JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I used to totally ignore blue WTS WA ads in the Handgun and Rifle classifieds sections. I bet Washington folks have similarly ignored green WTS OR ads. Even though BG checks SUCK, maybe the silver lining of the crappy cloud is that if we have to go to an FFL anyway, guns from the entire PDX metro area, from Wilsonville to Battleground are now available to all of us.

What do y'all think?

Trust me, We have had to deal with this in Washington for half a year now. I can tell you there is no silver lining, no good parts and no point.

You could always buy a gun from anyplace in the country if you wanted to do the paperwork.

That's exactly the point. Until August of 2015, I used to be an American with the freedom to meet another trusted American and exchange cash and a signature for a firearm. No paperwork, no fee.

Now that there is going to be a fee no matter where I buy the gun, WTS WA ads are just as attractive as WTS OR ads.

Mmm

To me to "make attractive" is a positive thing.

My point was there is nothing attractive about gaining nothing and losing considerably. You have always been able to buy from the Washington classifieds, nothing has changed.

I understand what your saying, I just dont think its a silver lining as you put it. Your looking at something you have always been able to do and didn't want to now as ok because you are being forced to do BGC anyway.:(:(

Think of it as a polished turd instead if a silver lining. "Silver lining" implies nice, while a polished turd looks nice, it's still just a piece of poo that's been polished.

"Polished turd" is exactly what I actually meant instead of silver lining. Thank you for the edit!

Since I'm already lubing up and bending over to buy a used firearm, at least now I can choose whether to buy a rusty gun from WA or a mossy gun from OR. I'll get the same loss of freedoms now, buying from either side of the river.

Not that I am advocating breaking the law, but I think it's naïve to think many people are going to obey this law. Kind of a joke when counties, and liberal ones at that, are coming out and saying they have neither the time nor funds to implement or enforce this law.

But hey, if it works for you, then power to you. I live too far south to convince many in WA to bring their guns to me...

If selling to a friend or co-worker or family member or close acquaintance, civil disobedience might very well be a common response to this law. But if I am looking on a classifieds site like this, there is just way too much financial risk to bear by skirting the law.

And yes, my interest in this issue is because I live in view of the Washington border. It is merely academic for a lot of NWFA-ers too far north or south to care.

Not that I am advocating breaking the law, but I think it's naïve to think many people are going to obey this law. Kind of a joke when counties, and liberal ones at that, are coming out and saying they have neither the time nor funds to implement or enforce this law.

But hey, if it works for you, then power to you. I live too far south to convince many in WA to bring their guns to me...
As I have said in other threads,you can ignore this law all you want,but be careful
When I sold guns to folks I didn't know before 591? in WA,I knew that there was really no way to put anything on me if the person used the gun in self defense or for a crime. I did my duty buy making sure they were not a felon.
Now,if you sell a gun without a backround check and either the person who sold it to you kept a record or you sell a gun that was purchased at a ffl and the buyer uses it in a crime OR,or just for self defense and kills someone,they will investigate who owned the gun prior to you.
Do you know for a fact that the buyer will say it was bought before the laws went into effect?
Will they say you sold them the gun last week?
You can ignore the laws but if the person you sell the gun to isn't of strong constitution,you will be looking at some problems

If selling to a friend or co-worker or family member or close acquaintance, civil disobedience might very well be a common response to this law. But if I am looking on a classifieds site like this, there is just way too much financial risk to bear by skirting the law.

And yes, my interest in this issue is because I live in view of the Washington border. It is merely academic for a lot of NWFA-ers too far north or south to care.
You wrote this as i wrote mine.
If you do sell to coworker or BIL types,make sure they understand,te gun was sold last year some time
Keep track of the time stamp on your sales

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads