JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, here's a Ruger P89 9mm. Please note the ring at the base just behind the mag well.

Does anyone know what that is for? It bugs the heck out of me. :huh:

How much will I depreciate the value of the gun if I neatly file it off there?

Thanks! :s0155:

p89jjjj.jpg

That is a lanyard loop like these:

You could safely remove it if you never wanted to attach a lanyard to your pistol, but I would get it to a good gunsmith before grinding away on it... To me the value wouldn't change at all if it was done well, but to others it may be a big deal.

I believe that a lanyard is used in specific tactical conditions. It can also be used if you are concerned with losing you pistol out of your holster while hiking through thick brush or whatever. I am sure there are other uses, but I have never used one.

Thanks for the answers. I don't see myself ever wanting a lanyard. The ring actually bugs me when carrying, shooting or changing/inserting mags.

It appears to be molded as part if the grip to me.

I believe they originated back in the days of the cavalry. Some 1911 magazines even had the loop on them as well as magazines were expensive back then and hard to replace. The same line of reasoning led to the European style magazine release on the butt of the pistol. It was seen as more positive in action and there fore less likely for the average trooper to lose it. The last horse mounted cavalry charge in the US Army took place in the Phillipines at the beginning of WW2.

I don't think much of the modern variants as they are more likely to get hung up climbing out of a vehicle or some other obstacle than they would be of value in weapon retention. Modern security holsters do the job just fine.

Well now I'm convinced to leave it on there. I'm going to hang the gun from my rear-view mirror. I'm tired of those fuzzy dice anyway. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top