Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Dodge Cummins or Ford Powerstroke

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Oregonhunter5, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

2011 or newer. I've been driving tundras for years. Had 3. I am ready for a diesel at some point down the road. I will be just pulling heavy loads of firewood and property projects. I think the Fords are built better, better fit and finish, but the cummins has a better motor. Any opionions out there?

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

I like my Dodge, it rides good and never lacks power. Can't really say how long they last cause I bought mine new in 03 and it only has 33k on it. Bought it with the idea of towing a trailer when I retired but wife died and I never bought the trailer. o_O It gets great fuel mileage but only use it for long trips, don't want to ruin it with city stop and go.

Run fuel treatment with it since they changed the sulfer content on fuel. Have a hundred gallon L tank in the back that give me tremendous range. Get a better stereo than I got :D

Edited to add I ran Fords for a few years and repairs were running me $2,000 a year. All kinds of bad stuff would happen, roof liner would fall out. Door windows were electric and the aluminium wore out and wouldn't work the windows. Had a problem with the dimmer switch that sometimes you would click it and your lights would go out, interesting at 70mph.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  3. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

I have no experience with the 11. I owned an 02 Dodge cummins 2500 and had zero issues with the engine. Traded it in on the 06 2500 that I still own and have had zero issues with the engine. I haul a trailer and haul fire wood without issue. Ford does have a nicer cab IMO.

4. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

A ford with the 6.7 liter diesel would work nicely, the brother in law has a 13 and it is pretty nice. I'm a little old school with a 01 ford 7.3 that just broke 100,000 miles and has been awesome.

The 5.9 Cummins are certainly good motors .

5. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Cummins is the better engine, Ford the better truck (IMO). Too bad you can't get a Ford with a Cummins (you can, I think, if you go up to an F650, but then that is too large for most people).

jluck and IronMonster like this.
  6. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I have a 2004 F250 with the 6.0L and a 2008 F450 with the 6.4L Personally I think the 6.0L got a bad rap. They had some major issues in the 2003-2005 year range caused by emissions crap that never should have been on the motor to begin with. I was told by my Ford dealer diesel mechanic buddy that the 06 and 07 6.0L trucks had the fewest warranty claims out of any motor ever put in a F250, including the 7.3L

I did the upgrade stuff to my 04 and it has ran well since, It did cost some money. I think I spent around $3500 having all the preventive stuff done. I have owned the truck 10 years at this point though and from a overall stand point its been a great rig. I honestly expect to have it another 10 years and would be surprised if I have any major issues.

My dad has a 2014 6.7L F350. It is a great truck, but you could buy four or five good 6.0L trucks for what it cost.

The Cummins is a great motor and the Dodge trucks have continued to improve. Back in the late 90's early 2000's the trucks where just junk (Dodge owners will tell you otherwise, the only thing I can figure is they did not have any thing to compare it too) Today I think they build a pretty good truck. Actually I think Ford, Chevy and Dodge all have a pretty good truck. They all have their issues and none is a clear leader like the days of the 7.3L Ford

7. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ford as long as it is the 7.3, they are getting pretty rare. I owned one of those and put 100K on it and maybe $ 1,500 in repairs.

I also owned a 6.0 liter in a 2003 F 350 and that m******** truck cost me over $ 7,000 in repairs. The same engine that was in thousands of E 350 ambulances that cost their owners millions to repair and spurred the class action lawsuit where I actually go some money back.

There are a ton of variations out there, my bro in law has a 2010 Chev diesel with he Allison transmission. Seems to be a pretty decent truck. I would have to be towing a lot to justify owning a diesel again. Give me a Ford 460 gas with a 5 or 6 speed manual and I am good to go. The cost of ownership is just so high on those vehicles. I can put a lot of gas versus the diesels being in the shop to the tune of $ 2,000 each time.

8. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

It's been a lot of years since my Dodge was new, but...

When I was trying to decide between the Powerstroke and the Cummins, what made the decision for me was when I popped the hood of the Ford, and all I could see was a never ending nightmare of tubing and hoses and shrouds. When I popped the hood on my Dodge, all I could see was the engine.:cool:

WAYNO.

