JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kind of ironic, Ford owns Cummins yet doesn't put one in it's light tucks. Must be a long time contractual deal with Dodge before Ford bought stock in Cummins.

That's because Ford *doesn't* own Cummins, never had more than 10% stake, and hasn't held any shares for almost 20 years.

Be careful what you believe just because heard it from somebody who heard it from somebody.

As far as trucks are concerned, I have always been a diehard Ford guy and I will never own anything else, if I was in a pinch I may own an older Dodge but NEVER a Chevy or Toyota!!!!

A Cummins is what you get after you been POWERSTROKED!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:;)

Fords are not bad as long as you have lots of money for repairs.:D I only have one friend that owns a Ford but he never goes anywhere so it's all good for him.:D

Edited to add

Not everything is bad about a Ford, the Ford fitness program has kept many Americans in good shape. All that loading and unloading tools and grunt work keeping them going plus all the walking when they die has kept many Americans in fine shape.:s0140:

Last Edited:
My cummins had 220k on it and had 50lbs oil pressure still,before the back of that semi came thru the hood.
The problem with Dodge is the front suspension.You need to change ball joints on it more than the others,unless you buy high dollars aftermarket. Interior kinda falls apart,little by little.too. And the lift pumps suck,or should I say don't suck?
Ford is fine as long as you have a straight axle up front.Or did they fix the forditis that wore out the front tire double time?
I was always a Ford guy and always wanted the Cummins but I'm a Chevy man now.
I moved away from RV life so a diesel isn't necessary any more. They aren't cheaper cause the fuel makes them about the same cost per mile as a big gas truck. I do believe,as long as it isn't a 6 liter ford,that the diesels do last way longer than the gas engines. So if you keep your vehicles a long time and haul heavy loads a lot,diesel is the way to go.
The Duramax started life as a Isuzu.I have ran many a big machine with huge Isuzus in them without any problems.The problem was supposed chevy engineering after the fact . I would still buy one if I needed a heavy hauler.
I have wrecked 2 Dodge Cummins trucks,so I won't be buying either for a long time
I think I'm going to try a pop top wrangler 4dr

I was told that real diesel engines don't use glow plugs.
False.

Generally it depends on the design of the combustion chamber - indirect injection and/or pre-combustion chamber diesels may use glow plugs in the combustion chamber, but if the ambient temp is sufficient then use of them is not necessary.

Some diesels have a combustion chamber that does not require or allow for glow plugs. These typically use a different way of heating the intake air; my Cummins uses an intake grid heater. I have started the engine without the heater in temps below 20* F, which is pretty much as cold as it gets on the Wetside in the winter. The engine started right away, but I had to keep my foot slightly on the throttle for it to idle until it warmed up.

The academic definition of a diesel engine is one that uses compression to ignite the fuel air mixture and does not require a spark to ignite the mixture.

GLow plugs and intake heaters do not provide a spark; they heat the intake air so that in cold temps it is easier for the engine to start. Once started the air does not need to be heated any more.

If you have sufficient battery power or a long enough hill or someone can push/pull you for long enough, i.e., if you can turn the engine over for long enough to heat the combustion chamber air, you don't even need a glow plug or intake heater, and even then, only need it during fairly cold temps (well below freezing, generally below 0*F).

The problem with Dodge is the front suspension.You need to change ball joints on it more than the others,unless you buy high dollars aftermarket. Interior kinda falls apart,little by little.too. And the lift pumps suck,or should I say don't suck?

The earlier models, like before the mid 2000s, needed the front end treatments, the suspension, front axle and the steering box more than later models. You put all of those together and the trucks tend to wander. There are cures, but they tend to get expensive, along with the unit bearings (the front axle bearing on the 4x4s are replaced as whole units, which are at least $300 to $400 each side IIRC). Then there is the CAD (Center Axle Disconnect) which some people remove and replace with conventional hubs.

All of that together, you can wind up spending $3K to $5K on the front end.

The lift pumps, generally the later electric lift pumps seem to be the ones with problems. The mechanical ones (like mine) work fine as far as I know, and are easier to replace. They are like any other fuel pump more or less.

The earlier models, like before the mid 2000s, needed the front end treatments, the suspension, front axle and the steering box more than later models. You put all of those together and the trucks tend to wander. There are cures, but they tend to get expensive, along with the unit bearings (the front axle bearing on the 4x4s are replaced as whole units, which are at least $300 to $400 each side IIRC). Then there is the CAD (Center Axle Disconnect) which some people remove and replace with conventional hubs.

All of that together, you can wind up spending $3K to $5K on the front end.

The lift pumps, generally the later electric lift pumps seem to be the ones with problems. The mechanical ones (like mine) work fine as far as I know, and are easier to replace. They are like any other fuel pump more or less.
But still what a pain and a joke. This isn't 1955 anymore. Pickups this day and age, or with pickups like Toyota not having any issues, this is why people shy away from American made pickups.

It is what it is.

Toyota doesn't make a "one ton" truck with 12k# GVWR with a 8' x 12' flatbed and the towing capacity of the Dodge 3500 with a Cummin 6BT. Not to mention the 4500 or 5500 or the F350/450/550. These are "big boy" trucks.

I own a Toyota ('92 Hilux 4x4) and for the smaller compact pickups they are my first choice. But for bigger one ton class pickups or cab chassis, they just don't come close to the kind of heavy duty components and capabilities of the Dodge or Ford or Chevy full sized HD pickups.

Now generally, most people who drive around in half and three quarter ton pickups, would be just fine in a lighter truck. But my plans for mine are to put a 3 to 4K# 12' self-contained camper on the truck once I fix the front end (steering and suspension) and do something about the transmission and work over the engine.

As far as I know, Toyota just doesn't offer a 4x4 truck in the USA that comes close to my Dodge 3500 4x4 dually.

No they don't. I wish Toyota would work with the Hilo diesel. They wouldnt get 60-65k from me though. Im done paying 50k for a pickup.
Question. Was the 7.3 ford motor as good as a cummins? People seem to think there even at least.

I've owned a couple of both. And the only thing that REALLY bothered me was when people refer to a Cummins as a Cummings. There is no "G" in a Cummins. Really. Stop saying/typing Cummings!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top