JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
All equipment requires periodic preventive maintenance and occasional repair for one reason or another. I own four Ford product vehicles and there are things they might need that I cannot or choose not to do. Some things I do for myself. I have two vehicles that are up for routine periodic work, to wit, automatic transmission service. Which I used to do, but doing it at home is messy, fluid can't always be replaced 100%, ATC from the store is expensive by the quart anyway, etc, etc.

Today I was in the neighborhood of the Ford store, so I decided to stop in and do some groundwork. Such as, asking if they still gave a 10% senior citizen discount on work performed. Which they have done in the past but I haven't been in there since pre-Covid. The answer to that one was, "10% discount up to $100 ceiling on work done."

Then I came to a few questions of a semi-technical nature. Which the representative couldn't answer without going out to ask someone else whom I didn't see. But someone in the shop. Three times.

I resent this lack of product expertise. I have personal knowledge of how all this used to work. The dealer employee you talk to when you first enter the service department is now called a "service advisor." Many years ago, they used to be called "service writers" (because they "wrote up" your repair order) or "service salesmen." I believe Ford started calling them service advisors in the 1970's. I will use the term I'm most familiar with, service writer. My experience with people in this position in times past, some not so distant, was that they were people who knew about the product. Some had worked previously in the shop. They had technical knowledge on some level.

My experience the past few times I've been in this Ford dealer service department is that the service writers were younger men and women and the ones I have talked to basically don't know all that much about automobiles. I will be a little cruel and say, when the K-Mart store down the street closed, a few of the discharged clerks there walked up the street to the Ford store and got hired as service writers.

Without going into details, I have a lot of past experience with the workings of Ford service departments back inside the shop. But none lately as I am no longer employed nor do I have any connections with any shops. All I know is that I am a bit reluctant to take my vehicles into a Ford store. Because enough times when I've gotten my vehicle back, I've later discovered stripped threads, missing parts, and over- or under-torqued fasteners. A situation that has caused me to go back to doing more and more of my own work after previously deciding to quit doing such things and just spend my money. Another thing I resent is spending my money on work that isn't properly done.

Wait until you go in for some simple computer update (warrantee work) and they come back with "Your oil was low and needs changing."

Huh? I just did that last week? WTF?

Wait.....that happened to me at a Toyota Dealership here in Vancouver. F them and the horse they rode in on. They are NEVER getting my business.

Aloha, Mark

I had a similar experience with an independent shop a few years ago. The difference was that the service writer didn't want to go ask the mechanic. And now my favorite shop is closed. We'll see if I can find competent service again in a few weeks.

Those "service writers" are shady, get a commission on extras they sell you. Sometimes the "technician" does, too. You'll never, not once, bring a vehicle to a dealer and not have overpriced upsell attempts. I used to work at a Ford dealer myself and the slimy for-profit nature of it all left me feeling dirty at the end up the day, moreso than the actual dirt and definitely got me to trust very few "professional" anythings. I'm my own roofer, plumber, electrician, mechanic, mason you name it. You're spot on with your observations

Not all dealer service departments are equal. The guys at my Toyota dealership are excellent. Heck, there are a couple of them that are still there that used to service my mom's car back in the day.

Maybe try another dealership and see if you have better luck. Alternatively there's no reason to be paying dealership prices if the work isn't excellent.

The independent shop I use has been, and still is great. Always wash the car before I pick it up, and they even call me a a couple of days after I pick it up to make sure all is well. The shop is also spotlessly clean and tidy.
Only complaint lately is I had to wait 10 days to get in cuz they've been busy (they have 8 bays). I had told them It wasn't urgent so I didn't mind though.

Those "service writers" are shady, get a commission on extras they sell you.
Like any other setting, they're not all crooks. With respect to sharp business practices, there are good ones and bad ones. I've known some good ones way in the past, experienced men who were deep in the business. Who cared about their customers, had old ladies whose cars they had taken care of for years, who always asked for them personally when they came in. At Christmas, they got a ton of liquor bottle gifts.

Yes, service writers for some time typically work part salary, part commish. Being real, any time commish is involved there is the danger of over-selling. That's where personal integrity gets involved.

Maybe try another dealership and see if you have better luck.
And of course all dealers are not the same, nor operate to the same ethic. There are high-binders; then there are some dealers owned by large corporations who own many franchises and are controlled by a central office somewhere; and there are still some dealers around that are family-owned, locally oriented.

I happen to live between two Ford franchises, not real close to either one. For years, I took my business to one, was very happy with the service writer who had my account. Their shop work suffered some quality issues. Then my long-time writer left, went north to Anacortes and that's just too far to go for service. At that point, I decided to change to the other dealer to the south of me. I went down there one day, trooped the line of all the service writers, and picked out the oldest male I could find. Who talked the talk so I took one of the cars in to him. A couple of days later when I came to pick up the finished car, one part was missing and another was falling off. Not impressive. Then the Covid thing came along and I'm just now trying to catch up with a few things.

Service dept. back end. I've read that there is a nation-wide shortage of what we used to call mechanics. Now called "auto repair technicians." I suppose there are a number of reasons for it and can think of a few. So as with any labor shortage, there are going to be people floating around in the remainder who are less than qualified yet are able to be hired. As I've said previously in this thread, to my own knowledge, some have done sub-standard work that I've paid for. I always wonder just how much bad work goes out the door that nobody ever knows about. Until a wheel falls off.

We used to suspect that the less qualified mechanics got hired on at Sear Auto Centers but I'm starting to think it's way more widespread than that now.

