my experience.(owned 2 gen g19's,and 1 gen 5 g19)
If you want something smaller I'd just get a spare frame for your g19 and have it cut to take g26 mags, I'm actually considering doing that with my OZ9.
Same. I went from a 17 to a 48. Carried the 48 for a decent amount of time. I liked it but not as much as I liked the 17. Currently carry a G45 with an x300 light and it checks all my boxes. I won't be switching anytime soon.

Fun topic to talk about because it's about personal feel and preferences, so LOTS of opinions.

So, this is my experience, unique to me. Take what you like and leave the rest.

I went through this process throughout several decades of concealed carry: G19 to G26; G26 to G43; G43 to G43X. (There was a Shield and a P365 thrown in there for a while - but eventually I went back to the "Austrian brick").

JMHO but if you have well developed muscle memory with on platform sticking with it will be your best bet for a smooth transition
I love RDS handguns but understand that some struggle with them
I think @VinnieBoomBah has some good advice here. I don't practice a "carry rotation". Every pistol I carried, I trained with and carried for multiple years. When I'm shipping-my-pants in a self-defense situation, everything's gonna be running on muscle memory.

I never quite understood the 43x. Why have the compact grip and a sub compact slide?
For me, there is a noticeable difference in feel and comfort, even though we're only talking tenths of an inch differences in length, width and height.

It's a personal thing, but for some of us, it does FEEL different and is significant.

I can see that for others, that would not be the case.
The 43x is a single stack and is quite a bit thinner than the 19. My wife made the switch a couple years ago but for her it was more a matter of weight. Shield arms makes a steel 15 round magazine for the 43x to get the capacity (and weight!) back up.
Shield arms mags are a great option for the G43X - I think it is a game changer that makes the 43X platform worth going to. If not for that, the 10-round mag is just - "meh," given the size of the grip.

Also, the Shield mag weighs less than the OEM G43x mag - 2.0 ounces compared to 2.2 ounces. (Yeah, I know the Shield mag is steel. Just weight them if you're skeptical.) Add 2.0 ounces of extra ammo (5 rounds x .4 ounces each) and the increased weight with a Shield mag AND 50% MORE AMMO, is only 1.8 ounces. I think that's a pretty good tradeoff of increased weight to increased ammo.
The dimensions are much smaller than the paper statistics would lead you to believe. Especially for small framed people looking to conceal in summer clothes.
What @User 1234 said. Some don't feel the difference. But after carrying each for multiple years, I can.

Like I said, TWYLALTR.

Cheers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews