JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a gen one in about the same condition,probably around 5000 rnds downer.I keep it in the glove box of my boat.Runs like a brand new Ferrari.I'd trust that beatup old glock more than MOST 1911's I've owned. GLOCKS ROCK!!

I would be very interested in knowing more about the 1911s everyone has owned that supposedly are unreliable. What type of malfunction? What, if any mods, on the weapon? What type of ammo used? I'm finding it really hard to swallow some of the claims posted here. And since there seems to be a real interest in stirring up debate, my opinion is that the reason Glock shooters don't like 1911s is because they have to underpower their loads due to the limp wrists....... Commence fire. :s0114::s0114:

Original contract to the austrian government, and worth every penny

Can you post a link to back up that assertion? Was that $40 the U.S. equivalent given the exchange rate of the day?

I will admit that my carry pistol is a Glock 27. It's the only Glock I own (can't afford any more than that), but I do NOT a drink the "Kool Ade" owner! Fact is it's the ONLY carry pistol I own, and is very accurate. The only other pistols I own is a .41 Magnum BlackHawk I bought in 1976 and an older .22 target revolver that a friend gave me.

If I had enough money I'd also own a couple of true 1911s. Love them too. No firearm is the "end-all be-all" and most are extremely reliable and accurate if taken care of. Glocks probably take less care with only five or six small drops of lube required, but cannot be made into the type of race gun a 1911 can be.

Fan boys of any stripe make laugh.

I would be very interested in knowing more about the 1911s everyone has owned that supposedly are unreliable. What type of malfunction? What, if any mods, on the weapon? What type of ammo used? I'm finding it really hard to swallow some of the claims posted here. And since there seems to be a real interest in stirring up debate, my opinion is that the reason Glock shooters don't like 1911s is because they have to underpower their loads due to the limp wrists....... Commence fire. :s0114::s0114:
:s0113::s0152::yes::s0166::peace::s0155::biglaugh::s0067:

My life depends on it, and I don't worry about Glock function, or if it is reliable. Our present 9mm military went through growing pains of cracked receivers and a bunch of other ills such as the FMJ rounds not being such a good man stopper. The cheap magazines are still a problem, and they are every bit as expensive to buy. Don't see a LEO discount. Even though I do a break in before I carry, out of the five Glocks I own, there has not been a malfunction with any of them. Two have drop in Lone Wolf barrels, and they were just that, a couple of minutes to swap out barrels. A caliber change to use 9mm for practice with a barrel swap, and a few 9mm magazines, try that with anything else. A Generation 4 new, seemed to have an usually hard trigger pull, went to the armor. Didn't measure the pull, just squeezed it off a couple of times. Smiled, and took the trigger assembly out of another new one, put into mine, and walla, good to go with a 5# pull. A matter of a few minutes. Even though it was marked for #5, it was most likely a New York heavier trigger. Same amount of time to upgrade the sights on another Glock, minutes. Don't know of any other handgun with these characteristics. I don't think other than S&W MP, police discounts are offered. At $425 police price, and I'm told that Glock will also give this discount to servicemen, reservists, and even volunteer firemen, and I think EMS people. Whats not to like, even if ya don't own one? Also cheapys that someone mentioned, even those beat pointing a finger and spouting BANG. Some with the proper ammo and care work very well, but may be on the weak side for caliber. I certainly never thought that I would be defending Glock, but it is what it is. A weapon or pistol that I can depend on under all conditions Hated the fact that lead or reloads void the warrenty, but don't seem to need repairs, and the aftermarket cut rifled barrels cure that pretty well!

I have to agree with Oohrah, the Glock folks seem to have it wired. I'm just counting myself lucky in that for over 43 years of shooting 1911s I have somehow managed to not get one of the junkers which always jam and can't shoot straight.

As a 1911 owner and a Glock owner I realize no gun (or ANY machine) is perfect. Everyone knows 1911s jam all the time and Glocks explode for no reason.:s0114:

I think one of the reasons 1911s have a reputation for jamming is that there are SO many different manufacturers, ranging from bottom dollar Filipino guns up to hand fitted (sky's the limit) custom guns. I've also seen a lot of 1911s assembled from left over parts. I suspect most of the bad experiences are with sub $700 guns. This probably contributes to the perceived lack of reliability. Glocks on the other hand are ALL built by GLOCK.

There are no 60 dollar Glocks available champ. He wants 60 dollars more than I paid for my brand new in the box with three mags Glock in 2009. While I might be "stupid", a "snob", "mean spirited" or "ignorant", I have to console myself with being LITERATE.

Relax, anytime you come close to insulting the great and almighty GLOCK, people are going to get edgy. It isn't you, Glock folks are very defensive when it comes to their precious. I don't see the collectability of such a utilitarian firearm, but then fifty years ago most didn't see the value in collecting M1's, 1911's, Winchester Model 94's, etc. Only time will tell I guess.