Wait until you go in for some simple computer update (warrantee work)
One of my cars is a 2004. I bought this one new. All the lights on the car go through a device called the Lighting Control Module, or LCM. In 04, evidently the vendor contracted to make the LCM for Ford made some bad ones. Which caused some incidents where people driving down the freeway at night lost their lights and crashed. Not many, but enough to interest the NTSB. Ford fought a voluntary recall on this for years. Finally, just a few years ago, Ford was ordered by the NTSB to issue a mandatory recall for this LCM and replace it on all the affected 04's. Which of course by now had dwindled to a fairly small number due to natural product attrition. So by fighting this order for years, Ford was able to greatly reduce the number of recalls to pay for under warranty.

Anyway, my car never gave me any problems with the lighting. I got the letter from Ford, it took them nearly a year to get the parts in, then I scheduled my 04 to go to the dealer I've mentioned in the OP. I left my car for the recall warranty work and they gave me a loaner. Two weeks later, they called me and said it was ready. I went down to pick it up, never got off the lot. Because I checked all the lights before leaving, just to make sure they all worked. They didn't. I gave the car back to them, they gave me another loaner, and had the car for another week. When I got the car back that time, everything worked but it had taken a long time altogether. The LCM is only a little box with wires, near the steering column, on the surface doesn't seem like it should've been that tough.

What I learned was this. The mechanics, or "techs" don't know everything; there is a lot to know about modern cars when it comes to electrics and electronics, among other things. So when they get a repair to do, they may never have done it before, don't know how to do it, so Ford had a corporate only tech assistance telephone line. The dealer tech calls a factory tech, who looks up the issue on the computer, then tells the dealer tech to "try this." And if that doesn't work, they have to call back to find out what the next possible solution is. And repeat, as necessary. But they have to wait in a phone queue, in turn. So getting to the correct solution can take some time. Or something like that.

You guys think you got it bad, try the Caterpillar dealers! If it's Yellow, it cost a fortune! I have been lucky so far, they don't try taking advantage of me, and don't try "Fixing" stuff that ain't broke! My last repair was a set of 8 fuel injectors on my 3408 that cost $800 each plus labor which they discounted, then the charge for Dyno time which they also discounted! I wish the video was better, you should hear a 3408 on strait stacks at full power on the Dyno, the ground was literally shaking and the whole place stood still listening to the glorious sound of that big cat ripping tires off the rims!

My two Mopar dealers here are hit and miss, the closer one does a good job IF you get one of the senior techs and the servises writer isn't one of the know-it-alls who knows nothing. The other Dodge dealer is awesome, but the wait can be exasperating, especially since the Covid, suddenly everyone is taking their rigs in to get work done, and even an emergency will take several days before they can even get it in for a look! Still, both do a great job, don't charge for stuff I don't want or need and are reasonable for normal servises!

I also know the one Chevy dealer here is a good one, the guys know what their doing and treat you fair, do a good job, make things right, and don't charge extra for stuff you don't need!

Dodge dealer here in the 'cove isn't my favorite. Took my Ram in for rear axel oil change. Asked them to do a thorough inspection because of problems in the past. After service they said all looked ok, but it needed new brakes on the rear ASAP. Short time later more noise from the rear axel. I took it to a different shop for the rebuild. They said it looked like the last service never cleaned it out properly before refilling with oil. I did my own brake job, 25k mile later.

Last Edited:
You guys think you got it bad, try the Caterpillar dealers! If it's Yellow, it cost a fortune! I have been lucky so far, they don't try taking advantage of me, and don't try "Fixing" stuff that ain't broke! My last repair was a set of 8 fuel injectors on my 3408 that cost $800 each plus labor which they discounted, then the charge for Dyno time which they also discounted! I wish the video was better, you should hear a 3408 on strait stacks at full power on the Dyno, the ground was literally shaking and the whole place stood still listening to the glorious sound of that big cat ripping tires off the rims!

My two Mopar dealers here are hit and miss, the closer one does a good job IF you get one of the senior techs and the servises writer isn't one of the know-it-alls who knows nothing. The other Dodge dealer is awesome, but the wait can be exasperating, especially since the Covid, suddenly everyone is taking their rigs in to get work done, and even an emergency will take several days before they can even get it in for a look! Still, both do a great job, don't charge for stuff I don't want or need and are reasonable for normal servises!

I also know the one Chevy dealer here is a good one, the guys know what their doing and treat you fair, do a good job, make things right, and don't charge extra for stuff you don't need!
Is that Cat in a Pete?

Nope, Pacific P12!
A beast!

Here's my favorite. A snow mod.

Click to enlarge
pacific-p12-army-truck-v1-0-2-mod-1.png

I was telling a friend how badass a Nodwell is in snow or sand and he was like pftttt, P12! :D
You just don't want to get one stuck ( ask me how I know ;) ) your not getting it out easy!

This is a P-16 vs my P-12, same drive train and configuration, just not the super ultra heavy planetary drive axles, I left those in Canada when I bought the truck! The only real difference between the P-12 and up is if it has the off set cab or not, and the size of the water/head ache tank/cab guard!

One of our work trucks is back in to the local Ford dealer for the fourth time to fix the same issue. Cost closer to $4500 the first time, still making the noise (loud enough to make traffic look) but at least running on all cylinders. The next two times they said everything is in spec, LOL. Now this time it had to be towed in for the same cam phaser issue. This dealer is the same one who sold me a new set of $1900 tires to fix my vibration problem of my OE tires. That didn't fix it at all, in fact made it far worse. They also said "it's in spec". I would difficulty NOT recommend taking your Ford to a dealer south of Wilsonville but north of Salem. As Forrest Gump would say, that's all I have to say about that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top