JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was wondering if anybody knows the laws on carrying double edge knives? I have a Gerber Guardian Back-up that I really want to carry but dont want any problems.

From what I know they're illegal. Oregon or Washington.
Apparently they say they are only made for one thing, stabbing people.....
Well Duh!!
If someone pulls a gun on me, their getting stabbed. Double blade or not.

Pretty stupid logic. I mean to me a knife is a knife. Shouldn't matter whether it's single blade, double blade, fixed, folder, switch, does it really matter.

Go here to the Oregon Revised Statutes:

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

Then go to Section 166.240.

Dirks and daggers are both double edged (fixed blade) knives, designed primarily for stabbling. Most common sources (Webster, Wikipedia, etc) support this characterization.

There may be case law, local ordinances in your community or other material that may further define the the definition of dirk or dagger and may fit the description of the double edged knife you have. And there may be informed, contrary opinions.

You might consider consulting an attorney, your county prosecutor's office or draw your own conclusions from what the Statute says.

Its a rather pointless statute, that is horribly specific (and at the same time, incredibly vague!) and covers a knife that almost no one is going to carry. You can just as easily pick up a single edged bowie shaped knife and stab someone.. probably more easily than with a dagger type knife.

Per established Oregon case law, ANY double edged blade is going to be considered a dirk, dagger or stiletto. Therefore,
166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.
(2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section applies to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005, whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. Justice courts have concurrent jurisdiction to try any person charged with violating any of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section. [Amended by 1977 c.454 §1; 1985 c.543 §2; 1989 c.839 §21; 1999 c.1040 §15]

I'm an extremist.

I don't follow laws, and will not pretend otherwise, that are set on unrealistic standards.

Carry whatever knife you want. How many people have actually been stabbed by a double-edged knife, vs. an 8 dollar pocket knife?

I carry this everywhere I go.

ben3300bk.jpg

As I read it, the Oregon statues only prohibit CONCEALED carry of dirks and auto knives. Open carry in a sheath or knife pouch or even with a pocket clip is legal. Don't let your jacket cover it, though. I guess that the theory is that if an officer of the law can see it, it is not an offence.

Recent Oregon court case history found a man in Salem innocent of concealed carry violation because his hunting knife up his sleeve was single edged, and thus not a "dirk" and not prohibited to carry concealed.

I think we Oregonians could legally carry swords if we wanted. I favor a Danish Long Axe myself.........................elsullo :D

As I read it, the Oregon statues only prohibit CONCEALED carry of dirks and auto knives. Open carry in a sheath or knife pouch or even with a pocket clip is legal. Don't let your jacket cover it, though. I guess that the theory is that if an officer of the law can see it, it is not an offence.

Recent Oregon court case history found a man in Salem innocent of concealed carry violation because his hunting knife up his sleeve was single edged, and thus not a "dirk" and not prohibited to carry concealed.

I think we Oregonians could legally carry swords if we wanted. I favor a Danish Long Axe myself.........................elsullo :D

We have a guy that pushes a baby around town carrying 2 swords on his belt.

I think I'm just gunna leave it home...o yea, about Sweet Home, I helped do all paving, landscaping, and concreat work right next door to Dan Dee, at Dutch Bros...some odd people there...

As long as it is not concealed, there is no limitation on what type or size of knife you carry in OR.

NOT TRUE!! Check the laws before you make statements. Automatic knives i.e. Switchblades and/or double edged knives i.e. Dirks, Daggers, etc. Are legal to own, but not legal to carry.

"166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor."

NOT TRUE!! Check the laws before you make statements. Automatic knives i.e. Switchblades and/or double edged knives i.e. Dirks, Daggers, etc. Are legal to own, but not legal to carry.

"166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor."

That is for a CONCEALED knife.

I carry a "Switchblade" every day.

ben3300bk.jpg

The Way I look at it Carry what you want, a knife is a knife doesnt matter what kind in the hands of someone that knows what hes doing. Im pretty sure that 90% of the people on this forum will act if were put in the situation that they need to defend themselfs or others. And it doesnt matter what knife you have or gun or i will use a pen if i had too! You will act.
I carry two knifes with me everywere i go plus my Glock as my daily carry, there Benchmades oneis a full size Griptiltan, and the other is CBK and everyoe knows what that was build for.
The way I look at it, Is carry the tools that you can use to defend yourself and others if need be.

It also helps if you read all of the words in the statute. :winkkiss:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads