JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
bolus, your going to get yourself in trouble playing around offering up actual facts. The tin foil hat crowd does not forget.

"tin foil hat crowd" in this instance does not refer to any actual human or replica of a human and should not be used as a reason to hunt me down. Or call me names that might hunt my sensitive feelings.

Hey I am a member of a "Movement". Or was that the politically correct term of the 60's? I have been confused ever since!

My doctor is anti~ firearm, anti~hunting. Real anti~ trapping. She is a strict vegetarian. Which I have no problem with, because that is her choice. Bolus, suggested to tell your doctor to "F" off if you don't like it. In which I have done. As a matter of fact MY anti firearm, anti hunting, anti trapping, strict vegetarian doctor told me to "F" off too. That was a couple years ago, it was bubble gumming epic. We are now on good terms,{kinda.} She understands me, I understand her, { kinda} I do not trust her, knowing she to can make that phone call, on her own. I do not have anything to worry about, however it does not take 2 doctors to make that phone call. She is an awesome physician, she knows her bubble gum. With that being said, she is my doctor due to her skills, more importantly, she has small fingers during the yearly physical exam.:D Patient beware!

Wtf

I asked my wife and she says: "I'd probably tell them the truth"

Then proceeds to watch her bullbubblegum show and waits for a commercial to tell me that she would tell the truth then reminds me that I ince told her to say no.

"But, I know I would probably say it's none of their business"

Seriously that's some BS and I'm not too thrilled about it.

Background; wife is a nurse, works in a hospital

The last time I was at the doctor they didn't ask but quickly "discovered" it when I raised my shirt so they could hear my breathing. Explained I always carry and have a license. No issues in to doctor's room and no black helicopters overhead as I left.

My child's doctor was mentioning he had taken the safety course so he could get his CHL.

I had a similar experience at a reflexology appt. I didn't expect to be touched at 3 o'clock on my hip! The little Asian immigrant woman had not developed english skills yet, she just said "OH." I kept it simple and just said, "It's okay." No problem, people just want to be reassured, wife and I go there every few weeks.

BTW, I weigh in as a "just say no" guy. Not anyone's business!

Its obvious I am way out of my league here so I will bow out now and worry about something that might have an effect on my life.

I get what you're saying Mark, and I don't think it will effect our lives much either. At least at this time. I just get so tired of the creeping invasiveness into everyones life! It just screams "Nanny Society" to me!
I hate the term "Nanny State" too, BTW! Course I should change my handle to Non Compliant Patient anyway!

Wtf

I asked my wife and she says: "I'd probably tell them the truth"

Then proceeds to watch her bullbubblegum show and waits for a commercial to tell me that she would tell the truth then reminds me that I ince told her to say no.

"But, I know I would probably say it's none of their business"

Seriously that's some BS and I'm not too thrilled about it.

Background; wife is a nurse, works in a hospital

Dyj - I bet she will drag you kicking and screaming to see a doc over something you don't think is important, nag you if you don't do what the doc says, etc. But if it's her she will ignore doc's orders and tell you "it's fine" after knocking her self out from slipping on ice... oh - and will diagnose the worst case scenario for you and the kid(s) even if it's some disease that only is common in central Laos (or insert any country here).

How do I know this? yup - wife is an RN. Medical field people are the most non-compliant patients of all but are the first to nag anyone else for daring to ignore medical advice...

The kiddo's doc's office questionnaire did ask about firearms in the house - wife had agreed that N/A was the right answer - after all it doesn't apply to any diagnosis for the kid's health...

On the bright side the new doc is good - he's a motorcycle nut and has multiple carry permits on top of being a sharp doc... That's one of the advantages of having family working in the medical field - they know or can quickly find out which docs are preferred and which ones you should avoid...

"Dont like the question from the doc? tell them to F off and find another doc. That's it. done. problem solved."
- bolus

^^That's just good practice in lots of situations. Not just at the doctor's office.^^

If there is any kind of informal poll being taken about how I'd answer the question, I'd answer "no". That question has nothing to do with any medical diagnosis.
My wife has been prepped to do the same and I think she probably would check the "no" box.
My teenage daughter, on the other hand, would probably answer "yes". Unfortunately she doesn't have enough life experience yet to understand that even things that seem unimportant at the time can possibly come back later to haunt you. Loose lips, etc. Being a parent now is tough. How are you supposed to balance "always tell the truth" with "protect you liberty at all costs"?

Last Edited:
Medical field people are the most non-compliant patients of all but are the first to nag anyone else for daring to ignore medical advice...

I agree, Im a terrible patient as well. But I also see a lot of people at the end of their life and have no desire to go through all the stuff I do to patients. I need to figure out how to wire up a nursing home proximity mine to my head so that it explodes if anyone gets me close to a nursing home. I dont know why everyone wants to try to live as long as possible. The end is rarely the best part and involves a lot of pooping on yourself in a nursing home.

I agree, Im a terrible patient as well. But I also see a lot of people at the end of their life and have no desire to go through all the stuff I do to patients. I need to figure out how to wire up a nursing home proximity mine to my head so that it explodes if anyone gets me close to a nursing home. I dont know why everyone wants to try to live as long as possible. The end is rarely the best part and involves a lot of pooping on yourself in a nursing home.

I am with you on this but believe it's a person's right to make the choice, I don't think the state should get involved. They are with obamacare but not in a good way. The same ones that gave us abortion are going to practice euthanasia.o_O

Mentioning Obamacare and gun questions in this thread has little/nothing to do with the "tin foil hat" scenario. To me it falls into the simpler category of MYOFB.

In spite of Walmart's unpopular rep for labor/buying policies, many people I know shop there because they don't have to swipe a membership card or type in their phone number - to get a better price on wiper blades or a freaking tube of toothpaste!

Sure, a lot of it is already public record. But as a cash guy, I just don't enjoy coughing up details about my life every time someone asks. Or being baited - "pay less if you play along."

But who knows? Perhaps if the doctor could lower my insurance co-pays (which went way up last year), I'd be more inclined to exchange irrelevant personal info for a Preferred Customer Super Saver price.

Last Edited:
But who knows? Perhaps if the doctor could lower my insurance co-pays (which went way up last year), I'd be more inclined to exchange irrelevant personal info for a Preferred Customer Super Saver price.

The doctor does not set the insurance copay, your insurance does. Copays are their way of punishing you for spending their money. They wager the higher the copay, the less you will go to the doctor, the more profit they make.

The insurance sets these payments in the contract the doctor signs. Since insurances are huge and private doctor clinics are small, we have no room to negotiate it.

When I was part owner of a clinic, one insurance company dropped our reimbursement rate (that "usual and customary" payment that is listed on your report from the insurance) from something like 60% to 40% of our bills. This means they were only going to pay 40% of the bill we sent them. When we questioned it, they basically said F you, you're a small clinic, take it or leave it.

One of the many reasons I had to leave private practice.

Good point Bolus. Really. And I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. Everyone gets squeezed when huge companies that don't give a rat's *ss how you/I actually feel start dictating healthcare prices based on their bottom line.

From the consumer standpoint, insurance adjusts the percentage of my "co-pay" (if you will), and the doctor's staff hands me a clipboard of forms to complete with intrusive questions - about guns. So I experience: a visit to my doctor, an irrelevant/inappropriate inquiry, and an expensive bill (or a few) for the visit. An irritating trend at best.

My point is that one gun in my house, or 100, is none of their GD business. It bothers me to pay so much more and feel like a soul-less database (or a mom & pop clinic) is prying into my unrelated personal life.

My doc and I don't chat about where to find 22lr bricks or debate AR-15 vs. AK. Seems it would be far more relevant to ask me about my favorite pizza toppings since that might actually have some bearing on my health (and my ability to keep paying the bills).

Last Edited:
Not afraid at all. He's a good doctor who understands things about medicine that I pay him to manage for me. And the office is 2 minutes from here. I see other docs, too, and these damn questionnaires are increasingly common.

Lets face it. Getting old is not for sissies. Call me crazy... I'm just bugged with paying skyrocketing bills to be asked intrusive bullsh*t gun questions that have nothing to do with why I'm there.

Last Edited:
That was just a general statement to the attitude of this thread after reading a handful of posts, was in no way directed to you or any other individual singly.
Admittedly I hadn't read your prior post.

We're completely cool Os. This is the same chat we'd have over a shot and a pint. I need to hear how other folks process similar things - family, friends, co-workers, people online. Sort of a sanity-check to see if I'm the only one bugged about stuff like this.

Last Edited:
<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I only can report it if the patient tells me directly they are actively going to kill themselves or someone else.
Years ago (30 or so) I had a GF that was manic/depressive. We went shooting together many times and the RO at the "pit" even offered to take her pro if she wanted so she was a good shot. We broke up, a few weeks later her shrink called and told me she was out to kill me and go pick up her gun, which I did. I was certainly glad for his phone call!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
WAC Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Oh well LOL Tell em anything you want to.
Just remember these words.
"told ya so" its an easy one to remember :)
And remember that this goes into a permanent med file that eventually the gov will own, lock stock and barrel.........yeah they will !

Funny...............
I remember telling a guy once that shooting at that cone shaped grey paper looking thing in the tree was not a good idea also,......
He didn't listen. Then watching him scream like a lil girl jumping up and down swatting the air and running like a crazed chimp through the clearcut. Was funny as ample warning was given him before he shot at it the 2nd time. :DIt was about a half mile down to the river..............
Bald face hornets are relentless....... and as evil as those in gov that are wringing their hands on getting all that information access eventually. They will try to sting too. It's their nature.......

It's also darn annoying to be standing in an alder thicket, BS'ing a couple of buddies at lunch time, hearing bees somewhere. So you all start checking out the lower limbs around you; then one friend taps you on the shoulder, points down. There is the heel of your work boot in an underground hive of Yellow-jackets. Made for an interesting time. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top