Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Does any body know anything about the RCBS starter kits from Bi-mart?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by jason97496, Mar 10, 2009.

1. jason97496

jason97496 Cottage Grove, Oregon Member

I would like to get started learning to reload. Bi-Mart has an RCBS starter kit. I think it is priced at $299. It looks, to the uneducated eye, like a good place to start.

What is your opinion?

Thank you

2. warnerwh

warnerwh Portland, OR Member

I don't know what press or what else is included. Odds are it is fine but you may be able to do better for the money. For that money I'd want a Rockchucker, any other press I'd call that price too high. You can put together what you need yourself and probably come out of it better. Let me know and I will help you.

3. bnr32gtr

bnr32gtr Vancouver, WA Member

It's a good kit and I'm considering it for myself. Do they actually have one in stock? If not, try Midway USA or Cabela's. Also, I know of a gentleman in the Federal Way area that carries a bunch of reloading stuff and I can see what he charges for one, since, I too, am considering this kit. Send me your info and I'll track down some hard numbers for you by the weekend.

4. jason97496

The Cottage Grove Bi-Mart has one of the kits. I do not have the money to buy it now. I am just doing research for the future.

5. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

I started out with an RCBS Rock Chucker that my dad passed on to me once he got his Dillon XL650 ( http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23803/catid/1/XL_650 ). I loved it when I used it, but I found myself running over to dads to use his.. LOL... I beleave it would be great for a beginer but if you are going to get serious about reloading. You might just want to save up for a Dillon.. Just being honest.

6. jason97496

I was telling my dad about this kit a week ago or so and he went and bought it a yesterday.

How long did it take for your dad to decide to upgrade?

7. BUZO71

BUZO71 Emerald Valley, Oregon New Member

I know Philomath Guns has a bunch of presses, kits, etc. They are close in price to Bi-mart.

8. Redrum

Redrum Portlandia Active Member

9. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

The kits they have at BiMart are the Rock Chucker Master reloader supreme kits if that helps the description any. I am also interested in this kit.

10. Brandon44647

Brandon44647 Portland Member

I bought this kit about 6 months ago, It's my first one so I really don't have anything to compare it to. I'm pretty happy with it, but you will need to also purchase a case length trimmer & a good set of calipers for checking length, it does not come with it. I also went with a electronic scale , I found the mechanical one it came with to be very inconsistent. Recently I have been seeing all the major press manfacturers with product back on the shelf. I was in Wholesale Sports just yesterday and saw several from Lyman, Hornady as well as RCBS.

11. jquirit

jquirit Forest Grove, OR Member

Just checked the BiMart ad in the newspaper and this particular package is going on sale for $269 (saving $30). I have no experience with this package, but wanted to pass on this info if you're still looking at it.

12. jmh119

jmh119 Hillsboro, Oregon Member

I bought this kit and have been satisfied so far, but don't have anything to reference it against. In addition to the case trimmer previously mentioned, you will also need to buy your individual die sets and bullet seats. That last may seem obvious to many, but when i originally bought mine, I did not realize that I also needed the bullet seats! Extra trip to the store!
    James

13. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

RCBS ?
    They have excellent customer service :thumbup:
    I'm not familiar with the kit at Bi-mart, but the RCBS reloading stuff I have works great.

14. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with an RCBS Rockchucker. With the kit, you might want to consider up grading the scale, but the one in the kit works fine. Your next purchase should be a good case tumbler. Consider a Lyman Turbo Tumbler of some sort.

15. CrossHairs

CrossHairs Tigard Active Member

I got that kit from elsewhere recently and am very happy with it...like it was mentioned, you will need to get a case trimer, but I think the kit and I will have a long and happy relationship...until it finds out that I have been using a progressive on the side and hits me upside the head with a golf club!!!!

16. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I've been very happy with the Lee die sets. They are three die sets and include the bullet seating/crimping die. All of their pistol die sets have carbide sizing dies. They also sell a separate crimp die if you prefer to use 4 dies - you just back off the crimp combo and don't use it. The crimp dies are about $11 each I think.

17. codeman583

codeman583 Central OR Member

the RCBS kit at Bimart is the Rockchucker, and a pretty good deal for the money at that... unless your able to trade into a setup that would be a good place to start.

18. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I have heard that Dillon makes the best press, but RCBS is second and totally acceptable for years of use. I think you'll find the Rockchucker to be adequate for all of you reloading.

19. JohnH

JohnH Milwaukie Active Member

I think this a great kit to get anyone started! Just add dies, powder, primers, brass and some bullets and you can be loading ammo.
    The Rockchucker is a nice press (IMHO)
    Plus I have had several occasions to use RCBS customer service and they are great!

PS: If you are still looking for one:
    http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19912

shameless plug.....

20. Bigbaddude

Bigbaddude West linn Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Where is the cheapest place to buy a Dillon press?

Thanks