JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We all know (even if we don't admit) hunting doesn't really make economic sense. To me, wild turkeys are another example of silly law. They are a non indigenous species just like collared doves and wild boar that the F&G would like to eradicate. Off course so Are Chinese pheasants, They pick and choose whatever they like to promote or persecute. If they had been the result of birds escaping from some farmer, they would charge him with a crime but if the introduction is by the government it is OK.

True and the fisheries department is the same way.:mad::mad::mad:

Corn and a big overhead net would help solve your turkey problem. I hate it when you have a problem with non indigenous animals that are introduced originally by the fish or game dept and then they don't take care of the problem themselves or don't let people take care of them once they have become a problem. They then have the gall to prosecute people who try to solve the problem themselves after they get no relief from the said agency. And at $25.00 a tag it is much cheaper to buy a frozen turkey that tastes better. Your wild turkey would probably cost you near to $200.00 if you factor in all the costs associated with it. Some wild game and fish tastes much better than raised but turkey is not one of them IMO.

Maybe it's about the experience? Or people who aren't interested in birds chalk full of nasty hormones and who knows?

I've got the damned turkiez all over my farm. One guy comes and hunts them and gets one or two a year. I don't bother, tough nasty tasting things. I'd rather pay $25 to not get one. Was thinking it would be fun to lure a bunch of them into my box trailer, drive to Portland and drop the ramp in SE. Would be fun to watch what happens when all the Portlanders make pets out of them then have them eating the little gardens and pooping on the porch.

If course I jest. If you see it on the news, wasn't me! :rolleyes:

I would begrudgingly pay 25 dollars for a turkey tag if I had somewhere I thought I could fill it.
I won't eat the store stuff because the brine they use, if not directly injected into them, then still soaked and wrapped up with, to keep the them from drying out hurts my stomach. Wild, free range and heritage types and even broad breasted white if you can find them, not processed thusly do not. Consequently we don't eat much turkey because the broad breasted white is a bland bird preferring more dark meat, I don't often get wild birds and I don't want to pay the fee for the trendy heritage sort. (they use to be affordable until they became "trendy")
There are some weekend farmers selling "heritage" free range turkeys for $65.00 (and even more) for a twenty pounder. That makes $25.00 which includes way more fun hunting than shopping in the store, very affordable.
Of course the rub is: close, successful.
As a caveat; I am incensed that outdoor recreation across the board is fastly becoming available only for the financially fortunate with access only for the physically fit.

I find a special joy in turkey hunting on Thanksgiving morning. And I seem to do okay at it: IMGP0078.JPG
-

Personally, I love Wild Turkey, especially if it's properly smoked with mesquite wood. Creamed Baby Peas with Pearl Onions and Cornbread! Now that makes for Good Eats but at $25.00 a pop plus the cost of getting there just doesn't make sense to me. :):):)

How long do you smoke it and what is the temp I am thanking smoking the one I have.

I've got the damned turkiez all over my farm. One guy comes and hunts them and gets one or two a year. I don't bother, tough nasty tasting things. I'd rather pay $25 to not get one. Was thinking it would be fun to lure a bunch of them into my box trailer, drive to Portland and drop the ramp in SE. Would be fun to watch what happens when all the Portlanders make pets out of them then have them eating the little gardens and pooping on the porch.

If course I jest. If you see it on the news, wasn't me! :rolleyes:
If you need more help thinning I would like to get in on that conversation. We can talk about what the host would like as a gift as well.

Jeremy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads