JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a room with a safe in it, that I fell relatively safe when i am in there lol.

Not my house, but I remember a friends house when i was a kid. he was showing me how the previous owners before his parents had the basement set up as a gun/safe room. the basement windows were barred/built up to where you couldn't get in through them (and were tiny anyways) and then there was a metal door frame at the bottom of the stairs that apparently had a safe door or security door of some kind. They had it set up to where you had to buzz in or something, because there were wires for a com system to either side of the door. Then in the basement, you could see where they had the rifle holders on the walls (there were holes in the concrete) and the pantry had another heavy door on it and was obviously used for something other then food by the prior owner (guessing ammo or handguns). It was just the remnants when i saw it, but my friend told me about how stuff was set up in there and it sounded pretty cool.

I remember after 9/11, to capitalize on all the government fear mongering, one company made tons of money building safe rooms in people's homes. That way when the roving terrorists came to your home (like Dwight Yoakam) you were ready. lol

:confused:Unless you are confident the cavalry is on the way; tell me how in the cowboy hell locking yourself in a box inside a
bigger box made of flammable material makes any sense whatever.

Making the walls of a safe room safe is not hard. 12" of concrete with a bunch of zig zagged rebar will stop all but a pro team. And if the room is actully outside the walls of the basement they also have to do a lot of digging out in the open. And it will still take them a very long time.

Making the walls of a safe room safe is not hard. 12" of concrete with a bunch of zig zagged rebar will stop all but a pro team. And if the room is actully outside the walls of the basement they also have to do a lot of digging out in the open. And it will still take them a very long time.

1. locate the air intakes
2. fill with something other than air

(water, vehicle exhaust, propane, etc)

I think the intended application of the doors is for more of a vault type room, not a panic room. But you could probably do whatever you wanted with one once you bought it.

We have a safe room in the security sense, solid hemlock wood door on my gal's bedroom, opens out so really hard to kick it in and the hallway is narrow as well. If there's a break in she is to lock herself in there and dial 911 and get out her guns.. I will deal with intruders

But soon we hope to build a real safe house on our land, as in an entire home out of insulated concrete forms

This story is somewhat related to this thread.
I was standing outside of a large shop that did sandblasting. The only guy around to ask questions about their rates was suited up and locked inside blasting away on a car frame.
Twenty minutes later and no sign of stopping for a break, I was just ready to leave when another guy showed up and asked me how long I had been waiting.
His reply when I told him almost a half hour was " scr*w this" and proceeded to walk around back next to the compressor shed.
He lit up a truly foul smelling cigar and started to blow the smoke into the air intake for the hazmat suit the guy was wearing.
One minute later the worker was busting out of the shed and stripping off the helmet coughing his lungs out.
Turned out he was friend of the worker.

I remember after 9/11, to capitalize on all the government fear mongering, one company made tons of money building safe rooms in people's homes. That way when the roving terrorists came to your home (like Dwight Yoakam) you were ready. lol

[video=youtube_share;4foq4HcQdpg]http://youtu.be/4foq4HcQdpg[/video]

I'm not real sure that would get my M1 Garand to open the door from the inside. I was talking about what the OP was asking about not the idea of a panic room or bunker as the thread got side tracked on to. But a room built into a safe for the storage of valuables. I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't bother with having an air intake or exhaust. Just make a way to open the door from the inside.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top