Sabertooth likes this.
  9. IronMonster

There are rumors of a Toyota diesel engine

10. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

Nissan will be putting 5.0 V8 Cummins TD in the 2016 Titan. I have a 2005 Titan and love the truck. Its had no major issues that weren't covered by a FSB that billed Nissan for the repair. Even then there were only 2 in the 8 years I have had it. The interior quality and amenities are much better than what the big 3 US automakers put out in their trucks, plus they are designed and assembled here in the US. I will definitely be keeping an eye on these when they come out. I am not in the market for a new truck, but it would be one of the first ones I looked at if I were.

http://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/2016-titan/

11. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

Dodge 350 dually 4x4 with Cummings - 235,000 miles an still going. I have two large trailers I haul around with it. 25 foot goose-neck equipment trailer,20,000 gvw an a 30 foot 5th wheel travel trailer, then there is the 20 foot cabin cruiser boat. By the way my Dodge is not pampered except for a full service every 5000 miles. Figure I have another 100,000 miles left until I better think about a new motor.

12. OregonJohn

OregonJohn Sutherlin, Or Bronze Life Member #1 Lifetime Supporter

Dodge 3500 single rear tires. Long bed, 6-speed, 5.9 HO. Running 210,000 miles with the factory original clutch. Best money I ever spent. If you are going to use your truck, I think the manual trans is the only way to go. Too many problems this the autos in all but the allison offered in a chevy/GMC. If you can find a 03-04.5 in a Dodge with a six speed, it might out last you. You should be able to get one for under $25K if you look hard. I have looked at the new stuff. I will keep my old stuff.

Jamie6.5 likes this.
  13. The Heretic

I can't speak to the later models, but I do own a '97 Dodge 4x4 with a Cummins. They do have their problems (the front suspension and steering, the the manual transmissions) in those years but they aren't junk. The Fords are a better truck, but the Cummins is a better engine - more than one Ford or Chevy owner has swapped in a Cummins for the existing diesel in their trucks, and that is not a cheap easy thing to do. You don't see any Ford or Chevy diesels being swapped into a Dodge.

14. The Heretic

All manufacturers have diesels in their trucks and SUVs - but they usually don't import them to the USA due to the extra emissions restrictions and the general market for diesel vehicles here. I wish it weren't so, but that is the reality.

15. Gascan

Gascan Vancouver, Not B.C. New Member

Actually, it's been confirmed that the Tundra will be equipped with a Cummins Diesel engine for the U.S. market. 2016 model if I'm not mistaken. Seems like a win-win.

16. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

The newest'15 Ford 6.7 is supposed to be a "Cummings Killer" but I think time will tell, and that is the very newest one. Not likely out used yet.

Newer Ram pickups have upgraded the cab and the ride, they have coil springs in the rear. Personally I have a '12 F-150 crewcab with the Ecoboost engine. It is faster than my 89 5.0 Mustang, diesel like torque, and a thirst for gas if you use your right foot. Not really an economy engine.

I had a 84 250 with 6.9 Diesel that was more economical than my 2012. Did not smoke and could pull a stump in compound gear, could not pull a load up a highway hill without downshifting. I understood and lived with it's shortcomings. My wife wanted a automatic or I would have it still.

17. Lars

Lars Clackamas Active Member

Ford will be faster. There is a reason Ford puts the Cummins in their medium duty trucks over the powerstroke. I have a '11 dodge, nice truck but thin skin. Each one has it's pluses and minuses.

jluck likes this.
  18. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

I think the tundra deisel will be to much money. im guessing loaded it will be 60k.
    for a 1/2 ton thats crazy. theres not a truck company out there that competes with toyota fit and finish. Ive spent zero dollars on fixes with all of mine. nissan are lemons way more often. head gaskets.

19. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Which rig is made in America? I know my dog was made in another country but my Toyota was made here.... who woulda thunk it?

20. IronMonster

I have been a Toyota fan boy for a long time, I have owned 10 toyota trucks. The last good one I bought was a brand new 2003. I know have a 2010 Tacoma (my wifes truck) that is the first one I have ever bought that I dont like. I personally think the 2003 was a far better rig.

I have never owned a Tundra and unless Toyota builds a 1 ton I probably will never buy one of their diesels. But the idea is appealing. I probably would have bought this last Tacoma in a diesel if they offered it and it was not a ridiculous premium over the V6. Our Tacoma is a 4 door long bed 4 x 4. It gets about 16 MPG around town, Not as good as many full size pickups. It also feels really small for such a large truck. The 2003 was smaller but felt bigger inside. My biggest complaint is its just not comphy to be in. I am a pretty big guy and I have always been ok in Toyota's, but I am not a fan of this one.