JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a friend who has been trying to peddle a "1st Gen" Glock 17 as if it had any value over any other worn to death old plastic gun. I'm just not seeing the value or desirability of an older Glock. Apparently, there are people who care out there some where. I'd put the gun in question at about 70% condition, it honestly looks like a crime scene pick-up. To me it is a solid $300 gun on a good day, this guy is thinking "rare" and $450 bucks. One of us is wrong.

Does anyone care? Are there any differences other than the grip texture between a Glock made in the 1980's and one made this year? I've owned several over the years and they were all equally uninteresting. Same lousy triggers, same marginal accuracy and cheap sights. The finish on the metal is about as nice as a Wal-Mart teflon coated cooking pan and wears about as well.

Now if you like Glocks, I'm really happy for you, they do are seem to run well with most ammo and hit where you aim for the most part. I've never had one be as difficult to run as a 1911. They just don't have the eye appeal of a early 1950's S&W for instance.

I do not like the looks of the 1st gen glocks... and I would never buy one... well maybe i would for a car gun... but I wouldnt pay no 450 for it.... you can get a new one for that if you look around

I dont get glocks cause I want a pretty gun... I get them cause they are damn reliable and for the price very good... if i wanted pretty Id get a Kimber or something of the sorts... and then i may complain about the finish getting messed up..

I havent had an issue with any of the finish on my glocks coming off... or looking crappy and I have had one of them for years and shot 1000's of rounds through it.. the only thing that showed wear was the barrel... and thats a given.. you must of gotten some knock off brand glock:p

1st gen (if it really is a 1st gen) can fetch up to 600 bucks to some. Some do consider it a collector piece. Would I pay over 500 for a used Glock? probably not. Then again, I wouldn't spend 2-3 grand on a gun just because it's a classic S&W or Colt. taste in looks is subjective. I'm sure there are plenty of things in world you would give your right arm for that most people wouldn't take a second look at.

I can see what you are trying to say here but comments like "does anyone actually care about a Glock" or "looks like a crime scene pick-up" makes you sound like a snob.

No offense, but the title for your thread makes you look stupid because people do "care" about Glocks.

Anyway, to the actual body of your post. Gen 1 Glocks can sell for a premium because they do not have the finger grooves. I have known a few guys who will not buy one of the new Glocks but they swear by their 1st gen. They have sausage fingers which are too big for the finger grooves. They will spend near new prices for a Gen 1 in near new condition.

If I had this issue, I could see four different options.
1. Buy a new Glock and deal with the poor fit.
2. Buy a new Glock and attempt to remove the finger grooves myself.
3. Buy a new Glock and pay more to have a professional remove the finger grooves.
or 4. Buy a Gen 1 Glock and likely spend less than a new one would cost me.

It sounds to me that you just don't see the value in any Glock, so you likely won't understand why someone would go to the trouble to buy a used Glock for a nice fit as opposed to buying a different firearm altogether. Your friend may be asking too much if his Glock is in the condition you say, but that's not to say it's only worth $300.

I have a gen one in about the same condition,probably around 5000 rnds downer.I keep it in the glove box of my boat.Runs like a brand new Ferrari.I'd trust that beatup old glock more than MOST 1911's I've owned. GLOCKS ROCK!!

1st gen (if it really is a 1st gen) can fetch up to 600 bucks to some. Some do consider it a collector piece. Would I pay over 500 for a used Glock? probably not. Then again, I wouldn't spend 2-3 grand on a gun just because it's a classic S&W or Colt. taste in looks is subjective. I'm sure there are plenty of things in world you would give your right arm for that most people wouldn't take a second look at.

I can see what you are trying to say here but comments like "does anyone actually care about a Glock" or "looks like a crime scene pick-up" makes you sound like a snob.

I guess you could say I'm a bit of a gun snob after 30 years of shooting, competition and collecting of firearms. I don't go crazy for a Bryco or Davis because the chrome shines nice, I won't buy a beaten to death pawn shop Glock for 60 bucks more than a new one and I prefer accurate and reliable guns most of all. Snob? I'd say no to that one. But my preference in firearms has narrowed over the years.

I know there are people out there collecting plates, Beanie Babies and spoons so it does not suprise me that people collect Glocks. To be in collector condition, I'd usually be thinking 90% plus condition and low round count. Calling this particular gun a collector's item is laughable. The condition is lousy at best and the gun itself actually smells like mildew.

I'm really happy to hear people "care" about them and suprised to find my I.Q. is in question because I do not find them attractive or accurate. A Glock is a pretty good gun, if it did not fit my hand, I'd just buy something else.

Last Edited:
Quite a few of the "senior" generation does not get the love of polymer (plastic) guns by many shooters. I'm from the post wood and metal generation and am quite comfortable w/ the looks of Glocks, Hks & AR15s. My 1st gun was a Remington Nylon 77 back when very few guns were made w/ space age materials. My 12 year old has no interest in my Garands but loves my Glocks & FNH PS90 & Hk SL8, it really is a generational thing. I personally like the looks of 3rd generation Glocks but do not care for the 1st, 2nd, 4th Gen & RTF guns.

Now as for comparing a Glock to a Bryco & Davis, well your just being mean spirited and/or ignorant. For the money it is very tough to find a more durable & reliable handgun than a Glock. You can sign me up for as many $60 pawn shop Glocks that you can find. Glocks can be as collectable as any other type of gun. I know a guy that is trying to collect every 9mm model that Glock has manufactured. 1st generation guns and rare models are sought after by Glock collectors. I have a new 3rd gen 17L that is very hard to find & quite collectable.

There are no 60 dollar Glocks available champ. He wants 60 dollars more than I paid for my brand new in the box with three mags Glock in 2009. While I might be "stupid", a "snob", "mean spirited" or "ignorant", I have to console myself with being LITERATE.

No I don't. Cheap gun and so many out there. As for being collectable I am not so sure about that. I don't care what someone likes as it is a personal preferance but I think they are one of the ugliest guns out there. They look like a 1x1 and that is it.

I just bought my first one and had it a total of 23 days and never fired it. LOL Then again, it is better than no gun.

i've never heard of any desirability to gen 1 glocks... the first generation were much more buggy than the subsequent 3 generations, including the questionable Gen 4s. generation 2, however, was rock solid, with design improvement and more ergonomically pleasing for many- so gen II glocks in good condition actually do seem to retain their value some, as there's actually a market of people actively seeking them. gen III will likely be the same... personally, i love the gen 3s, and will stick with them for as long as i can.

I guess you could say I'm a bit of a gun snob after 30 years of shooting, competition and collecting of firearms. I don't go crazy for a Bryco or Davis because the chrome shines nice, I won't buy a beaten to death pawn shop Glock for 60 bucks more than a new one and I prefer accurate and reliable guns most of all. Snob? I'd say no to that one. But my preference in firearms has narrowed over the years.

I know there are people out there collecting plates, Beanie Babies and spoons so it does not suprise me that people collect Glocks. To be in collector condition, I'd usually be thinking 90% plus condition and low round count. Calling this particular gun a collector's item is laughable. The condition is lousy at best and the gun itself actually smells like mildew.

I'm really happy to hear people "care" about them and suprised to find my I.Q. is in question because I do not find them attractive or accurate. A Glock is a pretty good gun, if it did not fit my hand, I'd just buy something else

that's fine if you don't think it's collector grade. I never said it was. if you don't like the asking price for the gun, don't buy it. no one is forcing you to buy a Glock. what everyone here is saying is that you make underhanded comments like "does anyone actually care about a Glock" or "looks like a crime scene pick-up" and you don't want to look like a snob? If you say so.

See that's the beauty of a glock.There is no need to care,they just function.They are a service weapon not a "looker".A indestructible non looker.
That cycles almost every load
That sure as he*ll hits what I want or need it to

I don't need to care about my glock.

And most used 17s should be around $400-450 in a store with no extras.

I have beautiful guns , they are great to look at , clean , and occasionally shoot . I own glocks . one of my 26's spends all day between my underwear and my slacks in a leather holster surrounded by too much of me . Not pretty , but it always goes bang and always functions perfectly ( for an underwear gun ) Safe queens are fun to have - but I depend on what I have the ultimate confidence in , I'll save the pretty looks for my wife .

I own several Glocks and like them, but wouldn't pay that much for a used Glock unless it was in 95% or better condition. Even "collector" items, especially firearms, are priced on condition unless they happen to be extremely rare.

I have a friend who has been trying to peddle a "1st Gen" Glock 17 as if it had any value over any other worn to death old plastic gun. I'm just not seeing the value or desirability of an older Glock. Apparently, there are people who care out there some where. I'd put the gun in question at about 70% condition, it honestly looks like a crime scene pick-up. To me it is a solid $300 gun on a good day, this guy is thinking "rare" and $450 bucks. One of us is wrong.

Does anyone care? Are there any differences other than the grip texture between a Glock made in the 1980's and one made this year? I've owned several over the years and they were all equally uninteresting. Same lousy triggers, same marginal accuracy and cheap sights. The finish on the metal is about as nice as a Wal-Mart teflon coated cooking pan and wears about as well.

Now if you like Glocks, I'm really happy for you, they do are seem to run well with most ammo and hit where you aim for the most part. I've never had one be as difficult to run as a 1911. They just don't have the eye appeal of a early 1950's S&W for instance.

Same marginal accuracy? Operator error, here..

The Gen 1 G17 I had in the 1980s.. I could bring a target back at full speed from the 25 yard line and by the time it came to the bench it would have 17 rounds in the 10 ring, all within a less than 2 inch group. Ammo? Fiocchi and S & B FMJ

For me beautiful is as beautiful does.. some folks don't like the look of bull mastiffs but at 1 AM when the glass is breaking, they are a beautiful thing to have laying nearby

I will take a Glock over a Colt any day simply because i can trust a Glock to fire every time. For me the beauty of Glocks is the reliability and functionality, every time i pull the trigger it goes BANG more than i can say for most Colts. I have 2 Glocks and paid $450 each and would do it again in a heartbeat, i will keep buying Gen 2 Glocks when i can as they are about the perfect defense pistol. accurate and reliable all the time. If you are getting marginal accuracy from your Glock you really need to learn to shoot.

I look at 1st gen glocks like a Zack Morris brick phone. Their good for a laugh.
I hated the feel of a brick in my hand, but their still dependable.
I will buy one for a camp gun or a truck gun for around 200-250 and I would still feel screwed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top