I have more than a couple 1911's. I lovem.The instruction manual for all of them say "must be cleaned and oiled regularly to function properly" ****...my glock really needs no oil or cleanig at all.In fact I could bury the thing,pull it from the ground,and still trust it more thany any of my 1911's.I practice/put a lot of rnds down range with my carry gun (my G32/23) and never worry about the rnd count at all. I cant say that for my 1911's.

If I liked the ergonomics of a glock I'd probably own one... that's about the only thing I don't like about them. They're like the F-150 of handguns. They always work, they're relatively inexpensive, they may not be the prettiest, they always work, they're easy to work on, they're easy to use, they always work... Noticing a trend here? :D

anyone making any claims about the reliability of his weapon needs to include round counts and maintenance history. TIME means nothing- since most gun owners don't put even 500 rounds through their sidearms every year.

photo.jpg

My 2nd generation (1st generation for the 19) G19 with no finger grooves. It was made in 1989 and in 1999 it was the first handgun I ever purchased. In 2001 it was stolen in a burglary and just a year and a half ago I got it back from TPD after they took it off of a crook. After a journey like that I can't get rid of this one. It's rough looking but I kinda like it like that!

photo.jpg

View attachment 22185

My 2nd generation (1st generation for the 19) G19 with no finger grooves. It was made in 1989 and in 1999 it was the first handgun I ever purchased. In 2001 it was stolen in a burglary and just a year and a half ago I got it back from TPD after they took it off of a crook. After a journey like that I can't get rid of this one. It's rough looking but I kinda like it like that!

****- that's not bad at all. it'd look worse with daily holster carry, in the same period of time. congrats on getting it back- i've known a couple people who've gotten their gun back after years, it's always very cool.

kia's are the BEST...i LOVE them...they start up every time i turn the key...they burn cheap gas, i don't have to buy premium...they get great gas mileage...super lightweight, they stop on a dime...sure they're ugly but they'll hold more passengers, they can seat seven (minivan)...oh yeah, and did i mention they're cheap?...kia's are the BEST

i dont know about the rest of you but i could care less about glocks of any kind. polymer is not what firearms are made of. firearms are made of steel and wood. i just cant come to grips with all the other crap they are making guns out of these days

p.o.s.

i dont know about the rest of you but i could care less about glocks of any kind. polymer is not what firearms are made of. firearms are made of steel and wood. i just cant come to grips with all the other crap they are making guns out of these days

Tell Nascar how crappy these polymers and plastics are. Go tell the bicycle industry that carbon fiber sucks. You know that space age crap they call teflon? I'll keep my cast iron skillet, pause for dramatic spit of the chew/wipe of the chin. And this hole forward pass thing they got now in the football, it's just a fluke, doesn't actually work or improve anything. Get me my 4 barrel carb to replace that darned new fangled electronic fuel injection.

Deal with it. Things change. Doesn't mean what we had was bad, just that we have something new that seems to have some attributes that the old did not. Just my opinion.

p.o.s.

Tell Nascar how crappy these polymers and plastics are. Go tell the bicycle industry that carbon fiber sucks. You know that space age crap they call teflon? I'll keep my cast iron skillet, pause for dramatic spit of the chew/wipe of the chin. And this hole forward pass thing they got now in the football, it's just a fluke, doesn't actually work or improve anything. Get me my 4 barrel carb to replace that darned new fangled electronic fuel injection.

Deal with it. Things change. Doesn't mean what we had was bad, just that we have something new that seems to have some attributes that the old did not. Just my opinion.

HEY NASCAR...YOU SUCK WITH YOUR STUPID POLYMERS!!! HEY BICYCLE LOSERS...CARBON FIBER SUCKS!!!! HEY PLASTICGUNFAN...YOUR GLOCK SUCKS!!!!! (personally i DO prefer my cast iron) :D

basicly todd i don't have a problem with humor just the type you wrote it reeks of pubescence and high school. And i believe your above that. secondly glocks are glocks a 1911 is a 1911. its like an ak 47 and an ar-15. the ak 47 and the glock will fire no matter what maybe not the most accurate but will fire dang near 100% of the time. ar-15 and a 1911 on the other hand if not lubricated properly and often jams will occur its just how it is. if your 1911 starts jamming drown it in oil. if it doesn't work take it back and get another one. My american classic commander 1911 is one of those low end guns picked it up for about 550 all said and done. about the price of a used glock 19. it works magnificently. you know why because i broke it in used reliable mags and oiled it until it dripped off of it. if i had to go into combat i would want a glock but for carry plinking just having fun and pure enjoying a firearm im content with my 1911.

I had one, it just didn't point correctly for my hand/wrist. Extra mags and internal guide rod laser. Got rid of it and got something I could point accurately.

If you like them, buy them, if you don't, then get something else!

8 former US Presidents have been NRA Members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

Originally Posted by Phillyfan

Seems to me the Glocks haven't made good use of tech advancements that design is old and they've had to be dragged kicking and screaming into making back straps. I want a glock that has tighter lock up and a contoured grip and I kinda liked the fish gills. why is it still so square???????

BTW I'm not a big time fan of the Glocks but I do own one again after a few year hiatus

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top