JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"1/10 of 1%"

I believe most reasonable people fully understand that he's referring to "a very small minority" or "hardly any", by the use of an exaggerated generalization or figure of speech, and is not quoting any actual specific statistic gleaned from a scientific study.

I don't necessarily agree with the point he was making, but I get tired of people trying to score cheap points by purposely avoiding an obvious meaning just to goad someone or derail a thread.

It's like when someone says that 99.9%* of cops are good folks doing a tough job....
No, they're not saying it's an actual stat from some Harvard study of cops/goodness.
and 99.9%* of those reading that statement understand the meaning as "the vast majority of cops ..."

*also not from an actual study, just another figure of speech.

Now back to "Doc asking about guns in the home?......
My concern is not so much about medics asking adults that question, we know to say no ... it's that they are also asking your kids...probably followed by "does daddy and mommy let you touch guns at home?"

"1/10 of 1%"

I believe most reasonable people fully understand that he's referring to "a very small minority" or "hardly any", by the use of an exaggerated generalization or figure of speech, and is not quoting any actual specific statistic gleaned from a scientific study.

I don't necessarily agree with the point he was making, but I get tired of people trying to score cheap points by purposely avoiding an obvious meaning just to goad someone or derail a thread.

It's like when someone says that 99.9%* of cops are good folks doing a tough job....
No, they're not saying it's an actual stat from some Harvard study of cops/goodness.
and 99.9%* of those reading that statement understand the meaning as "the vast majority of cops ..."

Now back to "Doc asking about guns in the home?......
My concern is not so much about medics asking adults that question, we know to say no ... it's that they are also asking your kids...probably followed by "does daddy and mommy let you touch guns at home?"

We knew a good doctor in regard to firearms also once. He was our family physician and also our veterinarian :) and went hunting with all of us every year. But since then, I don't trust anyone connected to the AMA to give non medical personal information to.
These people with the survey type comments can't relate the word miniscule with 1/10 of 1%..... kind of funny actually.

We knew a good doctor in regard to firearms also once. He was our family physician and also our veterinarian :) and went hunting with all of us every year. But since then, I don't trust anyone connected to the AMA to give non medical personal information to.
These people with the survey type comments can't relate the word miniscule with 1/10 of 1%..... kind of funny actually.

The AMA represents very few of us. less than 15%
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3153537/

We need a strong national group to represent us, since we are getting shi*t on pretty regularly. But the AMA isnt that group.

If you give a none of your business, or not answering that one type response, they will just mark you down as having firearms. They can also just say the word and an LE will remove them from your home for any trumped up med reason they want to use.

As I said, the best answer is No, I, (we), do not have any, and leave it there.

These questions are not being asked for "safety " reasons they have sinister intent ultimately.

I'd like to see the ORS that gives law enforcement the authority to confiscate your guns based on a doctor's orders.

I'd like to see the ORS that gives law enforcement the authority to confiscate your guns based on a doctor's orders.

We have some mandatory reporting that is required by law but does not directly involve confiscation. I have to report a patient that says they are actively planning to kill themselves or someone else and is refusing help. It does not matter if they have a gun or not. But the police will be called and if someone is homicidal and has a gun, Im sure the police will not leave them armed.

I've only had to call the police a few times in my career. But they were for a welfare check. like "this elderly patient missed an appointment today, they have no family, can you drive by their house and check on them?" The police have always been helpful with this and they have saved a few lives checking on patients for us.

We have to report child abuse, elderly abuse, abuse of the mentally ill and if a medical worker if clearly endangering patients by being under the influence of alcohol or drugs. We also have to report certain risks to driving if someone had a seizure or similar.

Well sure. I've had a CHL since 1991 I've been filling out 4473's since 1980 I'm pretty sure the Gov Ment knows I own firearms.

But you making up statistics to try to promote a point of view is another matter. You have absolutely no idea how many Doctors or Health care workers are pro 2nd amendment or not.

That was my point.

Well sure. I've had a CHL since 1991 I've been filling out 4473's since 1980 I'm pretty sure the Gov Ment knows I own firearms.

But you making up statistics to try to promote a point of view is another matter. You have absolutely no idea how many Doctors or Health care workers are pro 2nd amendment or not.

That was my point.

I for one understand where you are coming from Mark. After years of being forced to pee in a bottle in order to drive a truck a man kinda gets used to government intrusion. It's just one more rule or regulation, it's all good right?:D

"1/10 of 1%"

84% of the statistics used in debates are made up on the spot.

While Obamacare and all of it's poorly disguised variants are being shoved down taxpayers' throats, it's no coincidence that invasive questions about guns start popping up, too. "Relaaaax, it's just a rubber glove..."

it actually says the following in obamacare:

''(c) PROTECTION OF SECOND AMENDMENT GUN RIGHTS.—
''(1) WELLNESS AND PREVENTION PROGRAMS.—A wellness
and health promotion activity implemented under subsection
(a)(1)(D) may not require the disclosure or collection of any
information relating to—
''(A) the presence or storage of a lawfully-possessed
firearm or ammunition in the residence or on the property
of an individual; or
''(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm
or ammunition by an individual.
''(2) LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION.—None of the
authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection
and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that
Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used for the
collection of any information relating to—
''(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm
or ammunition;
''(B) the lawful use of a firearm or ammunition; or
''(C) the lawful storage of a firearm or ammunition.

The NRA got that added.

my chiro has a chl and is a member of the local gun club and my md thinks pro sports should allow steroids. both of which i approve of. never been asked that question but i don't have young children

bolus, your going to get yourself in trouble playing around offering up actual facts. The tin foil hat crowd does not forget.

"tin foil hat crowd" in this instance does not refer to any actual human or replica of a human and should not be used as a reason to hunt me down. Or call me names that might hunt my sensitive feelings.

bolus, your going to get yourself in trouble playing around offering up actual facts. The tin foil hat crowd does not forget.

"tin foil hat crowd" in this instance does not refer to any actual human or replica of a human and should not be used as a reason to hunt me down. Or call me names that might hunt my sensitive feelings.

Funny thing, MIT found out that tin foil hats actually amplify frequencies used by the government

http://hacks.mit.edu/Hacks/by_year/2005/tinfoil_hats/

So did you take your dog to a doctor or did you take yourself to a veterinarian?

Our vet was our family dr !
Guess what he made house calls too.
Most folks dont realize it takes 9 yrs to be a vet but only 7 to be a dr LOL. Times were different.......
So did you take your dog to a doctor or did you take yourself to a veterinarian?

Officially a now useless thread as usual......

This topic is just the same non-issue every time it is brought up.

This is what is happening.

There are quite a few people who are idiots who do not know that letting their 4 year old around an unattended loaded gun is dangerous. These docs, for what ever reason (Im better than you, I must protect the children, whatever) feel it is their duty to ask people about guns for this very safety issue.

Studies show that if docs ask patients about safe gun practices around kids, less kids get accidentally shot.

That's it. No government conspiracy to document gun owners or some political agenda on mind control.

Should idiots be told that they should not do stupid things? should we help idiots keep their children alive to breed more idiots? I dont know. This topic is not about guns, it is about stupid people

Dont like the question from the doc? tell them to F off and find another doc. That's it. done. problem solved.

Awfully tin foil hat of the NRA to not trust the government and have that put in.:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top