JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
free floating firing pin
What is this "free floating" you speak of? "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
lighter than average trigger.
Please define light so lighter than average can be better understood. Details and supporting evidence matter.
I'm not saying that the above couldn't happen only in my almost 50 years of 1911 use including 2 years as a small arms repairman at Camp Withicome this is the first time I've ever heard such a thing.
Ditto [ insert Blazing Saddles reference here]

My service pistol, or duty weapon is an un-modified, save for factory replacement parts, because it has to be that way.
The reason is liability. Our underwriter(s) would not allow FFL liability and preferred manufacturer liability.

My EDC however does have a light firing pin and heaver spring. That's about it. Other than playing with the main and recoil springs I started with a square bottom firing pin stop and gradually increased the bottom radius until I had the timing I wanted.

The chamber has been almost "throated" if you look hard enough, in the right light, with a magnifying glass. More importantly it's a tad tight and has a very sharp and well defined shoulder for the case mouth to sit on.

Then we're back to the trigger. HD-806 True Radius PRO sear stoning jig. When mainspring pressure is increased this i the only way. I'm speaking of the radius, not necessarily the tool, however the tool just works. This baffles some as it's the lightest 5 1/2 pound trigger you'll ever tug on. Scale is a scale so the difference is no runs , drips, errors or creep. The trigger bow and broach have been polished. I spent a crazy amount of time on the sear spring.

Okay, finally to the point. If barrel to hood and saddle fit are correct or nearly so and no mush brain has put an oversized link in it (or anything else equally dumb) If the same above modifications are applied to a...
Ivar Johnson
Colt
Tisas
...or any other series 70 clone, the results will be the same EVEN IF TH SLIDE TO FRAME FIT IS AS LOOSE AS A TWO DOLLAR WHORE.

Both Clint Smith and the Colonel tell a story about a marine that carried a 1911 with a rubber band fixing the slide to frame, "to keep it quiet". When asked why he didn't just have the armorer tighten it up , "I'd rather have it rattle and work".Ed brown , Bill Wilson, and a plethora of others have been virtually shouting this for decades. If it locks up in battery and functions reliably with reasonable accuracy then ...

@Duneblaster , I'm not picking on you. I'm offering experience and insight. The rattle isn't universally a bad thing. Series 70 isn't a death trap, The sum total of the parts that make up a 1911 occasionally need a bit of diagnosis, inspection, massaging, and coaxing into place.

I bought the base Service 1911A1 Tisas. The rails toe in .0015 to the front on each side. It has .005 to .007 side to side and up and down. It's loose. Accurate though. Finish is perfect, don't see any MIM, machining is very clean, the slide is perfect and very hard. Chromed barrel is glass inside. Sear break is pretty clean. The safety over travels to off. Slide stop is round and hard. Barrel fit is excellent. The quality is a surprise other than the loose fit and safety. I'm going to have it Accu-railed.

Plus a pinky safety would just be...weird.
Anything is possible if you trust Jesus

KIMG0510.JPG KIMG0509.JPG

Not sure if the angle on the ramp in the frame is correct but one of these might help. And some G.I. style mags with dimpled followers (as JMB intended) and feed lips that allow the top round to ride up higher.

If the 1911 was JMB's Final Masterpiece then why did he plan on adding an external extractor & why was his last pistol design a Hi-Power? Still not a 1911 fan. Inventors and designers are rarely content with anything they make. They're always looking to improve things. The worst thing that happens to firearms is multiple companies veering off course and changing stuff which ends up hurting reliability. Too many folks just wake up one day and decide they're gonna start making firearms.
John Moses Browning (January 23, 1855[1] – November 26, 1926)

JMB had been dead nearly 10 years when the P-35 was released. The 1923 patent was for a striker fired 16 round magazine fed weapon that would not have existed if not for

Dieudonné Joseph Saive (French: [djødɔne ʒɔzɛf sɛːv]; 23 May 1888 – 12 October 1970

For some reason JMB intensely disliked the double stack magazine and did his best to ignore it without ill will toward Dieudonné. There isn't a lot of historical of anecdotal evidence that Browning and Saive got along well or didn't howeverr the P-35 wears the Browning name after Saive put ten years of work in it, created the double stack magazine that made it possible, not only with Saive's blessing but with his instance. Saive very practacally stated that attaching the Browning name to the pistol made good sense and quiped once that even his native Belgians mispronounced his name regularly.

It all comes down to the magazine, Saive made it work.
The original locked breech design was a work around the 1911 patents.
The BDA or crunch and ticker , and BDAO didn't come along until 1980.
Saive had been deceased 10 years by that time. Although Saive is rumored to have been available to FN up to his death, his day to day involvement ended in the '60s.

Details, facts ...

I'm not saying that the above couldn't happen only in my almost 50 years of 1911 use including 2 years as a small arms repairman at Camp Withicome this is the first time I've ever heard such a thing.
I have a series 70 from the 70's still running all original parts, never has it fired from racking the slide!
sounds like an invented problem to justify not liking the system.

8 pages of discussion thats literally debunked every single claim Tisas are bad in a thread titled "Dont buy tisas"

What is this "free floating" you speak of? "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Please define light so lighter than average can be better understood. Details and supporting evidence matter.

@Duneblaster , I'm not picking on you. I'm offering experience and insight. The rattle isn't universally a bad thing. Series 70 isn't a death trap, The sum total of the parts that make up a 1911 occasionally need a bit of diagnosis, inspection, massaging, and coaxing into place.
Not free floating like an SKS firing pin (steel cased ammo has harder primers so it's not as much of a problem). Free floating, as in no firing pin block. With a light firing pin spring it's basically 'free floating'. A hard drop or downward slide movement like what happened to me and it will go off.

Lighter than pretty much most every other pistol on the market. Lighter trigger pull wt than your average pistol but not lighter than other 1911s.

Accuracy is in the barrel bushing and barrel. I prefer a loose fitting slide for reliability. It's a death trap if the firing pin can slide forward enough to ignite a primer. All series 70 1911s need a lt wt titanium firing pin or a heavier spring or both.

Last Edited:
8 pages of discussion thats literally debunked every single claim Tisas are bad in a thread titled "Dont buy tisas"
I wasn't even near the computer and I thought, "I ought to buy a Tisas 1911."
I sure as hell don't need another handgun, but unlike long guns, there's ALWAYS room for another handgun in the safe.. :s0010:

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads