JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I checked the shed and while I do have a tile saw and some tiles, they are pieces and not squares.
I can send my driver up to see SKrueger and get the needed tiles. Just let me know and I would happy to cut them for you.
I sure appreciate that offer partsed, but SKrueger is on the case. If you like this project maybe we can all collaborate on helping others get one done for themselves.

The only way to describe it is it's like a "synthetic" mortar, that looks/feels like a grey putty and hardens/cures like mortar, water solvable/thinnable... and the stuff you posted looks to be of the same animal. :s0155:
This stuff?

pyroseal.jpg

Pyroseal™ - RectorSeal

Does it dry/cure hard? (Take the high road here Stomper,... lol)

Cool! How much have you got, and what will it take to get my hands on some?

PS: For the moment I only need a couple of pounds of it. It will be thinned slightly and then mixed with Perlite to make a lightweight, but high-heat insulation.
Like a space-shuttle tile that gets cast-in-place.

Last Edited:
I'd be happy to meet up in Kaiser Station (perhaps this Saturday) with a small bucket or two that ought to do ya.

And yes, it needs to dry before you put fire to it (for maximum durability). When you put fire to it after it dries, it cures into a hard almost stone like consistency that's quite durable.

I use it to make small refractory repairs, and seal up fireside seams in MASSIVE boilers that exceed 60,000,000 btu's.

BTW- is perlite anything like vermiculite? I have TONS of the stuff in my attic that I plan on vacuuming out and replacing with blown-in fiberglass insulation. You are welcome to the big plastic bags that will result from it, if you can use it.

I'd be happy to meet up in Kaiser Station (perhaps this Saturday) with a small bucket or two that ought to do ya.

And yes, it needs to dry before you put fire to it (for maximum durability). When you put fire to it after it dries, it cures into a hard almost stone like consistency that's quite durable.

I use it to make small refractory repairs, and seal up fireside seams in MASSIVE boilers that exceed 60,000,000 btu's.

BTW- is perlite anything like vermiculite? I have TONS of the stuff in my attic that I plan on vacuuming out and replacing with blown-in fiberglass insulation. You are welcome to the big plastic bags that will result from it, if you can use it.
Perlite is expanded Obsidian. When obsidian absorbs even minute amounts of water over eons in the earth and then is fired in a kiln it pops like popcorn and Perlite is the result.
They both serve similar purposes, but Perlite withstands temps up around 2,000* F whereas Vermiculite is only good for about 1,100* F.
A mixture of Perlite and Sodium Silicate based mortars like PyroSeal is what is used in making refractory insulation like lightweight insulative firebrick, or cast-in-place high heat insulation for commercial ovens, forges, kilns and rocket heaters, where building heat is the main goal, yet without adding an additional oxidizer.
And it doesn't weigh as much as conventional Fire-Clay based firebrick, which resist high heat great, but doesn't insulate all that well by comparison.

By using the mixture I have in mind, the rocket stove can be made lightweight and still not scorch everything around it during use.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads