JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No they don't. I wish Toyota would work with the Hilo diesel. They wouldnt get 60-65k from me though. Im done paying 50k for a pickup.
Question. Was the 7.3 ford motor as good as a cummins? People seem to think there even at least.

There is no question the 7.3L was a good motor. My dad has a 2001 F250 with a 7.3L that currently has 366,000 on it. It has never had any major motor work done. He kept it but this last year he bought a new 2014 F350 with the 6.7L . I cant see that there is any hope of his new $55K truck being as good as his 14 year old one. The maintenance costs for the 7.3L he has have been ridiculously insignificant. As far as the motor goes he has basically changed the oil and it had one set of injectors.

On the other hand my 6.0L had over $12K worth of work done to it while it was under warranty and I have spent at least another $5K. Motor has been out of the truck several times.

Since I got it all squared around it has been real solid though. The last 70K miles I have not had a lick of problems.

truck.jpg

There is no question the 7.3L was a good motor. My dad has a 2001 F250 with a 7.3L that currently has 366,000 on it. It has never had any major motor work done. He kept it but this last year he bought a new 2014 F350 with the 6.7L . I cant see that there is any hope of his new $55K truck being as good as his 14 year old one. The maintenance costs for the 7.3L he has have been ridiculously insignificant. As far as the motor goes he has basically changed the oil and it had one set of injectors.

On the other hand my 6.0L had over $12K worth of work done to it while it was under warranty and I have spent at least another $5K. Motor has been out of the truck several times.

Since I got it all squared around it has been real solid though. The last 70K miles I have not had a lick of problems.

View attachment 223042
I would take that pickup and shove it up henry fords butt. Thats just BS.

Ive had the truck 10 years, The first 3 or so is when I had all the problems. When I heard that Ford was coming out with a new motor in 2008 I decided when they hit the lots I would get rid of this and buy a new one. When they started showing up at the dealer I went down and picked out one that was basically just like the current truck, same options and set up. When it came right down too it they wanted my truck (which I had paid $33K for 3.5 years earlier) plus $25 grand. Basically it would have cost me $25 grand just to have the new motor. I said to hell with that, I can do a lot of fixin for $25 grand. Honestly ever since then its been a good rig. The 6.0L motor had some issues that had nothing to do with the mechanical soundness of the motor (well, it had head studs that were too weak, if you wanted to call that mechanical) Once you fix those issues there is nothing wrong with it. I plan of driving this rig another 10 years, You have to drive them 20 years to justify the cost.

I was told that real diesel engines don't use glow plugs.
False.
- indirect injection and/or pre-combustion chamber diesels <snip>
I'm pretty sure that's an old joke/comment leftover from the days of the 2-stroke GMCs Heretic.
Often heard when the bench-racing debate got going between truck owners.
"Screamin' Jimmys" don't need no stinking glow plugs!!!"

All in good fun.

I'm pretty sure that's an old joke/comment leftover from the days of the 2-stroke GMCs Heretic.
Often heard when the bench-racing debate got going between truck owners.
"Screamin' Jimmys" don't need no stinking glow plugs!!!"

All in good fun.

oh.

You would think I would know that since those are the diesels I used to work on (I can still set the rack on a 6-71), and we even raced them (the boats - in the USCG), once in a while - the lighter boat always won.

oh.

You would think I would know that since those are the diesels I used to work on (I can still set the rack on a 6-71), and we even raced them (the boats - in the USCG), once in a while - the lighter boat always won.
They are still some of my favorite engines.
Nothing like an 8V-92T tuned up in OO config for making torque.
Or a 6V53T spun up to redline, turbos howling at full song.

I'm also a guy that would stand and listen to an engine running, staring at the motor and the exhaust!

I googled the the 6V53T and some stuff came up. Were you say this is a 2-stroke diesel?

I've been in a ford power stroke that was chipped, custom exhast all the bells and whistles when in got smoked by a dodge 6 speed with an inline V6.

They are still some of my favorite engines.
Nothing like an 8V-92T tuned up in OO config for making torque.
Or a 6V53T spun up to redline, turbos howling at full song.
I can still hear them a screamin' across the job sight in the older rollers and fork lifts.
Heck if you were a mile away you could tell when they were starting up

I'm also a guy that would stand and listen to an engine running, staring at the motor and the exhaust!

I googled the the 6V53T and some stuff came up. Were you say this is a 2-stroke diesel?
Yes, the older DD/GM diesels with the superchargers were two strokes.

No, they didn't sound like two stroke dirt bikes, but they do sound different from some four stroke diesels. Most Detroit Diesels today are four stroke. On-road diesels today have to meet emissions regs, even if they are in a large truck.

Yup, they are, All of the old Detroit/GMC diesels (Jimmys) were 2 strokes.
They use a roots type blower to provide manifold pressure to charge the cylinders through ports in the cylinder walls and scavenged the exhaust through 4 exhaust valves in the head.
The injectors were actuated via cam lobes, and throttled via "the rack" that The Heretic wrote about in post #45.
There were three basic series, designated by how many cu/in per cylinder. They were the 53 series, the 71 series and the 92 series.
So the 6V53 is a 6 cylinder, V design of 53 cu/in per cyl, or 318 Cu/in.
They were available in 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 or 12 cylinders. Any of them with a "T" designation means they are also turbocharged. "TT" means twin turbos.

They were the preferred engines for fire trucks and hospital emergency gensets because the blower heats the air as it compresses it for cylinder charging, and warm up time is nil for decent power output. Thus they don't require a manifold heater and/or glow plugs.

They are absolutely awesome engines when tuned right. The amount of power that can be made with one, without electronics of any kind, is impressive to say the least.
Most would not believe what can be done with an 8V92TT. It is truly an amazing piece of machinery.

I've been in a ford power stroke that was chipped, custom exhast all the bells and whistles when in got smoked by a dodge 6 speed with an inline V6.

That's a rare engine now!

I guess this thread wouldn't be complete without my contribution...;)

I am a Cummins fan boy. I have bought, Built, used, abused and sold them. I have swapped them into places they didn't belong....Love them and will never argue the older ones (lets say pre 6.7 but really love the 12 valve ones) are the best Diesel engine available.

With that said, I think all the new government molested ones are generally crap. I want to buy a new diesel pickup and have NO idea which way I'd go.

Last year I went to buy a good used Cummins Dodge, I came home with what I swore I'd never let sit in my driveway... A 2005 Ford F350 with the peach 6.0L. The prices for a comparable Dodge was just about double. I couldn't do it. I love this Ford, Yep already spent 2.5 hours and 880.00 under the hood and she runs like a champ now. I might spring for a Cummins conversion in the future.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top